- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Probability of Stroke, Knowledge of Stroke, and Health-Promoting Lifestyle in Stroke Risk Groups
뇌졸중 발생위험군의 뇌졸중 발생위험도, 뇌졸중 지식과 건강증진행위
- Received : 2014.03.07
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.05.31
Purpose: This study was done to investigate the probability of stroke, knowledge of stroke, and health-promoting lifestyle among stroke risk groups. Method: A descriptive correlational design was used. Data for 110 patients were analyzed. The probability of stroke was calculated using the Stroke Risk Profile from the Framingham Heart Study (2013), knowledge of stroke was measured using a questionnaire developed by Yoon et al. (2001), and health-promoting lifestyle was measured using the HPLP-II, developed by Walker et al. (1995). Results: The average probability of stroke was 11.74, knowledge of stroke, 67.88, and health-promoting lifestyle, 2.27. Probability of stroke showed significant differences according to gender. Knowledge differed according to patients' salaries. Health-promoting lifestyle showed significant differences according to gender. There were no significant correlations between probability of stroke and knowledge of stroke or probability of stroke and health-promoting lifestyle, but there was a significant correlation between knowledge of stroke and health-promoting lifestyle. Conclusion: Results indicate the necessity of active education to increase knowledge related to stroke which will contribute to an increase in health-promoting behaviors and make primary prevention a reality in the reduction of risk of stroke among stroke risk groups.
Cerebrovascular accident;Probability;Knowledge;Health behavior
- Song, H. Y., Hur, H. K, & Park, S. M. (2012). Lifestyle risk factors and awareness of stroke among adults in urban areas. Korean Journal of Health Promoting, 12, 44-57.
- Statistics Korea. (2012). Cause of death statistics 2011. Retrieved February 5, 2013, from http://www.kostat.go.kr
- Sug Yoon, S., Heller, R. F., Levi, C., Wiggers, J., & Fitzgerald, P. E. (2001). Knowledge of stroke risk factors, warning symptoms, and treatment among an Australian urban population. Stroke, 32, 1926-1930. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.32.8.1926
- Thom, T., Haase, N., Rosamond, W., Howard, V. J., Rumsfeld, J., Manolio, T., et al. (2006). Heart disease and stroke statistics-2006 update a report from the American Heart Association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee. Circulation, 113(6), e85-e151. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.171600
- Walker, S. N., Sechrist, K. R., & Pender, N. J. (1995). The Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile II. College of Nursing University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha.
- Yoon, S. N., & Kim, J. H. (1999). Health-promoting behaviors of the women workers at the manufacturing industry -based on the Pender's Health Promotion Model-. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 8, 130-140.
- Rosenberg, C. H., & Popelka, G. M. (2000). Post-stroke rehabilitation. A review of the guidelines for patient management. Geriatrics, 55(9), 75-81.
- Song, H. Y. (2008). Stroke risk and knowledge in women with prehypertension. Korean Society of Biological Nursing Science, 10, 121-130.
- Lee, S. C., Kim, W., & Lim, K. S. (2005). Factors associated with early presentation and rapid imaging evaluation of acute stroke. Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, 16, 363-370.
- Lee, H. R. (2010). Health knowledge of stroke, health promoting behavior and health risk indicators of stroke patients in a university hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, Incheon.
- Lee, M. K. (2010). A study on health promoting behavior and neurologic symptom coping behavior of risk group for stroke. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju.
- Lee, M. S. (2004). Relating factors and health promoting behaviors of stroke patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic university, Pusan.
- McDowell, I. (2006). Measuring health: A guide to rating scales and questionnaires (3rded). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2008). Major chronic disease management program guidelines. Retrieved February 25, 2013, from http://www.mw.go.kr
- Park, B. S., Lee, J. M., Koh, S. B., Kim, B. J., Park, M. K., & Park, K. W., et al. (2002). Ansan citizen's knowledge of stroke. Journal of the Korean Neurological Association, 20, 339-345.
- Korean Stroke Society. (2011). Stroke story (definition, cause). Retrieved February 11, 2013, from http://www.stroke.or.kr/
- Lee, E. J. (2011). A study on the knowledge of stroke and health promoting behaviors of Transient Ischemic Attack(TIA) patients. Unpublished master's thesis, The Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- Park, H. S. (2012). Stroke-related knowledge, self-efficacy and the relationship between Medication Adherence (-In Patients with Stroke-). Unpublished master's thesis, The Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Goldstein, L. B., Adams, R., Becker, K., Furberg, C. D., Gorelick, P. B., Hademenos, G., et al. (2001). Primary prevention of ischemic stroke: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Stoke Council of the American Heart Association. Circulation, 103(1), 163-182. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.103.1.163
- Choi, Y. H., Yang, J. H., Choi, H. J., Lee, K. H., Cho, B., & Huh, B. Y. (2001). Assessment of risk factors of coronary heart disease in a university hospital using the Framingham risk score. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 22(3), 324-335.
- Framingham Heart Study. (2013). Stroke risk score profile. Retrieved February 6, 2013, from http://www.framinghamheartstudy.org/risk/stroke.html
- Gigawiz. (2013). Internal consistency reliability. Retrieved May 20, 2013, from http://www.gigawiz.com/reliability.html
- Greenlund, K. J., Croft, J. B., & Mensah, G. A. (2004). Prevalence of heart disease and stroke risk factors in persons with prehypertension in the United States, 1999-2000. Archives of Internal Medicine, 164, 2113-2118. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.19.2113
- Hardie, K., Hankey, G. J., Jamrozik, K., Broadhurst, R. J., & Anderson, C. (2004). Ten-year risk of first recurrent stroke and disability after first-ever stroke in the Perth Community stroke study. Stroke, 35, 731-735. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000116183.50167.D9
- Korean Neurological Association. (2007). Stroke risk Factors. Retrieved February 5, 2013, from http://www.neuro.or.kr
- Choi, C. U., & Park, C. G. (2009). Estimating the probability of stroke in Korean hypertensive patients visiting tertiary hospitals using a risk profile from the Framingham study. BioMed Central Neurology, 9(16), 1-8.
- Choi, C. U., & Park, C. G. (2010). Comparing the probability of stroke by the Framingham risk score in hypertensive Korean patients visiting private clinics and tertiary hospitals. BioMed Central Neurology, 10(78), 1-7.
- American Stroke Association. (2009). Stroke warning signs. Retrieved April 8, 2013, from http://www.strokeassociation.org
- Bae, S. S. (2007). A research of workers' knowledge and educational needs on stroke. Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon Medical and Science School, Inchon.
- Chang, M. K. (2004). Knowledge and education needs of stroke in the elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- A study on the effect of self bedside exercise program on resilience and activities of daily living for patients with hemiplegia vol.11, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.140159
- Factors related to Fear of Recurrence in Stroke Patients* vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.2.190
- Knowledge on Cardio-cerebrovascular Disease and Health Behaviors among Middle-aged Postmenopausal Women at Risk vol.28, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.424
- The Effects of Primary Stroke Prevention Program on the Knowledge of Stroke, Stroke Symptom Coping Behavior and Self Management of Stroke Risk Group vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7925
- The Relationships between Self-care Knowledge and Compliance of Ischemic Stroke Patients with Diabetics vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7513
- The Effects of the Stroke on the Health Knowledge, Optimistic Bias and Health-Promoting Lifestyle in Middle-Aged Adults vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.141
- Self-Care Performance of Middle-Aged Stroke Patients in Korea vol.28, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773817740670