- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Assessing the Action Plans in the Control Area(Soyang Reservoir) of Non-point Source Pollution
비점오염원 관리지역(소양호) 목표수질 달성도 평가
- Choi, Jaewan (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kang, Min-Ji (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Ryu, Jichul (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Dong-Il (National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Lim, Kyung-Jae (Department of Regional Infrastructure Engineering, Kangwon National University) ;
- Shin, Dong-Seok (National Institute of Environmental Research)
- 최재완 (국립환경과학원 수질총량연구과) ;
- 강민지 (국립환경과학원 수질총량연구과) ;
- 류지철 (국립환경과학원 수질총량연구과) ;
- 김동일 (국립환경과학원 수질총량연구과) ;
- 임경재 (강원대학교 지역건설공학과) ;
- 신동석 (국립환경과학원 수질총량연구과)
- Received : 2013.06.19
- Accepted : 2014.03.11
- Published : 2014.05.30
The Ministry of Environment (MOE) has made more effort in managing point source pollution rather than in nonpoint source pollution in order to improve water quality of the four major rivers. However, it would be difficult to meet water quality targets solely by managing the point source pollution. As a result of the comprehensive measures established in 2004 under the leadership of the Prime Minister's Office, a variety of policies such as the designation of control areas to manage nonpoint source pollution are now in place. Various action plans to manage nonpoint source pollution have been implemented in the Soyang-dam watershed as one of the control areas designed in 2007. However, there are no tools to comprehensively assess the effectiveness of the action plans. Therefore, this study would assess the action plans (especially, BMPs) designed to manage Soyang-dam watershed with the WinHSPF and the CE-QUAL-W2. To this end, we simulated the rainfall-runoff and the water quality (SS) of the watershed and the reservoir after conducting model calibration and the model validation. As the results of the calibration for the WinHSPF, the determination coefficient (
CE-QUAL-W2;HSPF;Nonpoint source pollutant;SS;Turbidity
- Ribarova, I., Ninov, P., Cooper, D., 2008, Modeling nutrient pollution during a first flood event using HSPF software: Iskar River case study, Bulgaria, Ecological Modeling 211(1-2), 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.09.022
- Sullivan, A. B., Rounds, S. A., Sobieszczyk, S., Bragg, H. M., 2007, Modeling hydrodynamics, water temperature, and suspended sediment in Detroit Lake, Oregon, U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5008, VA, USA.
- Donigian, Jr. A. S., Chinnaswamy, R. V., Jobes, T. H., 1997, Conceptual Design of Multipurpose Detention Facilities for Flood Protecrion and Nonpoint Source Pollution Control, AQUA TERRA Consultants, Califomia, 158.
- Hunter, H. M., Walton, R. S., 2008, Land-use effects on fluxes of suspended sediment, nitrogen and phosphorus from a river catchment of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia, J. of hydrology, 356(1-2), 131-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.04.003
- Luo, B., Li, J. B., Huang, G. H., Li, H, J., 2006, A simulation-based interval two-stage stochastic model for agricyltural nonpoint source pollution control through land retirement, Science of The Total Environment, 361(1-3), 38-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.09.053
- Nash J.E. Sutcliffe, J. V., 1970, River flow forecasting through conceptual models. PartI: Adiscussion of princples, J. of Hydrology, 10, 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(70)90255-6
- Donigian, Jr., A. S., 2000, HSPT Training Workshop Handbook and CD. Lecture #19, Calibration and Verification Issues, Presented and Prepared for U.S. EPA, Office of Water, Office of Science and Technology, Washington, D.C.
- Brun, S. E. Band, L. E., 2000, Simulating runoff behavior in an uranizing watershed, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 24(1), 5-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0198-9715(99)00040-X
- ASCE, 1993, ASCE task committee on definition of criteria for evaluation of watershed models, Criteria for Evaluation of Watershed Models. Irrigation Drainage Engineering, 119(3), 429-442. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9437(1993)119:3(429)
- Bergman, M. J., Green, W., Donnangelo, L. J., 2002, Calibration of storm loads in the South Prong watershed, Florida, using BASINS/HSPF, J. of American Water Resources Association, 38(5), 1423-1436. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2002.tb04356.x
- Bicnell, B. R., Imhoff, J. C., Kittle, J. L., Jr., Donigian, A. S. Jr., Johanson, R. C., 1997, Hydrological Simulation Program-Fortran, user's manual for version 11, USEPA Publication No.600-R-97-080, Environmental Research Laboratory, Athens, GA.
- Choi, W., Deal, B. M., 2008, Assessing hydrological impact of potential land use change through hydrological and land use change modeling for the Kiswaukee River basin (USA), J. of Environmental Management, 88(4), 1119-1130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2007.06.001
- Cho, J., Barone, V. A., Mostaghimi, S., 2009, Simulation of land use impacts on groundwater levels and streamflow in a virginia watershed, Agricultural Water Management, 96, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2008.07.005
- Cole, T. M. Tilman, D. H., 1999, Water Quality Modeling of Lake Monroe Using CE-QUAL-W2, U.S. Army Engineer Publication No.EL-99-1, Louisville District, Louisville, Kentucky.
- Chung, S. W., Gu, R., 1998, Two dimensional simulations of contaminant currents in stratified reservoir, J. Hydrology Engineering, 124(7), 704-711. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1998)124:7(704)
- Chung, S. W., 2004, Density Flow Regime of Turbidity Current into a Stratified Reservoir and Vertical Two-dimensional Modeling. Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 26(90), 970-978.
- Kim, Y. H., Kim, B. C., Choi, K. S., Seo, D. I., 2001, Modelling of Thermal Stratification and Transport of Density Flow in Soyang Reservoir Using the 2-D Hydrodynamic Water Quality Model(CE-QUAL-W2), Korean Sociaty of Water and Wastewater, 15(1), 40-49.
- Yoon, C. G., Shin, A. H., Jung, K. W., Jang, J. H., 2007, A Study on BASINS/WinHSPF for Evaluation of Non-point Source Reduction Efficiency in the Upstream of Nam-Han River Watershed, Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 23(6), 951-960.
- Jeon, J. H., Choi, D. H., Kim, J. J., Kim, T. D., 2009, Evaluating Calibration Methods of Stream Flow for Water Quality Management, Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 25(3), 432-440.
- Chung, S. W., 2007, Application of CE-QUAL-W2 to Daecheong Reservoir for Eutrophication Simulation, Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 23(1), 52-63.
- Han River Environment Research Center, 2011, Assessing monitoring in in the Control Area of Non-point Source Pollution(III).
- Albek, M., Qgutveren, U. B., Albek, E., 2004, Hydrological modeling of Seydi Suyu watershed(Turkey) with HSPF, J. of Hydrology, 285, 260-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2003.09.002
- Anthony, S. D., Wayne, C. H., Thomas, O. B., 1991, Modeling of nonpoint source water quality in urban and non-urban areas, EPA Publication No.600/3-91-039, Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, Athens, GA.
- Gangwondo, 2010, The Action Plans in the Control Area of Non-point Source Pollution(Soyang Lake).
- Gangwondo, 2011, The performing Report of the Action Plans in the Control Area of Non-point Source Pollution(Soyang Lake)
- Kim, B. C., Jung, S. M., 2007, Turbid Storm Runoffs in Lake Soyang and Their Environmental Effect, Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 26(11), 1185-1190.
- Assessment of Apprehensive Area of Non-Point Source Pollution Using Watershed Model Application in Juam Dam Watershed vol.37, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.10.551