- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Occurrence Characteristics of Tropical Night Day and Extreme Heat Day in the Metropolitan City, Korea
한반도 대도시의 폭염 및 열대야 발생 특성에 대한 연구
- Kim, Eun-Byul (Atmospheric Environment Information Research Center, Inje University) ;
- Park, Jong-Kil (Department of Environmental Engineering, Atmospheric Environment Information Research Center, Inje University) ;
- Jung, Woo-Sik (Department of Atmospheric Environmental Information Engineering, Atmospheric Environment Information Research Center, Inje University)
- Received : 2014.02.03
- Accepted : 2014.03.28
- Published : 2014.05.30
To identify the characteristics of extreme heat events and tropical nights in major cities, the correlations between automated synoptic observing station (ASOS), automatic weather station (AWS), and temperature in seven metropolitan areas were analyzed. Temperatures at ASOS were found to be useful sources of the reference temperature of each area. To set the standard for identifying dates of extreme heat events in relation to regional topography and the natural environment, the monthly and yearly frequency of extreme heat in each region was examined, based on the standards for extreme heat day (EHD), tropical night day (TND), and extreme heat and tropical night day (ETD). All three cases identified 1994 as the year with the most frequent heat waves. The frequency was low according to all three cases in 1993, 2003 and 2009. Meanwhile, the yearly rate of increase was the highest in 1994, followed by 2010 and 2004, indicating that the frequency of extreme heat changed significantly between 1993 and 1994, 2003 and 2004, and 2009 and 2010. Therefore all three indexes can be used as a standard for high temperature events. According to monthly frequency data for EHD, TND, and ETD, July and August accounted for 80% or more of the extreme heat of the entire year.
Extreme heat;Extreme heat day;Tropical night day;High temperature;Metropolitan area
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., Kim, E. B., 2008, A Study on the Influence of Extreme Heat on Daily Mortality, J. of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 24(5), 423-537 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2008.24.4.423
- Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., Kim, E. B., 2009, Study on the Establishment of Threshold Criteria for Heat Health Watch Warning System in Korea; PartI: Establishment of Criteria and Verification. Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 18(7), 767-780 (In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.7.767
- Park, J. K., Lu R. Y. Li, C. F. Li, Kim, E. B., 2012, Interannual Variation of Tropical Night frequency in Beijing and Associated Large-Scale Circulation Background, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, 29(2), 295-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00376-011-1141-1
- National Institute of Meteorological Research(NIMR), 2007, Study on the extreme heat health watch warning system(II). Inje University (Korean).
- NIMR, 2009, Understanding of Climate change II. National Institute of Meteorological Research, Korea Meteorological Adminstration (Korean).
- Park, J. K., Cho, D. H., Yoon, S. H., Lee, J. T., Seok, K. H., Jung, W. S., Kim, E. B., Jeon, D. G., 2006, Development of Weather-Related Health Impact Index for the Cutaneousdisorder. Proceedings of the 15th IUAPPA Regional Conference, Lille, France. Paper No. 021609.
- Jung, W. S., Park, J. K., Kim, E. B., Song, J. H., 2008, Study on the Establishment of Threshold Criteria for Heat Health Watch Warning System in Korea; Part II: Improvement of Criteria, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 18(7), 781-796.(In Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.7.781
- Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) (1991-2010) Annual climatological report (Korean).
- Larsen, R. L., 1973, An air quality data analysis system for interrelating effects, standards and needed source reductions, JAPCA, 23, 933.
- Meehl, G. A., Tebaldi, C., 2004, More intense, more frequent and longer lasting heat waves in the 21st century. Science, 305(5686), 994-997. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1098704
- Cho, K. J., Lim, I. S., Kim, J. H., 2000, The effect of overload excercise and sleep deprivation on the changes of performance, EEG, and stress hormone while sleeping. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 32(2), 434-444. (In Korean with English abstract).
- Cinar, Y., Senyol, A. M., Duman, K., 2001, Blood viscosity and blood pressure: role of temperature and hyperglycemia. American Journal of Hypertension, 14, 433-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-7061(00)01260-7
- IPCC, 2007, Climate Change 2007 : The Physical Science Basis, Summary for Policymakers, Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA., 1-21.
- The Occurrence Characteristic and Future Prospect of Extreme Heat and Tropical Night in Daegu and Jeju vol.24, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.11.1493
- Projection of future hot weather events and potential population exposure to this in South Korea vol.72, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3354/cr01446