- Volume 41 Issue 2
One or two mesiodens are mostly common to the clinician. However, three mesiodens is rarely found and can cause complications such as orthodontic problems or interruptions of the adjacent teeth with more than 1 or 2 mesiodens. Many factors cause irregularities in the permanent dentition. Mesiodens, especially in the anterior maxilla, can disturb the eruption of adjacent permanent teeth and cause diastemas, ectopic eruptions, root resorption, or the formation of dentigerous cysts. The early diagnosis of mesiodens is important for preventing such complications, and the timing of intervention should be based on their location and number. Periodic checkups and improved diagnostic devices make it easy to find mesiodens and associated complications. In this case, 3 supernumerary teeth in the maxillary anterior region were affecting the eruption of the adjacent permanent incisors. To minimize complications and preserve the deciduous teeth, the three supernumerary teeth were extracted in 2 steps. Since cone-beam computed tomography was not available, a brace wire was used to measure the depth of the mesiodens.
Supernumerary teeth;Depth check;Complication;Extraction
- J Lustmann, L Bodner : Dentigerous cysts associated with supernumerary teeth. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 17:100-102, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(88)80159-0
- Yildirim G, Bayrak S : Early diagnosis of bilateral supplemental primary and permanent maxillary lateral incisors: a case report. Eur J Dent, 5:215-219. 2011.
- Kim JB, Kim JS, Park JE : The incidence of mesiodens. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent, 34:646-650, 2007.
- Alberti G, Mondani PM, Parodi V : Eruption of supernumerary permanent teeth in a sample of urban primary school population in Genoa, Italy. Eur J Paediatr Dent, 7:89-92, 2006.
- Kazanci F, Celikoglu M, Ceylan I, et al. : The Frequency and Characteristics of Mesiodens in a Turkish Patient Population. Eur J Dent, 5:361-365, 2011.
- Kim SD, Lee SH, Lee NY, et al. : Three- Dimensional Evaluation of Impacted Mesiodens Using Dental Cone-Beam Computed Tomography in Korean Children and Adolescent. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent, 40:149-156, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2013.40.3.149
- Yusof WZ : Non-syndrome multiple supernumerary teeth: literature review. J Can Dent Assoc, 56:147-149, 1990.
- Hong EH, Kim SO, Lee JH, et al. : Surgical Extraction of Multiple Supernumerary Teeth by Two-Stage Procedure. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 35:333-336, 2008.
- Ferguson JW, Evans RI, Cheng LH : Diagnostic accuracy and observer performance in the diagnosis of abnormalities in the anterior maxilla: a comparison of panoramic with intraoral radiography. Br Dent J, 173:265-271, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4808024
- Choi HM, Han JW, Park HW, et al. : Quantitative localization of impacted mesiodens using panoramic and periapical radiographs. Imaging Sci Dent, 41:63-69, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5624/isd.2011.41.2.63
- Schmuth GP, Freisfeld M, Koster O, Schuller H : The application of computerized tomography (CT) in cases of impacted maxillary canines. Eur J Orthod, 14:296-301, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/14.4.296
- Tyrologou S, Koch G, Kurol J : Location, complications and treatment of mesiodentes-a retrospective study in children. Swed Dent J, 29:1-9, 2005.
- Giancotti A, Grazzini F, Arcuri C, et al. : Multidisciplinary evaluation and clinical management of mesiodens. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 26:233-237, 2002.
- Zhu JF, Marcushamer M, King DL, et al. : Supernumerary and congenitally absent teeth: a literature review. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 20:87-95, 1996.
- Choi BJ, Jang SC, Kim SO, et al. : Complications of supernumerary teeth on the maxillary anterior region. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent, 30:515-518, 2003.
- Gunduz K, Muglali M : Non-syndrome multiple supernumerary teeth: A case report. J Contemp Dent Pract, 8:81-87, 2007.
- Atwan SM, Turner D, Khalid A : Early intervention to remove mesiodens and avoid orthodontic therapy. Gen Dent, 48:166-169, 2000.
- Alaçam A, Bani M : Mesiodens as a risk factor in treatment of trauma cases. Dent Traumatol, 25:25-31, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2008.00734.x
- Characterization of Differentiation of the Supernumerary Dental Pulp Stem Cells toward the Odontoblast by Application Period of Additives vol.42, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2015.42.4.312