- Volume 56 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Water Footprint for Upland Crop Production in Korea
한국의 밭작물 생산에서의 물발자국 산정
- Yoo, Seung-Hwan (Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hyun ;
- Choi, Jin-Yong
- Received : 2014.03.19
- Accepted : 2014.05.26
- Published : 2014.05.31
Water footprint is defined as the total volume of direct and indirect water used to produce a good and service by consumer or producer, and measured at the point of production based on virtual water concept. The green and blue water footprint refers to the volume of the rainwater and the irrigation water consumed, respectively. Crop water footprint is expected to be used as the basic data for agricultural water resources policies at production, consumption and trade aspect. Thus, it is necessary to estimate suitable green and blue water footprint for South Korea. The objective of this paper is to quantify the green and blue water footprint and usage of upland crops during the period 2001-2010. To estimate the water footprint, 43 upland crop production quantity and harvested area data were collected for 10 years and FAO Penman-Monteith equation was adopted for calculating crop water requirement. As the results, the water footprint of cereals, vegetables, fruits and oil crops accounted for 1,994, 165, 605, and 4,226
- Allan, J. A., 2003. Virtual Water - the water, food and trade nexus, useful concept or misleading metaphor?. Water International 28(1): 4-11.
- Allen, R. G., Pereira, L. S., Raes, D., and Smith, M. (1998). Crop evapotranspiration - Guidelines for computing crop water requirements - FAO Irrigation and drainage paper No. 56. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Berrittella, M., A. Y. Hoekstra, K. Rehdanz, R. Roson, and R.S.J. Tol, 2007. The economic impact of restricted water supply: a computable general equilibrium analysis. Water Res. 42: 1799-1813.
- Chapagain, A. K. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2003. Virtual water flows between nations in relation to trade in livestock and livestock products, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 13, UNESCO-IHE.
- Chapagain, A. K. and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2004. Water footprints of nations, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 16, UNESCO-IHE.
- Hoekstra, A. Y. and P. Q. Hung, 2002. Virtual water trade: A quantification of virtual water flows between nations in relation to international crop trade, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 11, UNESCO-IHE.
- Hoekstra, A. Y., A. K. Chapagain, and M. M. Aldaya, 2011. The water footprint assessemnt manual, Earthscan, London, UK.
- Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI), 2012. A study on the introduction and utilization of virtual water to agriculture (in Korean).
- Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI), 2012. Food balance sheet (in Korean).
- Lee, S. H. 2013. Potential vulnerabilities of crops virtual water trade using crops wter requirement and network analysis. Seoul National University, Ph.D Thesis (in Korean).
- Mao, X., and Z. Yang, 2012. Ecological network analysis for virtual water trade system: A case study for the Baiyangdian Basin in Northern China. Ecological Informatics 10: 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2011.05.006
- Mekonnen, M. M., and A. Y. Hoekstra, 2011. The green, blue and grey water footprint of crops and derived crop products, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 15: 1577-1600. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-15-1577-2011
- Oki, T., M. Sato, A. Kawamura, M. Miyake, S. Kanae, and K. Musiake, 2003. Virtual water trade to Japan and in the world. In: Hoekstra, A.Y. (Ed.), Virtual water trade, Value of Water Research Report Series No. 12, UNESCOIHE.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2013. Crop Management Manual, Available at: http://www.rda.go.kr/board/board.do?mode=html&prgId=arg_itmmenu Query. Accessed 4 Feb. 2013.
- Siebert, S. and P. Doll, 2010. Quantifying blue and green virtual water contents in global crop production as well as potential production losses without irrigation, Journal of Hydrology 384: 198-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.07.031
- Stanley T. Mubako, S. T., and Lant, C. L., 2013. Agricultural Virtual Water Trade and Water Footprint of U.S. States, Annals of the Association of American Geographers 103(2): 385-396. https://doi.org/10.1080/00045608.2013.756267
- Statistics Korea, 2011. Crop product statistic (in Korean)
- Yoo, S. H., J. Y. Choi, S. H. Lee, and T. G. Kim, 2014. Estimating water footprint of paddy rice in Korea. Paddy and Water Environment 12(1): 43-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-013-0358-2
- Yoo, S. H., J. Y. Choi, T. Kim, J. B. Im, and C. Chun, 2009. Estimation of Crop Virtual Water in Korea, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 42(11): 911-920 (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.11.911
- Zeitoun, M., J.A. Allan, and Y. Mohieldeen, 2010. Virtual water 'flows' of the Nile Basin, 1998-2004: a first approximation and implications for water security. Global Environ. Change 2(20): 229-242.
- Estimation of Water Footprint for Livestock Products in Korea vol.57, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.2.085
- Design and Implementation of Reference Evapotranspiration Database for Future Climate Scenarios vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2016.22.4.071
- Estimation of the Virtual Water Consumption for Food Consumption and Calorie Supply vol.57, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.3.077
- Analyzing the Contribution of Regional Water Resource through the Regional Blue Water Flows of Rice Products vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2016.58.1.073