- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Speech Rate and Pause Characteristics in Speaker with Flaccid Dysarthria
이완형 마비말장애 화자의 말속도와 쉼 특성
- Hong, Saemi (Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Byeon, Haewon (Dept. of Speech Language Pathology & Audiology, Nambu University)
- Received : 2014.01.07
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.05.31
The purposes of this study were to investigate the characteristics of speech rate and pause in patients with flaccid dysarthria. For this purpose, 15 patients with flaccid dysarthria and 15 normal speakers matched in gender and age participated as subjects. The overall speech rate, the articulation rate, the inter-sentence and the intra-sentence pause duration and pause frequency were measured during reading the standardized passage "Autumn"(Kim, 1996). As a result, the overall speech rate and articulation rate of patients with flaccid dysarthria were significantly slower than normal speakers and intra-sentence pause duration and frequency of patients with flaccid dysarthria were significantly higher than normal speakers, but those of inter-sentence weren't. The results from this study provides the speech rate index of flaccid dysarthria and indicates that to control the speech rate of flaccid dysarthria have regard to not only the overall speech rate and the articulation rate but also the intra-sentence pause duration and the frequency.
- Goldman-Eisler, F., Psycholinguistics: experiments in spontaneous speech, New York, NY: Academic Press. 1968.
- Ko, Y., Kim, D. Y., Choi, Y., Kim, H., "Speech rate and pause characteristics in patients with Parkinson's disease", Phonetics and Speech Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 173-184, 2010.
- Kim, K., Shim, H., "The reading rate characteristics of adults with cerebral palsy", Journal of Special Education, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 49-72, 2001.
- Yoon, M. S., "Speech rate and pause characteristics of adults with hearing impairment", Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 15-29, 2004.
- Chio, H. J., "Oral reading rate and features of pauses of profoundly hearing-impaired and normally hearing children at school age", master's thesis of Ehwa University, Seoul, 2002.
- Seo, I. H., Sung, C., "The prosodic characteristics of dysarthria with respect to speech rate and intonation slope", Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 390-402, 2012.
- Yokrston, K. M., Beukelman, D. R., Bell, K. R., Clinical management of dysarthric speakers, San Diego, CA: College-Hill Press. 1988.
- Shriberg, L. D., Kwiatkowski, J., "Phonological disordersIII: A procedure for assessing severity of involvement", Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 256-270. 1982. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshd.4703.256
- Freed, D. B., Motor speech disorders: Diagnosis and treatment, New York, NY: Cengage Learning. 2011.
- Kim S. J., "Comparing the intelligibility of spastic and flaccid types", Korean Journal of Speech Sciences, Vol. 48, pp. 1-17. 2003.
- Park, J. H., "Articulation and phonological errors during reading passage of spastic and flaccid dysarthria", master's thesis of Ehwa University, Seoul, 2009.
- Kim, H,. Neurologic speech language disorders, Seoul: Sigma press. 2012.
- McRae, P. A., Tjaden, K., Schoonings, B., "Acoustic and perceptual consequences of articulatory rate change in Parkinson disease", Journal of Speech Language and Hearing research, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 35-50. 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2002/003) https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2002/003)
- Solomon, N., Hixon, T., "Speech breathing in Parkinson's disease", Journal of Speech and Hearing research, Vol. 36, pp. 294-310. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3602.294
- Darley, F. L., Aronson, A. E., Brown, J. R., "Clusters of deviant speech dimensions in the dysarthrias", Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 462-496. 1969. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/jshr.1203.462 https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.1203.462
- Duffy, J. R., Motor speech disorders: Substrates, differential diagnosis, and management, St. Louis, MO: Mosby. 1995.
- Hammen, V. L., Yorkston, K. M., "Speech and pause characteristics following speech rate reduction in hypokinetic dysarthria", Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 429-445. 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9924(95)00037-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9924(95)00037-2
- Yorkston, K. M., Hammen, V. L., Beukelman, K. R., Traynor, C. D., "The effect of rate control on the intelligibility and naturalness of dysarthric speech", Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 550-560. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshd.5503.550