- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Systematic Review of Clinical Nurses' Patient Safety Culture for Improving Nursing Work Environment
간호사의 근로환경 개선을 위한 환자안전문화의 체계적 문헌 분석
- Received : 2013.11.04
- Accepted : 2014.01.15
- Published : 2014.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to review the articles and theses on the patient safety culture of clinical nurses for identifying overall research trends regarding patient safety culture among hospital nurses, and to suggest strategies for improving nursing work environment related to patient safety culture. Methods: The subjects for this study were 17 articles selected according to inclusion criteria from five databases in Korea. Results: Seven articles were collected from nursing journals and ten from master's theses. The studies on the 17 articles were conducted at 66 hospitals from seven regions of Korea. The tools for patient safety culture were selected among the three tools from AHRQ and two Korean translation tools. The mean score of patient safety culture was 3.43. Conclusion: The findings from the article review indicate that, in order to improve nursing work environment for patient safety culture, the hospital and nursing manager should emphasize the education for patient safety, communication and open-minded reporting, and cooperation among the departments of hospital.
Patient safety;Environment;Nurses;Hospital;Review literature as topic
- Park, J. H.(2011). Hospital worker's perception of patient safety culture in small & medium hospital(Seoul, Incheon). Unpublished master thesis, Gachon University, Incheon.
- Poon, E. G., Blumenthal, D., Jaggi, T., Honour, M. M., Bates, D. W., & Kaushal, R.(2004). Overcoming barriers to adopting and implementing computerized physician order entry systems in US hospitals. Health Affairs, 23(4), 184-190. http://www.crossref.org/10.1377/hlthaff.23.4.184 https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.23.4.184
- Whitman, G. R., Kim, Y., Davidson, L. J., Wolf, G. A., & Wang, S. L.(2002). The impact of staffing on patient outcomes across specialty units. Journal of Nursing Administration, 32(12), 633-639. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200212000-00008
- Kohn, L. T., Corrigan, J. M., & Donaldson, M. S.(2000). To err is human: building a safer health system. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Kim, J. E., Kang, M. A., An, K. H., & Sung, Y. H.,(2007). Nurses' perception of error reporting and patient safety culture in Korea. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 29(7), 827-844. http://www.crossref.org/10.1177/0193945906297370 https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945906297370
- Kirk, S., Parker, D., Claridge, T., Esmail, A., & Marshall, M.(2007). Patient safety culture in primary care: Developing a theoretical framework for practical use. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 16(4), 313-320. http://www.crossref.org/10.1136/qshc.2006.018366 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2006.018366
- Kizer, K. W.(1999). The" new VA": A national laboratory for health care quality management. American Journal of Medical Quality, 14(1), 3-20. http://www.crossref.org/10.1177/106286069901400103 https://doi.org/10.1177/106286069901400103
- Korea Institute for healthcare Accreditation.(2013). Accreditation program for healthcare organizations. https://www.koiha.or.kr/english/index.act?page=AP. 15 Sep. 2013. date last accessed.
- Kukmin Newspaper.(2012. 05. 24). Statistics [9.2%] the case for inpatient experience, 39,109 people died of medical accidents. http://www.chsc.or.kr/xe/?document_srl=90826
- Kum, S. J.(2009). Military hospital worker's perception on patient safety culture. Unpublished master thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Mardon, R. E., Khanna, K., Sorra, J., Dyer, N., & Famolaro, T. (2010). Exploring relationships between hospital patient safety culture and adverse events. Journal of Patient Safety, 6(4), 226-232. http://www.crossref.org/doi: 10.1097/PTS.0b013e3181fd1a00 https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0b013e3181fd1a00
- National Patient Safety Agency.(2003). Patient safety incident report from: Healthcare staff. retrieved September 10, 2013, from, https://www.eforms.npsa.nhs.uk/staffreport
- Noh, Y. N.(2008). Analysis of perception patient safety culture among hospital workforce. Unpublished master thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Hospital Nurses Association.(2008). Clinical nursing practice guideline for fall prevention. 14 Sep. retrieved September 10, 2013, from, http://www.khna.or.kr/web/information/resource.php
- Feng, X., Bobay, K., & Weiss, M.(2008). Patient safety culture in nursing: A dimensional concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 63(3), 310-319. http://www.crossref.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04728.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04728.x
- Fleming, M.(2005). Patient safety culture measurement and improvement: A "how to" guide. Healthcare Quarterly, 8, 14-19. http://www.crossref.org/10.12927/hcq.2005.17656
- Friese, C. R., Lake, E. T., Aiken, L. H., Silber, J. H., & Sochalski, J. (2008). Hospital nurse practice environments and outcomes for surgical oncology patients. Health Service Research, 43(4), 1145-1163. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2007.00825.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2007.00825.x
- Institute of Medicine.(2004). Keeping patients safe: Transforming the work environment of nurses. Washington, DC: Author.
- Je, W. Y.(2007). Hospital workers' perception of patient safety culture in a university hospital. Unpublished master thesis, Nursing Science Sungkunkwan University, Seoul.
- Kang, M. A., Kim, J. E., An, K. E., Kim, Y., & Kim, S.(2005). Physicians' perception of and attitudes towards patient safety culture and medical error reporting. The Korea Society of Health Policy and Administration, 15(4), 110-135. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2005.15.4.110
- Kazanjian, A., Green, C., Wong, J., & Reid, R.(2005). Effect of the hospital nursing environment on patient mortality: A systematic review. Journal of Health Service Research and Policy, 10(2), 111-117. http://dx.doi.org/10.1258/1355819053559100 https://doi.org/10.1258/1355819053559100
- Kim, J. E., An, K. E., & Yoon, S. H.(2004). Nurses perception of the hospital environment and communication process related to patient safety in Korea. Journal of Korean Society of Medical Informatics, 10(Suppl 1), 130-135.
- Abbott, P. A.(2003). Research in patient safety, error reduction: A nursing perspective. In session presented at the post-conference for 8th International Congress in Nursing Informatics, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.(2012). Overall results. hospital survey on patient safety culture: 2012 user comparative database report. retrieved September 14, 2013, from, http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patientsafety/patientsafetyculture/hospital/2012/hosp12ch5.html
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.(2004). AHRQ Publication. No.04-0041. Hospital survey on patient culture. retrieved September 14, 2013, from, http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patientsafetyculture/hospital/userguide/hospcult.pdf
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.(2013). AHRQ common formats. retrieved September 14, 2013, from, https://www.psoppc.org/web/patientsafety
- Aiken, L. H., Clarke, S. P., Cheung, R. B., Sloane, D. M., & Silber, J. H.(2003). Educational levels of hospital nurses and surgical patient mortality. Journal of the American Medical Association, 290(12), 617-1623. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.12.1617 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.12.1617
- Aspden, P., Corrigan, J. M., Wolcott, J., & Erickson, S. M.(Eds.). (2004). Patient safety: Achieving a new standard for care . Washington, D. C.: National Academies Press.
- Choi, M. H.(2010). Perception of patient safety culture and influencing the factors among hospital workers . Unpublished master thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Cochrance.(2011, March). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Retrieved September 29, 2013. from http://handbook.cochrane.org/
- Effects of Disaster Safety Awareness and Safety Culture on the Safety of Welfare Facilities for the Elderly vol.18, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2018.18.5.203