- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Association of Self-esteem and Social support with Depressive symptoms in College Students
일부 대학생들의 자아존중감 및 사회적 지지와 우울과의 관련성
- Received : 2014.01.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.05.31
The purpose of this study was to estimate self-esteem, social support and depressive symptoms among college students, as well as to reveal its related factors. The self-administered questionnaire was filled out by 471 students from university located in Daejon city and Chungnam during two weeks from April 23, 2013. As a results, lower the self-esteem is, the depression level comes out to be higher. Also weaker social support is the factor to give rise to depression. Self-esteem and social support showed negative correlation with depression. Social support showed positive correlation with self-esteem. According to hierarchical multiple regression analysis, following factors influence depression level with explanatory powers of 23.8%: sex, age, stress for body shape, perceived economical status, studying time, self-esteem, and social support. In the conclusion, this result imply that depression level of college students is closely related to self-esteem and social support. Especially, social support showed higher correlation with depression.
College student;Self-esteem;Social support;Depressive symptom
- Jang MH, Won JS. Association of Anger and Anger Expression, Social Support, Self-Esteem, and Depression in Elderly, J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 18(3): 259-268, 2009.
- Radloff LS. The CES-D Scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, 1977; 1(3): 385-401 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Park SM. The Effect of Middle-Aged Women's Social Support, Life Stresses and Self-Esteem on Depression. Graduate School of Dong-A University, Master's Thesis, 2009.
- Lim JS, Jang SY, Jang HJ, Jeong JY, Kang KH. A Study on stress and TMD factor of university student. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 2(4):39-45, 2011.
- Hwang HJ, Lee MS, Hong JY. Related factors with the depression in the rural people. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 2(1):21-29, 2011.
- Lee SJ. A Study on Effect of Self-Esteem, Stress and Social Support on Depression of Housewives, Graduate School of Wonkwang University, Master's Thesis, 2012.
- Lee OH, The Influence of Life Stress, Ego-Resilience and Social Support on Psychological Well-Being among College Students, Korea Youth Research Association, 19(1): 29-57, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1223 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1223
- Lee JS, Lee SY, Rho JO, The Effect of Body Weight Status, Perception of Body Shape and Satisfation of Body Shape on Obesity Stress, Self-esteem among Male and Female Middle School Students, Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 21(6): 1223-1234, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.6.1223
- Ha JY. Impact of Self-esteem, Family Function and Social Support on Stress in Undergraduate Students, J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, 17(2): 259-266, 2010.
- Kim JY, Kim JG. Psycho-social predicting factors Model of Postpartum Depression, The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 13(1): 111-140, 2008. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2008.13.1.007
- Cho GH, Affects of Self-Esteem, Melancholy, and Social Support on the Thinking of Suicide of the Elderly, Graduate School of Keimyung University, Master's Thesis, 2011.
- Min JY. Effects of Perceived Competence and Social Support on Depression of Adolescents: Mediation Effects of Self-Esteem, Graduate School of Anyang University, Doctor's Theses, 2010.
- Kim Ma. The Effects of Perceived Social Support and Self-esteem on Depression of Adolescents, Graduate School of Education, YeungNam University, Master's Thesis, 2007.
- Yuh JI, Chung MJ. The Relationship between Perceived Social Support and Children's Depressive Symptoms: Examining the Mediating Role of Self-Worth in Path Analysis, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 47(10): 29-37, 2009.
- WHO. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment. Sydney, Australia, Health Communications Australia Pty Ltd, 2000
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self image. Princeton, N.J. Princeton University press., 1965
- Cutrona CE, Russe DW, The Provision of Social Relationships and adaptation to stress. In W. H. Jones, D. Perlman(Edss), Advances in personal relationship, Greenwich, CI: JAI Press, 1987; 1: 37-67
- Kim GS, Jeon YS, Lee CW. The Influence of Attachment, Differentiation and Self-Esteem on Adolescent Depressions, Journal of Korean Family Therapy, 17(1):209-224, 2009.
- Beck AT, Young JE. College Blues, Psychology Today, 1978; 9: 80-92
- Kim NE. Factors affecting depression of college freshmen, Mental Health and Social Work, 40(4): 5-26, 2012.
- Sim HO. Attributional style and mediators, self-esteem and social support influencing on university students' depression, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 34:63-74, 1996.
- Thoits PA. Conceptual, Methodological, and theoretical problems in studying social support as a buffer against life stress, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 1982; 23: 45-159 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2136511 https://doi.org/10.2307/2136511
- Cohen S, Hoberman H. Positive Events and Social Support as Buffer of Life Change Stress. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 1983; 13(2): 99-125 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1983.tb02325.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1983.tb02325.x
- Dimond M, Jones SL. Social Support: A Review and Theoretical Integration. In P. L. Chin(Ed.), Advance in Nursing Theory, 1983; 235-247. Rockville, Md.: Aspen.
- Choi BA, Go EY, Lee SY, Seo YS. Maladaptive Perfectionism, Hopelessness, Depression, Psychache, and Suicidal Ideation, Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 23(3): 693-716, 2011.
- Han JY, Park K. The mediating Effects of Shame and Cognitive Coping Strategies Between Maladaptive Perfectionism and Depression, Korea Youth Research Association, 18(9): 169-188, 2011.
- Kang SH, Moon ES, Cha MY. The Structural Relationships among Life Even Stress, Social Support, Depression, and Suicidal Ideation: A Comparison of Boy and Girl High School Students. The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 25(2):277-293, 2011.
- Kim HJ. The effects of Sociocultural Attitude Toward Appearance, Appearance Satisfaction, Body-Image, and Self-Esteem on Interpersonal Relationship Ability of Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 18(1): 62-70, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.062 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.062
- Cha NH, Seo EJ. The Relationship between Anger Expression and Self-esteem in Nursing College Students, J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, 23(4): 451-459, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.451 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.451
- Korea National Statistical Office. Korean Statistical Information Service. [cited 2009 October 31]. Available form: URL:http:/www.koss.kr.
- National Statistical Office. Korea Statistical Yearbook. The 55th Edition, Daejeon: National Statistical Office; 2008
- Yoon MS, Lee HS. The Relationship between Depression, Job Preparing Stress and Suicidal Ideation Among College Students: Moderating Effect of Problem Drinking, Korea Youth Research Association, 19(3): 109-137, 2012.
- Lee JH, Park KS, Kim RB, Chun JH. The Influence of Individual-Level Social Capital on Depression, J Agric Med Community Health, 36(2): 73-86, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.2.073 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.2.073
- Kim KH, Kim OS. Depression and Drinking Pattern among College Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing 12(1): 43-53, 2000.
- Lee MH, Nam HS, Sohn SJ, Rhee JA, Kim BW. Assessment of Depression and Relates in College Freshman Students, Journal of Korean Public Health Assocation, 1999; 20(2): 71-84, 1999.
- Riolo SA. Nguyen TA, Greden JF, King CA. Prevalence of depression by race/ethnicity: Finding from the national health and nutrition examination survey III. American Journal of Public Health 2005; 95(6): 998-1000 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.047225 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.047225
- Vrendenburg K. O'Brien E, Krames L, Depression in college students: Personality and experiential factors. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 1988; 35: 410-425 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.520
- Yoon MS, Choi JM. The Influence of Parent Attachment on Psychological Well-Being in Early Adolescence: Moderate Effect of Self-Esteem, Korean Association of Youth Welfare, 13(2): 55-78, 2011.
- Analysis of Convergent Factors Related to Depression among Some College Women of Health Affiliated Educations vol.13, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.367