- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Argumentativeness, Verbal Aggressiveness and Communication Anxiety on Conflict Management Style
논쟁성향, 언어적 공격성, 커뮤니케이션 불안감이 갈등관리 방식에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.03.27
- Accepted : 2014.05.09
- Published : 2014.05.28
This article examine the way in which communication-related variables such as argumentativeness, verbal aggressiveness, and communication anxiety have an effect on conflict management. Four hundred and four college students participated in this survey. The findings are as follows. First argumentativeness had positive effects on integrating, dominating, and compromising style, while negatively on obliging and avoiding style. Second verbal aggressiveness resulted in more of dominating style and less of avoidance. Third communication anxiety had positive effects on avoidance and obliging style and had negative effects on integrating and dominating style. These findings are coupled with further discussion and implication.
Argumentativeness;Verbal Aggressiveness;Communication Anxiety;Conflict Management
- J. M. Gottman, Marital interaction: Experimental Investigations. NY: Academic Press, 1979.
- M. A. Rahim and N. R. Magner, "Confirmatory factor analysis of the styles of handling interpersonal conflict: First-order factor model and its invariance across groups," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.80, pp.112-132, 1995.
- D. A. Infante, S. A. Myers, and R. A. Buerkel, "Argument and verbal aggression in constructive and destructive family and organizational disagreements," Western Journal of Communication, Vol.58, pp.73-84, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/10570319409374488
- M. M. Martin and C. M. Anderson, "Argumentativeness and verbal aggressiveness" Journal of Social Behavior & Personality, Vol.11, pp.547-554, 1996.
- M. M. Martin and C. M. Anderson, "Argumentativeness and verbal aggressiveness," Journal of Social Behavior & Personality, Vol.11, pp.547-554, 1996.
- D. A. Infante, J. D. Trebing, P. E. Shepherd, and D. E. Seeds, "The relationship of argumentativeness to verbal aggression," The Southern Speech Communication Journal, Vol.50, pp.67-77, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1080/10417948409372622
- McCroskey, An Introduction to Rhetorical Communication(6th ed.), Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- R. B. Rubin, A. M. Rubin, and F. F. Jordan, "Effects of instruction on communication apprehension and communication competence," Communication Education, Vol.46, pp.104-114, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/03634529709379080
- B. H. Spitzberg and H. T. Hurt, "The measurement of interpersonal skills in instructional contexts," Communication Education, Vol.36, pp.28-45, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1080/03634528709378639
- R. B. Rubin, "The validity of the communication competency assessment instrument," Communication Monograph, Vol.52, pp.173-185, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637758509376103
- B. H. Spitzberg and W. R. Cupach, Handbook of Interpersonal Competence Research. NY: Springer-Verlag, 1989.
- R. B. Rubin, E. M. Perse, and C. A. Barbato, "Conceptualization and measurement of interpersonal communication motives," Human Communication Research, Vol.14, pp.602-682, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1988.tb00169.x
- L. C. Lederman, "High communication apprehensive talk about communication apprehension and its effects on their behavior," Communication Quarterly, Vol.31, pp.233-237, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463378309369509
- K. K. Dwyer and D. A. Fus, "Perceptions of communication competence, self-efficacy, and trait communication apprehension," Communication Research Reports, Vol.19, pp.29-37, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824090209384829
- K. L. Alexander, Prosocial behavior of adolescence in work and family life: Empathy andc onflict resolution strategies with parents and peers. Doctoral dissertation. Ohio State University, 2000.
- M. A. Rahim," A measure of styles of handling interpersonal conflict," Academy of management Journal, Vol.26, pp.368-376, 1986.
- L. Putnam and C. E. Wilson, "Communication strategies in organization conflict: Reliability and validity of a measurement scale," In M. Burgoon (Ed.), Communication Yearbook 6. Beberly Hills, CA: Sage, 1982.
- A. L. Sillars, "The sequential and distributional structure of conflictinteractions as a function of attribution concerning the locus of responsibility and stability of conflicts," In D. Nimmo(Ed.), Communication Yearbook 4. New Brunswick, New Jersy: Transaction, 1980.
- 장해순, 강태완,"스피치교육이 커뮤니케이션 능력과 불안감에 미치는 영향", 한국언론학보, 제49권, 제1호, pp.163-192, 2005.
- M. E. Roloff, "Communication strategies, relationships, and relationalchange," In G. Miller (Ed. ), Explorations in interpersonal communication, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1976.
- 최혜진. 갈등관리 구조와 전략, 서울: 두남, 2004.
- D. A. Infante,"Trait argumentativeness as a predictor of communicative behavior in situations requiring argument," Central States Speech Journal, Vol.32, pp.265-272, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1080/10510978109368105
- E. O. Onyekwere, R. B. Rubin, and D. A. Infante, "Interpersonal perception and communication satisfaction as a function of argumentativeness and ego-involvement," Communication Quarterly, Vol.39, pp.35-47, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463379109369781
- B. Schultz, "Argumentativeness: Its effect in group decision-making and its role in leadership perception," Communication Quarterly, Vol.30, pp.368-375, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1080/01463378209369473
- Levine and Badger, "Argumentativeness and resistance to persuasion," Communication Reports, Vol.6, pp.71-78, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/08934219309367567
- D. A. Infante and C. J. Wigley, "Verbal aggressiveness: An interpersonal model and measure," Communication Monographs, Vol.53, pp.61-69, 1983.
- D. A. Infante," Aggressiveness," In J. C. McCroskey & J. A. Daly(Eds.), Personality and interpersonal communication (pp.157-192). Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1987.
- 박영만, 김은정, 정주섭, 강호정,"민간경호경비조직의 갈등관리방식과 조직성과의 관계,"한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제9호, pp.375-386, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.9.375
- 곽소영, 손은정,"이성 관계에서의 심리적 욕구충족에 따른 관계만족도: 자율성 정도와 갈등해결전략의 매개검증,"한국심리학회 연차학술대회논문집, pp.424-425, 2007.
- 박영화, 고재홍,"부부의 자존감, 의사소통 방식 및 갈등대처행동과 결혼만족도간의 관계: 자기효과와 상대방 효과,"한국심리학회지: 사회 및 성격, 제19권, pp.65-83, 2005.
- 홍순복,"세무조사팀관리자의 갈등관리방식이 공정성지각과 직무만족에 미치는 영향,"한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제7호, pp.181-189, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.07.181
- W. R. Cupach and D. J. Canary, Competence in Interpersonal Conflict, New York: McGraw-hill, 1997.
- D. J. Canary, W. R. Cupach, and R. Serpe,"A competence-based approach to examine interpersonal conflict: Test of a longitudinal model," Communication research, Vol.28, pp.79-104, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365001028001003
- 장해순, 한주리, 강태완,"말하기, 듣기 스타일과 갈등관리유형 간의 관계", 한국방송학보, 제21권, 제1호, pp.276-310, 2007.
- D. A. Infante and A. S. Rancer, "A conceptualization and measure of argumentativeness," Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol.46, pp.72-80, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4601_13
- A. Ellis, How to controlanxiety before it controls you, New York ;Partridge Green: Citadel Biblios, 2001.
- 장해순, 한주리, 허경호,"갈등관리스타일에 영향을 미치는 퍼스낼리티 요인: 성격 5요인, 자아존중감, 자기감시를 중심으로", 한국언론정보학보, 제37권, pp.418-451, 2007.
- W. W. Wilmot and J. L. Hocker, Interpersonal Conflict. New York: McGraw-hill, 2007.