- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Histogram Equalization Based Color Space Quantization for the Enhancement of Mean-Shift Tracking Algorithm
실시간 평균 이동 추적 알고리즘의 성능 개선을 위한 히스토그램 평활화 기반 색-공간 양자화 기법
- Choi, Jangwon (Dept. Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Choe, Yoonsik (Dept. Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Goo (Dept. Newmedia, Korean German Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2013.12.02
- Accepted : 2014.05.21
- Published : 2014.05.30
Kernel-based mean-shift object tracking has gained more interests nowadays, with the aid of its feasibility of reliable real-time implementation of object tracking. This algorithm calculates the best mean-shift vector based on the color histogram similarity between target model and target candidate models, where the color histograms are usually produced after uniform color-space quantization for the implementation of real-time tracker. However, when the image of target model has a reduced contrast, such uniform quantization produces the histogram model having large values only for a few histogram bins, resulting in a reduced accuracy of similarity comparison. To solve this problem, a non-uniform quantization algorithm has been proposed, but it is hard to apply to real-time tracking applications due to its high complexity. Therefore, this paper proposes a fast non-uniform color-space quantization method using the histogram equalization, providing an adjusted histogram distribution such that the bins of target model histogram have as many meaningful values as possible. Using the proposed method, the number of bins involved in similarity comparison has been increased, resulting in an enhanced accuracy of the proposed mean-shift tracker. Simulations with various test videos demonstrate the proposed algorithm provides similar or better tracking results to the previous non-uniform quantization scheme with significantly reduced computation complexity.
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원
- A. Yilmaz, O. Javed, and M. Shah, "Object tracking: a survey", ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 38, no. 4, Article 13, Dec 2006.
- D. Comaniciu, V. Ramesh, and P. Meer, "Kernel-based object tracking", IEEE Trans. PAMI, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp.564-577, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2003.1195991
- S. T. Birchfield and S. Rangarajan, "Spatiograms versus histograms for region-based tracking," in Proc. CVPR 2005, 20-25 June, San Diego, pp.1158-1163.
- H. Zhou, Y. Yuan, and C. Shi, "Object tracking using SIFT features and mean shift," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol.113, no.3, pp.345-352, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2008.08.006
- R. T. Collins, "Mean-shift blob tracking through scale space," in Proc. CVPR 2003, 18-20 June, Pittsburg, pp.II-234-II-240.
- A. Yilmaz, "Object tracking by assymmetric kernel mean shift with automatic scale and orientation selection," in Proc. CVPR 2007, 17-22 June, Minneapolis, pp.1-6.
- Q. Zhao, Z. Yang, and H. Tao, "Differential earth movers distance with its applications to visual tracking," IEEE Trans. PAMI, vol.32, no.2, pp.274-287, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.299
- I. Leichter, "Mean shift trackers with cross-bin metrics," IEEE Trans. PAMI, vol.34, no.4, pp.695-706, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2011.167
- J. Jeyakar, R. V. Babu, K. R. Ramakrishnan, "Robust object tracking with backgroundweighted local kernels," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol.112, no.3, pp.296-309, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2008.05.005
- J. J. Ning, L. Zhang, D. Zhang, and C. Wu, "Robust mean-shift track ing with corrected background-weighted histogram," IET Comput. Vis.,vol.6, no.1, pp.62-69, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cvi.2009.0075
- A. K. Jai, "Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing", Prentice Hall, 1989.
- P. Li, "An Adaptive Binning Color Model for Mean Shift Tracking", IEEE Trans. CSVT, Vol. 18, No.9, pp.1293-1299, Sep 2008.
- E. Choi, S. Lee, and M. G. Kang, "Object Tracking Algorithm Using Weighted Color Centroids Shifting," Journal of broadcast engineering, Vol.15, No.2, pp.236-247, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5909/JBE.2010.15.2.236