- Volume 14 Issue 5
The purpose of this study is to investigate the efficacy of interaction using Wiki in communication-oriented classes taught by native teachers on the incidental improvement of productive vocabulary knowledge. Eighty two university freshmen participated in the study and they were divided into two groups. Thirty eight students(Process Group) received process feedback from the teacher while forty four students(Result Group) received result feedback. They were given a short movie project working in a group of four or five people to practice interaction between peers and between students and the teacher. Data were collected from one receptive and three productive vocabulary knowledge test scores. The results showed that interaction using Wiki was conducive to the growth of productive vocabulary knowledge incidentally due to continuous opportunities to use vocabulary. The students of process feedback group made greater gains of productive vocabulary than those of result feedback group. Based on these results, pedagogical implications are discussed.
Communication-oriented Class;Interaction;Incidental Acquisition;Productive Vocabulary Knowledge
- D. Qian, "Assessing the Roles of Depth and Breadth of Vocabulary Knowledge in Reading Comprehension," The Canadian Modern Language Review, Vol.56, No.2, pp.282-307, 1999. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.56.2.282
- N. Schmitt, Vocabulary in Language Teaching, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- S. Webb, "Receptive and Productive Vocabulary Sizes of L2 Learners," SSLA, Vol.30, pp.79-95, 2008.
- S. Webb and M. Rodgers, "Vocabulary Demands of Television Programs," Language Learning, Vol.59, No.2, pp.335-366, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9922.2009.00509.x
- R. Waring and M. Takaki. "At What Rate Do Learners Learn and Retain New Vocabulary from Reading a Graded Reader?," Reading in a Foreign Language, Vol.15, No.2, pp.130-163, 2003.
- H. Wode, "Incidental Vocabulary Acquisition in the Foreign Language Classroom," SSLA, Vol.21, pp.243-258, 1999.
- M. Wodinsky and P. Nation, "Learning from Graded Readers," Reading in a Foreign Language, Vol.5, No.1 pp.155-161, 1988.
- M. Horst, T. Cobb, and P. Meara, "Beyond a Clockwork Orange: Acquiring Second Language Vocabulary through Reading," Reading in a Foreign Language, Vol.11, pp.207-223, 1998.
- R. Brown, R. Waring, and S. Donkaewbua, "Incidental Vocabulary Acquisition from Reading, Reading-While-Listening, and Listening to Stories," Reading in a Foreign Language, Vol.20, No.2, pp.136-163, 2008.
- R. Ellis, Y. Tanaka, and A. Yamazaki, "Classroom Interaction, Comprehension, and the Acquisition of L2 Word Meanings," Language Learning, Vol.44, No.3, pp.449-491, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1994.tb01114.x
- M. Fan, "How Big is the Gapand How to Narrow It? An Investigation into the Active and Passive Vocabulary Knowledge of L2 Learners," RELC Journal, Vol.31, No.2, pp.105-119, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/003368820003100205
- T. Huckin and J. Coady,"Incidental Vocabulary Acquisition in a Second Language," SSLA, Vol.21, pp.181-193, 1999.
- Y. Kim, "The Contribution of Collaborative and Individual Tasks to the Acquisition of L2 Vocabulary," The Modern Language Journal, Vol.92, pp.114-130, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2008.00690.x
- B. Laufer and P. Nation, "A Vocabulary-size Test of Controlled Productive Ability," Language Testing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.33-51, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/026553229901600103
- M. Long, "The Role of the Linguistic Environment in Second Language Acquisition," In W. Ritchie and T. Bathia(Eds.), Handbook of Research on Second Language, pp.413-468, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1996.
- W. Nagy, R. Anderson, and P. Herman, "Learning Word Meanings from Contextduring Normal Reading," American Educational Research Journal, Vol.24, No.2, pp.237-270, 1987. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312024002237
- H. Nassaji and J. Tian, "Collaborative and Individual Output Tasks and Their Effects on Learning English Phrasal Verbs," Language Teaching Research, Vol.14, No.4, pp.397-419, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362168810375364
- P. Nation, "Testing and Teaching Vocabulary," Guidelines, Vol.5, pp.12-25, 1983.
- P. Nation, Learning Vocabulary in Another Language, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- B. Park, "Does the PVLT Provide an Accurate Measure of Productive Vocabulary Knowledge?," English Teaching, Vol.67, No.2, pp.159-182, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15858/engtea.67.2.201207.159
- 김양희, 주미진,"다양한 종류의 피드백이 영어작문향상에 미치는 효과: 교사.동료 피드백의 비교 연구", 영어어문교육, 제16권, 제4호, pp.133-152, 2010.
- 김연순, 정현미,"위키(Wiki)활용이 협력학습과정과 협력학습결과에 미치는 영향", 교육과학연구, 제41권, 제3호, pp.93-118, 2010.
- 김주균, "영어 어휘력 향상을 위한 CALL(Computer-Assisted Language Learning)도구의 효과 분석", Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, 제14권, 제3호, pp.155-173, 2011.
- 박성재, "협력학습에 대한 학생들의 인식과 효과적인 협력 학습을 위한 위키의 활용", 한국문헌정보학회지, 제47권, 제1호, pp.399-417, 2013.
- 신상근, "강의 교재 읽기를 통한 우연적 어휘 학습에 관한 연구", Foreign Language Education, 제13권, 제3호, pp.321-337, 2006.
- H. D. Brown, Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy 3rd ed., Pearson Education, 2007.