- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Environmental Radioactivity and High Incidence Rates of Stomach and Esophagus Cancer in the Van Lake Region: A Causal Relationship?
- Akan, Zafer ;
- Baskurt, Busranur ;
- Asliyuksek, Hizir ;
- Kam, Erol ;
- Yilmaz, Ahmet ;
- Yuksel, Mehmet Bilgehan ;
- Biyik, Recep ;
- Esen, Ramazan ;
- Koca, Dogan
- Published : 2014.01.15
This study examined the incidence rates of cancer cases (averages for 2006-2010) and relationships with environmental radioactivity levels. Soil and water samples were collected from provincial and district centers of Van city and the outdoor gamma doses were determined using a portable gamma scintillation detector. Gross alpha and beta, (226)Ra, (232)Th, and (40)K activities were measured in both tap water and soil samples. Although high rates of stomach and esophagus cancers have been reported previously in Van the underlying reasons have not hitherto been defined. Incidences of cancers were highest in the Gurpmar (326.0) and Ozalp (377.1) counties (p<0.001). As to the results of the gross alpha and gross beta radioactivity measurements in the drinking water, these two counties also had high beta radionuclide levels: Gurpmar (
Gastrointestinal system cancers;environmental radioactivity;Van;Turkey
- TAEK Technical Report (2012). Kapali Ortamlarda Radon Gazi (Indoor Radon Gas). Turkish Atomic Energy Authority, Ankara Turkey 2012/3.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A, (2012). Cancer statistics 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Royal HD (2008). Effects of low level radiation-what's new? Semin Nucl Med, 38, 392-402. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semnuclmed.2008.05.006
- Sont WN, Zielinski JM, Ashmore JP, et al (2001). First analysis of cancer incidence and occupational radiation exposure based on the National Dose Registry of Canada. Am J Epidemiol, 153, 309-18. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/153.4.309
- Tondel M, Lindgren P, Hjalmarsson P, et al (2006). Increased incidence of malignancies in Sweden after the Chernobyl accident-a promoting effect? Am J Ind Med. 49, 159-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20271
- Tuncer I, UgrasS, Uygan I, et al (2001). Comparison of histopathological and cytological (Touch Smear) findings in the diagnosis of esophagus and gastric cancers. Turkiye Klinikleri J Gastroenterohepatol, 12, 32-6
- UNSCEAR (1988). United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, Sources and Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation. United Nations, New York.
- UNSCEAR (2000). Sources and effects of ionizing radiaition. Report of the United Nations Scientific Committee on the effect of Atomic Radiation to the General Assembly. United Nations, New York, USA.
- WHO (2004). Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality, third ed. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
- Kam E, Ahmet Bozkurt A (2007). Environmental radioactivity measurements in Kastamonu region of northern Turkey. Appl Radiat Isot, 65, 440-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2006.11.005
- Hu J, La Vecchia C, Morrison H, et al (2011). Canadian Cancer Registries Epidemiology Research Group. Salt, processed meat and the risk of cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev, 20, 132-9.
- Jemal A, Tiwari RC, Murray T, et al (2004). American Cancer Society. Cancer statistics, 2004. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 8-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.1.8
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2012). Cancer statistics in Korea: Incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2009. Cancer Res Treat, 44, 11-24 https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2012.44.1.11
- Karahan G, Ozturk N, Bayulken A (2000). Natural radioactivity in various surface waters in İstanbul. Turkey Water Res. 34, 4367-70 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00219-0
- Karahan G (2010). Risk assessment of baseline outdoor gamma Dose Rate Levels Study of Natural Radiaition Sources in Bursa, Turkey. Radiat Prot Dosimetry, 142, 324-31 https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncq217
- Kosem M, UgrasS, Ozen S, et al (2001). The frequency and distribution of malignancies around Lake Van. Cukurova Med J, 26, 30-6
- Lazarevic K, Nagorni A, Rancic N, et al (2010). Dietary factors and gastric cancer risk: hospital-based case control study. J BUON. 15, 89-93.
- Martin-Moreno JM, Soerjomataram I, Magnusson G (2008). Cancer causes and prevention: a condensed appraisal in Europe in 2008. Eur J Cancer. 44, 1390-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.02.002
- Otansev P, Karahan G, Kam E, et al (2012). Assessment of natural radioactivity concentrations and gamma dose rate levels in Kayseri, Turkey. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 148, 227-36 https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncr023
- Robertson AG, Pengilley A (2012). Fukushima nuclear incident: the challenges of risk communication. Asia Pac J Public Health. 24, 689-96. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539512453258
- Armstrong BK, Kricker A (2001). The epidemiology of UV induced skin cancer. J Photochem Photobiol B, 63, 8-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1011-1344(01)00198-1
- Beck HL (1975). The Physics of Environmental Radiation fields. Natural radiation environment II, Conf-720805 P2.
- In: Proceeding of the Second International on the Natural Radiation Environment. Choi IJ (2013). Current evidence of effects of Helicobacter pylori eradication on prevention of gastric cancer. Korean J Intern Med. 28, 525-37. https://doi.org/10.3904/kjim.2013.28.5.525
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007). Cancer Incidence in Fve Continents, vol. 9. Lyon: IARC.
- Gilbert ES, Omohundro E, Buchanan JA, Holter NA. (1993). Mortality of workers at the Hanford site: 1945-1986. Health Phys, 64, 577-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004032-199306000-00001
- Analysis of Relationships between Altitude and Distance from Volcano with Stomach Cancer Incidence Using a Geographic Information System vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6889