- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Gunwi Dam Construction on Community Fluctuations of Benthic Macroinvertebrates
군위댐 건설 공사가 저서성대형무척추동물 군집 변동에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Hyeok-Yeong (Department of Biological Science, Andong National University) ;
- Lee, Mi-Jin (Department of Biological Science, Andong National University) ;
- Park, Jinyoung (National Institute of Ecology) ;
- Lee, Jong-Eun (Department of Biological Science, Andong National University)
- Received : 2013.09.25
- Accepted : 2014.02.26
- Published : 2014.05.30
Benthic macroinvertebrates were seasonally sampled from upstream and downstream of the Gunwi Dam construction site from 2006 to 2012. Totally 148 and 165 species were collected at the upstream and downstream sampling sites, respectively. At the upstream area after dam construction, there was no significant change of the numbers of non-insect taxa, but at the downstream area, the non-insect taxon numbers were increased gradually. The individual ratio of Ephemeroptera and Diptera had higher value than the other taxa in both of up and downstream. The trichopteran individual ratios were increased in upstream sites, but decreased in downstream sites from 2010. Also, non-insects and coleopteran individual ratios were decreased in upstream, but increased in downstream after completion of dam construction. The annual range of fluctuation in community indices narrowed after construction. According to a functional feeding group analysis, the individual ratios of FC (Filtering Collector) were increased, and GC (Gathering Collector) and SC (Scraper) were decreased in upstream sites annually. In contrast, the annual individual ratios of FC were decreased, and GC and SC were increased in the downstream sites.
Gunwi-dam;Benthic macroinvertebrate;Community fluctuation;FFG
- Tiemann, J. S., Gillette, D. P., Wildhaber, M. L., Edds, D. R., 2004, Effects of Lowhead dams on riffle-Dwelling Fishes and Macroinvertebrates in a Midwestern River, Transctions of the American Fisheries Society, 133, 705-717. https://doi.org/10.1577/T03-058.1
- Woodcock, T. S., Huryn, A. D., 2007, The response of macroinvertebrate production to a pollution gradient in a headwater stream, Freshwater Biology, 52, 177-196. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2006.01676.x
- Yoon, I. B., 1995, Explanatory diagrams of aquatic insects, Jeongheangsa press, Seoul.
- Zincone, L. H., Rulifson, R. A., 1991, Instream flow and striped bass recruitment in the lower Roanoke River, North Carolina, Rivers, 2(2), 125-137.
- Stevens, L. E., Schmidt, J. C., Ayers, T. J., Brown, B. T., 1995, Flow regulation, geomorphology and Colorado River marsh development in the Grand Canyon, Arizona, Ecological Applications, 6, 1025-1039.
- Stevens, L. E., Shannon, J. P., Blinn, D. W., 1997, Colorado river benthic ecology in Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA: Dam, tributary and geomorphological influences, Regulated rivers: Research & Management, 13, 129-149. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1646(199703)13:2<129::AID-RRR431>3.0.CO;2-S
- Ward, J. V., 1976, Effects of flow patterns below large dams on stream benthos: a review, In: Osborn, J. F., Allman, C. H. (Eds.), American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, 235-253.
- Ward, J. V., Stanford, J. A., 1979, Ecological factors controlling stream zoobenthos with emphasis on thermal modification of regulated stream (Eds.), The Ecology of Regulated Stream, Plenum Publishing, New York.
- Water Framework Directive (WFD), 2003, Overall approach to the classification of ecological status and ecological potential, Water Framework Directive Common Implementation Strategy Working Group 2, An Ecological Status (ECOSTAT).
- Wilhm, J. L., 1972, Graphic and mathematical analysis of biotic communities in polluted stream, Annual Review of Entomology, 17, 223-252. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.17.010172.001255
- Williams, D. D., Smith, M. R., 1996, Colonization dynamics of river benthos in response to local changes in bed characteristics, Freshwater Biology, 36, 237-248. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.1996.00084.x
- Won, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Jeon, Y. C., 2005, Aquatic insect of Korea, Korea ecosystem service press, Seoul.
- Ro, T. H., Chun, D. J., 2004, Functional feeding group categorization of Korean immature aquatic insects and community stability analysis, Korean Journal of Limnology, 37, 137-148.
- Newcombe, C. P., MacDonald, D. D., 1991, Effects of suspended sediments on aquatic ecosystems, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 11, 72-82. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(1991)011<0072:EOSSOA>2.3.CO;2
- Pielou, E. C., 1975, Ecological Diversity, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Ro, T. H., 2002, Resilience and resistance of biological community: Application for stream ecosystem health assessment, Journal of Environmental Policy, 1(1), 93-112.
- Rosenberg, D. M., Resh, B. H., 1993, Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates, Chapman & Gall, London.
- Samuel, F. M., Ernest, K., Gideon, A., Felix, B. B. C., Thomas, N., 2012, Impact of dam construction on the diversity of benthic macroinvertebrates community in a periurban stream in Cameroon, International Journal of Biosciences, 2(11), 137-145.
- Shannon, C., E., Weaver, W., 1949, The matechematical Theory of Communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana.
- Shin, H. S., Park, S. C., Kim, J. K., Kim, S. J., Park, J. H., Choi, J. S., Choi, J. K., 2006, Community analysis based on functional feeding groups of aquatic insects in Wonju Stream, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 20(2), 259-266.
- Song, J. X., Xu, Z. X., Liu, C. M., Li, H. E., 2007, Ecological and environmental instream flow requirements for the Wei River-the largest tributary of the Yellow River, Hydrological processes, 21, 1066-1073. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.6287
- Kil, H. K., 2007, Effects of dams on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in Korean stream, Department of biology Graduate school Seoul Women's University.
- Gregory, S. V., Swanson, F. J., McKee, W. A., Cummins, K. W., 1991, An ecosystem perspective of riparian zones, BioScience, 41: 540-551. https://doi.org/10.2307/1311607
- Hupp, C. R., 1988, Plant ecological aspects of flood geomorphology and paleoflood history, In: Baker, V. R. (Ed.). Flood geomorphology, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 335-357.
- Kannoje, S. R., Maheshwari, R., Kumar, A., 2012, River ecosystem & macro Invertebrate: A review, Bulletin of Environment, Pharmacology and Life Sciences, 2(1), 73-82.
- Lee, M. J., Park, J. Y., Seo, J. K., Lee, H. J., Seo, E. W., Lee, J. E., 2009, Community Structure and Cluster Analysis of the Benthic Macroinvertebrates in Inflow and Outflow area of Ten Reservoirs of Nakdong River System, Journal of Life Science, 19(12), 1758-1763. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.12.1758
- Margalef, R., 1958, Temporal succession and spatial heterogeneity in natural phytoplankton, In perspectives in marine biology, Univ. of California Press, 323-349.
- Maybeck, M., Friedrich, G., Thomas, R., Chapman, D., 1996, Rivers, In: Water quality assessment: a guide to the use of biota, sediments and water in environmental monitoring (2nd edition), UNESCO, WHO, UNEP, and Spon, London, 243-320.
- McNaughton, S. J., 1967, Relationship among functional properties of California Grassland, Nature, 216, 168-169.
- Merritt, R. W., Cummins, K. W., Berg, M. B., 2008, An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 4th eds, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Corporation.
- Chessman, B. C., Robinson, D. P., Hortle, K. G., 1987, Changes in the riffle macroinvertebrate fauna of the Tanjil River, Southeastern Australia, during construction of blue rock dam, Regulated Rivers Research and Management, 1, 317-329. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrr.3450010404
- Armitage, P. D., 1995, Faunal community change in response to flow manipulation, in Harper, D. M and Ferguson, A. J. D. (eds.), the ecological basis of river management, Wiley, Chichester, 59-78.
- Berkman, H. E., Rabeni, C. F., 1987, Effects of siltation on Stream Fish Communities, Environmental Biology of Fishes, 18, 285-294. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00004881
- Carling, P. A., McCahon, C. P., 1987, Natural Siltation of Brown Trout (Salmo trutta L.) Spawning Gravels during Low-flow Conditions, In Craig J. F., Kemper, J. B. (eds.), Regulated streams; Advances in ecology, Plenum Press, NY, 229-244.
- Clarke, R. T., Furse, M. T., Gunn, R. J., Winder, J. M., Wright, J. F., 2002, Sampling variation in macroinvertebrate data and implications for river quality indices, Freshwater Biology, 47, 1735-1751. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.2002.00885.x
- Doeg, T. J., Koehn, J. D., 1994, Effects of draining and desilting a small weir on downstream fish and macroinvertebrates, Regulated Rivers, Research and management, 9, 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrr.3450090407
- Dudgeon, D., 1994, The functional significance of selection of particles by aquatic animals during building behaviour, In Wotton, R. S. (eds.), The biology of particles in aquatic systems, Lewis Publishers, London, 289-312.
- Dynesius, M., Nilsson, C., 1994, Fragmentation and flow regulation of river systems in the northern third of the world, Science, 266, 753-762. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.266.5186.753
- Allan, J. D., 1995, Stream Ecology. Structure and Function of Running waters, Chapman & Hall, Landon.
- Allan, J. D., Johnson, L. B., 1997, Catchment-scale analysis of aquatic ecosystems, Freshwater Biology, 37, 107-111. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.1997.00155.x
- Armitage, P. D., 1984, Environmental changes induced by stream regulation and their effects on lotic macroinvertebrates communities, In: Lillehammer, A. and Saltveit, S. J. (Eds.), Regulated rivers. Universitetsforlaget AS, Oslo, 139-165.