- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Haematologic Parameters in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Patients Treated with Capecitabine Combination Therapy
- Inanc, Mevlude (Kayseri Training and Research Hospital, Erciyes University) ;
- Duran, Ayse Ocak (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University) ;
- Karaca, Halit (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University) ;
- Berk, Veli (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University) ;
- Bozkurt, Oktay (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University) ;
- Ozaslan, Ersin (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University) ;
- Ozkan, Metin (Medical Oncology Department, Erciyes University)
- 발행 : 2014.01.15
Background: The standard treatment in the metastatic colorectal cancer consists of 5-FU based infusional regimens. However, with oral fluoropyrimidines, equal tumor responses may be obtained. Capecitabine causes macrocytosis of the cells by inhibition of DNA synthesis. In this context, a relationship was found between mean corpuscular volume (MCV) and response to therapy in breast cancer patients treated with Capecitabine, but whether this relationship also pertains in colorectal cancer has not been established. Materials and Methods: A total of 102 metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with a oxaliplatin (XELOX)
- Scappaticci FA, Skillings JR, Holden SN, et al (2007). Arterial thromboembolic events in patients with metastatic carcinoma treated with chemotherapy and bevacizumab. J Natl Cancer Inst, 99, 1232-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djm086
- Shibutani M, Maeda K, Nagahara H, et al (2013). A High preoperative neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio is associated with poor survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Anticancer Res, 33, 3291-4.
- Sun NC, McAfee WM, Hum GJ, et al (1979). Hemostatic abnormalities in malignancy, a prospective study of one hundred eight patients. Part I. Coagulation studies. Am J Clin Pathol, 71, 10-6.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, et al (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 205-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.205
- Walsh SR, Cook EJ, Goulder F, et al (2005). Neutrophillymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factor in colorectal cancer. J Surg Oncol, 91, 181-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20329
- Wenzel C, Mader RM, Steger GG, et al (2003). Capecitabine treatment results in increased mean corpuscular volume of red blood cells in patients with advanced solid malignancies. Anticancer Drugs, 14, 119-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001813-200302000-00005
- Mallappa S, Sinha A, Gupta S, et al (2013). Preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio >5 is a prognostic factor for recurrent colorectal cancer. Colorectal Dis, 15, 323-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/codi.12008
- Karvellas CJ, Sawyer M, Hamilton M, et al (2004). Effect of capecitabine on mean corpuscular volume in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 27, 364-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.COC.0000071464.83271.08
- Kilincalp S, Ekiz F, Başar O, et al (2013). Mean platelet volume could be possible biomarker in early diagnosis and monitoring of gastric cancer. Platelets [Epub ahead of print]
- Lin EY, Pollard JW (2004). Role of infiltrated leucocytes in tumour growth and spread. Br J Cancer, 90, 2053-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601705
- Monreal M, Fernandez-Llamazares J, Pinol M, et al (1998). Platelet count and survival in patients with colorectal cancer--a preliminary study. Thromb Haemost, 79, 916-8.
- Mutlu H, Berk V, Karaca H, et al (2012).Treatment regimen with bevacizumab decreases mean platelet volume in patients with metastatic colon cancer. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost, 18, 546-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029611430958
- Noh H, Eomm M, Han A (2013). Usefulness of pretreatment neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio in predicting disease-specific survival in breast cancer patients. J Breast Cancer, 16, 55-9. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.1.55
- Peterson JE, Zurakowski D, Italiano JE Jr, et al( 2010). Normal ranges of angiogenesis regulatory proteins in human platelets. Am J Hematol, 85, 487-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.21732
- Pichler M, Hutterer GC, Stoeckigt C, et al (2013). Validation of the pre-treatment neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio as a prognostic factor in a large European cohort of renal cell carcinoma patients. Br J Cancer, 108, 901-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.28
- Roxburgh CS, Salmond JM, Horgan PG, et al (2009). Comparison of the prognostic value of inflammation-based pathologic and biochemical criteria in patients undergoing potentially curative resection for colorectal cancer. Ann Surg, 249, 788-93. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181a3e738
- Gordon MS, Cunningham D (2005). Managing patients treated with bevacizumab combination therapy. Oncol, 69, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1159/000088481
- Arslan C, Aksoy S, Dizdar O, et al (2011). Increased mean corpuscular volume of erythrocytes during capecitabine treatment: a simple surrogate marker for clinical response. Tumori, 97, 711-6.
- Balkwill F, Mantovani A (2001). Inflammation and cancer: back to Virchow? Lancet, 357, 539-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)04046-0
- Biarc J, Nguyen IS, Pini A, et al (2004). Carcinogenic properties of proteins with pro-inflammatory activity from Streptococcus infantarius (formerly S.bovis). Carcinogenesis, 25, 1477-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgh091
- Grem JL, McAtee N, Balis F, et al (1993). A phase II study of continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin with weekly cisplatin in metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Cancer, 72, 663-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930801)72:3<663::AID-CNCR2820720307>3.0.CO;2-V
- Hapani S, Wu S (2011). Controversial role of bevacizumab in the development of venous thromboembolic events. J Clin Oncol, 29, 3490-1.
- Hoffbrand AV, Waters AH(1972). Observations on the biochemical basis of megaloblastic anaemia. Br J Haematol, 23, 109-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.1972.tb03511.x
- Italiano JE Jr, Richardson JL, Patel-Hett S, et al( 2008) Angiogenesis is regulated by a novel mechanism: pro-and antiangiogenic proteins are organized into separate platelet alpha granules and differentially released. Blood, 111, 1227-33.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global Cancer Statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jurasz P, Chung AW, Radomski A, et al (2002). Nonremodeling properties of matrix metalloproteinases: the platelet connection. Circ Res, 90, 1041-3. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.0000021398.28936.1D
- Alonso-Escolano D, Strongin AY, et al (2004). Membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase stimulates tumour cell-induced platelet aggregation: role of receptor glycoproteins. Br J Pharmacol, 141, 241-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705606
- Altinoz MA, Korkmaz R (2004). NF-kappaB, macrophage migration inhibitory factor and cyclooxygenase-inhibitions as likely mechanisms behind the acetaminophen-and NSAID-prevention of the ovarian cancer. Neoplasma, 51, 239-47.
- Lack of Prognostic Value of Mean Corpuscular Volume with Capecitabine Therapy in Metastatic Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2501
- Diagnostic and prognostic roles of the mean platelet volume in malignant tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis vol.27, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3109/09537104.2016.1169265
- Prediction of outcome in breast cancer patients using test parameters from complete blood count vol.4, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2016.827
- The mean corpuscular volume as a prognostic factor for colorectal cancer pp.1436-2813, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-017-1575-x
- Role of increased mean platelet volume (MPV) and decreased MPV/platelet count ratio as poor prognostic factors in lung cancer pp.17526981, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/crj.12605