- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Attitude toward Marriage, Pregnancy and Abortion among Korean Nursing Students
간호대학생의 결혼, 임신 및 낙태에 대한 태도
- Received : 2014.02.14
- Accepted : 2014.05.13
- Published : 2014.05.31
Purpose: There recurred controversies related to legal allowance of abortion since newly advancing prenatal genetic testing technology. This survey was aimed to identify the attitudes toward marriage, and pregnancy (AMP) and terminating pregnancy (ATP) among Korean nursing students. Method: A descriptive study was performed from October to November 2012 in South Korea. 424 nursing students responded to two types of tools developed by authors. Questionnaire for ATP is consisted of 10 items with 5-points Likert Scale. Questionnaire for AMP is 12 items containing 5 categories. Results: Mean score of ATP was 36.90. Students that are enrolled in bachelor degree had a significant higher ATP. Students who are currently dating with an opposite gender showed much higher level of ATP than those are not. Lower group of delayed the time of getting marriage and pregnancy showed highest score of ATP, significantly. Conclusion: Individual factor must be primarily considered when assessing ATP of nursing students, for example current relationship with opposite gender and educational background, attitude toward marriage and pregnancy. Further studies are needed to identify personal factors of the young adults affecting on the ATP.
- Lee, S. S., Jung, Y. S., Kim, H. K., Choi, E. Y., Park, S. K,, Cho, N. H., et al. (2005). National trend of marriage and birth in 2005. Seoul, Korea, Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- LeRoy, B. S., Veach, P. M., & Bartlels, D. M. (2010). Genetic counseling practice. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2013). Recent legal information. Retrieved October 29, 2013, from http://law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=137037&viewCls=lsRvsDocInfoR#0000(2013)
- National Institute of Health (2013). Abortion. Retrieved December 29, 2013, from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/abortion.html
- National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (2012). Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) factsheet. Retrieved July 29, 2013, from http://www.nchpeg.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=384&Itemid=255
- Sarvis, B., & Rodman, H. (1973). The abortion controversy. New York, Columbia University Press.
- Son, Y. S. (2010). The medicolegal understanding regarding fetocide in the criminal law and artificial termination in the mother and child health law. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 53(6), 467-474. http://dx.doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.6.467 https://doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.6.467
- Statistics Korea. (2013). Korean social index. Retrieved November 4, 2013, from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/1/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=269287&pageNo=1&
- Kwon, H. J., Kim, Y. J., Kwon, S. J., Park, S. A., Ahn, Y. M., Oh, K. S., et al. (2011). College students' perception on childbirth as a challenge. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18(1), 175-200.
- Lee, S. Y. (2011). Comparative study of self-differentiation and relationship with parents to the outlook on marriage between male and female university students. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Pusan.
- Lee, S. S. (2006). A study on impact of the change in values on marriage and fertility behaviors. Health and Social Welfare Review, 26(2), 95-140.
- Lee, H. W. (2010). Study on the improvement of the childbirth promotion policy. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. S., & Choe, M. J. (2011, June). Low fertility and population aging: Socioeconomic impacts of baby bust. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the 2011 EWC (East-West Center)-KIHSA (Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs) Joint Conference, Hawaii, USA.
- Choi, H. M. (2011). A study on notion of marriage among college students. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Haany University, Daegu.
- Bang, Y. E. (2010). A study on the direction of childbirth promotion policies. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The University of Seoul, Seoul.
- Chang, S. J., Lee, K. J., Kim, I. S., & Lee, W. H. (2008). Older Korean people's desire to participate in health care decision making. Nursing Ethics, 15(1), 73-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0969733007083936 https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733007083936
- Chun, H., & Das Gupta, M. (2009). Gender discrimination in sex selective abortions and its transition in South Korea. Women's Studies International Forum, 32(2), 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wsif.2009.03.008
- Choi, J. Y. (2009). A study of awareness on the ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of genetic testing in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Han, B. Y. (2006). The developments in the consciousness of university students in terms of family law in Korean society. Korean Journal of Family Law, 20(1), 291-319.
- Jun, M. H., Choi, K. S., & Shin, G. (2012). Current issues and tasks of genetic cancer nursing in Korea. Asian Oncology Nursing, 12(4), 267-273. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.4.267 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.4.267
- Kim, H. M. (2009). Special article : The necessity and direction of revising Article 14 of the mother and child health law. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 52(5), 487-498.
- Kim, K. Y. (2009). A study on factors associated with perceptions of marriage among unmarried university student. Unpublished master's thesis, Honam University, Gwangju.
- Kim, Y. H. (2011). Consideration on abolition of abortion. Hanyang Law Review, 33(1), 187-216.
- Anderson, G., Jun, M. H., & Choi, K. S. (2011). Communication patterns in Korean families during BRCA genetic testing for breast cancer. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing, 11(3), 200-209. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.3.200 https://doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.3.200
Supported by : 한국연구재단