- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Predicting Double-Blade Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Performance by a Quadruple-Multiple Streamtube Model
- Hara, Yutaka ;
- Kawamura, Takafumi ;
- Akimoto, Hiromichi ;
- Tanaka, Kenji ;
- Nakamura, Takuju ;
- Mizumukai, Kentaro
- Received : 2013.12.02
- Accepted : 2014.01.21
- Published : 2014.03.31
Double-blade vertical axis wind turbines (DB-VAWTs) can improve the self-starting performance of lift-driven VAWTs. We here propose the quadruple-multiple streamtube model (QMS), based on the blade element momentum (BEM) theory, for simulating DB-VAWT performance. Model validity is investigated by comparison to computational fluid dynamics (CFD) prediction for two kinds of two-dimensional DB-VAWT rotors for two rotor scales with three inner-outer radius ratios: 0.25, 0.5, and 0.75. The BEM-QMS model does not consider the effects of an inner rotor on the flow speed in the upwind half of the rotor, so we introduce a correction factor for this flow speed. The maximum power coefficient predicted by the modified BEM-QMS model for a DB-VAWT is thus closer to the CFD prediction.
Wind turbine;Double-blade rotor;VAWT;BEM;CFD;QMS
- Wilson, R.E., Walker, S.N., 1981, "Fixed-Wake Analysis of the Darrieus Rotor," SAND 81-7026.
- Sutherland H. J., Berg D. E., Ashwill T. D., 2012, "A retrospective 1 of VAWT technology," SAND 2012-0304.
- Hara, Y., 2012, "Proposals for Butterfly Wind Turbine and Quadruple-Multiple Streamtube Model," Mechanical Engineering Congress, 2012 Japan (MECJ-12), DVD-No.12-1, S051042 (in Japanese).
- Akimoto, H., Tanaka, K., and Uzawa, K., 2011, "Floating Axis Wind Turbines for Offshore Power Generation (A Conceptual Study)," Environmental Research Letters, Vol. 6, No. 4, 044017. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/6/4/044017
- Paulsen, U. S., Vita, L., Madsen, H. A., Hattel, J., Ritchie, E., Leban, K. M., Berthelsen, P. A., Carstensen, S., 2012, "1st Deep Wind 5 MW Baseline Design," Energy Procedia, Vol. 24, pp. 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.06.083
- Akimoto, H., Nakamura, T., Mizumukai, K., and Hara, Y., 2012, "New Concept of Floating Axis Wind Turbine Assisted by a Savonius Turbine in Water," 1st Asian Wave and Tidal Conference (AWTEC 2012), Jeju Island, Korea, B2-4.
- http://vertaxwind.com/ (last retrieved 2013/4)
- http://www.verticalwind.se/EN/index.html (last retrieved 2013/4)
- http://www.floatingwindfarms.com/ (last retrieved 2013/4)
- Paraschivoiu, I., 2002, Wind Turbine Design with Emphasis on Darrieus Concept, Polytechnic International Press.
- Migliore, P. G., Wolfe, W. P., and Fanucci, J. B., 1980, "Flow Curvature Effects on Darrieus Turbine Blade Aerodynamics, " J. ENERGY, Vol. 4, No. 2, No.79-0112R, pp. 49-55. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.62459
- Furukawa, A., Takamatsu, Y., Takenouchi, K., 1990, "Theoretical Considerations in an Approximate Method for Estimating the Blade Performance of a Darrieus-Type Cross-Flow Water Turbine," Mem. Fac. Eng., Kyushu Univ., Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Sheldahl, R. E. and Klimas, P. C., 1981, "Aerodynamic Characteristics of Seven Symmetrical Airfoil Sections Through 180-Degree Angle of Attack for Use in Aerodynamic Analysis of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines," SAND 80-2114.
- Kumar, V., Paraschivoiu, M., Paraschivoiu, I., 2010, "Low Reynolds Number Vertical Axis Wind Turbine for Mars," Wind Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 461-476. https://doi.org/10.1260/0309-524X.3.4.461
- Berg D. E., 1983, "An Improved Double-Multiple Streamtube Model for the Darrieus-Type Vertical Axis Wind Turbine," Sixth Biennial Wind Energy Conference and Workshop, Minneapolis, NM, pp. 231-238.
- Islam, M., Ting, D. S-K., and Fartaj, A., 2007, "Desirable Airfoil Features for Smaller-Capacity Straight-Bladed VAWT," Wind Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 165-196. https://doi.org/10.1260/030952407781998800
- Tanino, T., Nakao, S., Miyaguni, T., and Takahashi, K., 2011, "Influence of Reynolds Number and Scale on Performance Evaluation of Lift-type Vertical Axis Wind Turbine by Scale-model Wind Tunnel Tests," International Journal of Fluid Machinery and Systems, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 229-234. https://doi.org/10.5293/IJFMS.2011.4.2.229
- Comparison between symmetrical and cambered blade sections for small-scale wind turbines with low center of gravity vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1299/jfst.2014jfst0006
- Effects of blade section on performance of butterfly wind turbines as double-blade VAWTs vol.10, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1299/jfst.2015jfst0003
- Experiment and numerical simulation of an aluminum circular-blade butterfly wind turbine vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1299/jfst.2016jfst0010
- Investigations on the Effect of Radius Rotor in Combined Darrieus-Savonius Wind Turbine vol.2018, pp.1542-3034, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3568542