- Volume 6 Issue 5
After strong earthquakes conventional frames used worldwide in multi - story steel buildings (e.g. moment resisting frames) are not well positioned according to reparability. Two innovative systems for seismic resistant steel frames incorporated with dissipative fuses were developed within the European Research Program "FUSEIS" (Vayas et al. 2013). The first, FUSEIS1, resembles a vertical Vierendeel beam and is composed of two closely spaced strong columns rigidly connected to multiple beams. In the second system, FUSEIS2, a discontinuity is introduced in the composite beams of a moment resisting frame and the dissipative devices are steel plates connecting the two parts. The FUSEIS system is able to dissipate energy by means of inelastic deformations in the fuses and combines ductility and architectural transparency with stiffness. In case of strong earthquakes damage concentrates only in the fuses which behave as self-centering systems able to return the structure to its initial undeformed shape. Repair work after such an event is limited only to replacing the fuses. Experimental and numerical investigations were performed to study the response of the fuses system. Code relevant design rules for the seismic design of frames with dissipative FUSEIS and practical recommendations on the selection of the appropriate fuses as a function of the most important parameters and member verifications have been formulated and are included in a Design Guide. This article presents the design and performance of building frames with FUSEIS 1-1 based on models calibrated on the experimental results.
- Saeki, E., Iwamatu, K. and Wada, A. (1996),"Analytical study by finite element method and comparison with experiment results concerning buckling-restrained unbonded braces", J. Struct. Construct. Eng., Architectural Institute of Japan, 484, 111- 120.
- Tena-Colunga, A. (1997), "Mathematica modeling of the ADAS energy dissipation device", Eng. Struct., 19(10), 811-820. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00165-X
- Tsai, K.C., Chen, H.W. and Hong, C. and Su, Y. (1993), "Design of steel triangular plate energy absorbers for seismic-resistant construction", Earthq. Spec., 9(3), 505-528. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585727
- Vayas, I., Karydakis, P.H., Dimakogianni, D., Dougka, G., Castiglioni, C.A. and Kanyilmaz, A. (2012), "Dissipative devices for seismic resistant steel frames - The FUSEIS project, design guide", Research Programme of the Research Fund for Coal and Steel.
- Vayas, I., Karydakis, P.H., Dimakogianni, D., Dougka, G., Castiglioni, C.A. and Kanyilmaz, A. (2013), "Dissipative devices for seismic-resistant steel frames (fuseis)", Research Fund for Coal and Steel, European Commission, EU 25901 EN, 2013.
- Vayas, I. and Thanopoulos, P. (2005), "Innovative dissipative (INERD) pin connections for seismic resistant braced frames", Int. J. Steel Struct., 5(5), 453-464.
- Vayas, I. and Thanopoulos, P. (2006), Dissipative (INERD) "Verbindungenfur stahltragwerke in erdbebengebieten", Stahlbau, 75(12), 993-1003. https://doi.org/10.1002/stab.200610108
- Vayas, I., Thanopoulos, P. and Castiglioni C. (2007), "Stabilitatsverhalten von Stahlgeschossbautenmitdissipativen INERD unter Erdbebenbeanspruchung", Bauingenieur, 82(3), 125-133.
- FEMA - P695 (2009), Quantification of building seismic performance factors, Washington.
- Dimakogianni, D., Dougka, G. and Vayas, I. (2012), "Innovative seismic-resistant steel frames (FUSEIS 1-2) experimental analysis", Steel Construct. Des. Res., 5(4), 212-221. https://doi.org/10.1002/stco.201210026
- FEMA - 356 (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of Buildings, Washington.
- Herning, G., Garlock, M. and Vanmarcke, E. (2009), "Evaluation of design procedure for steel selfcentering moment frames", Proceedings of Steel Structures in Seismic Areas (STESSA), Philadelphia PA, U.S.A., August.
- Karydakis, P.H. (2011), "Innovative systems for stiffness and energy dissipation, INSTED", Ph.D. Dissertation, National Technical University of Athens, Athens.
- Nakashima, M. (1995), "Strain-hardening behavior of shear panels made of low-yield steel. i:test.", J. Struct. Eng., 121(12), 1742-1749. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:12(1742)
- Nakashima, M., Akazawa, T. and Tsuji, B. (1995), "Strain-hardening behavior of shear panels made of lowyield steel.ii:model", J. Struct. Eng., 121(12), 1750-1757. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:12(1750)
- Maheri, M. R. and Akbari, R. (2002), "Seismic behaviour factor, R, for steel X-braced and knee-braced RC buildings", Eng. Struct., 25(12), 1505-1513.
- Plumier, A., Doneux, C., Castiglioni, C., Brescianini, J., Crespi, A., Dell'Anna, S., Lazzarotto, L., Calado, L., Ferreira, J., Feligioni, S., Bursi, O., Ferrario, F., Sommavilla, M., Vayas, I., Thanopoulos, P. and Demarco, T. (2004), Two IN Novations for Earthquake Resistant Design - The INERD Project, Final Report, Research Programme of the Research Fund for Coal and Steel.
- SAP (2000), Csi Computers and Structures Inc., www.csiberkeley.com
- Sabelli, R., Mahin, S. and Chang, C. (2003), "Seismic demands on steel braced buildings with bucklingrestrained braces", Eng. Struct., 25(5), 665-666.
- ATC - 40 (1996), Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings, Applied Technology Council, California.
- CEN (2003), "European standard EN1993-1-1: Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", Comite European de Normalisation, Brussels.
- CEN (2004), "European standard EN 1993-1-8: Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Part 1-8: Design of joints", Comite European de Normalisation, Brussels.
- CEN (2005), "European standard EN1994-1-1: Eurocode 4: Design of composite steel and concrete structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", Comite European de Normalisation, Brussels.
- CEN (2003), "European standard EN1998-1-1: Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 1-1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", Comite European de Normalisation, Brussels.
- Christopoulos, C., Filiatrault, A., Folz, B. and Uang, C.M (2002), "Post-Tensioned Energy Dissipating Connections for Moment-Resisting Steel Frames", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 128(9), 1111-1120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:9(1111)
- Dargush, G. and Soong, T. (1995), "Behavior of metallic plate dampers in seismic passive energy dissipation systems", Earthq. Spec., 11(4), 545-568. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585827
- Seismic behavior of frames with innovative energy dissipation systems (FUSEIS1-2) vol.90, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.01.054
- I.11.00: Innovative systems for seismic resistance: The INNOSEIS Project vol.1, pp.2-3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/cepa.392
- Energy-factor-based damage-control evaluation of steel MRF systems with fuses vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.3.589