- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Investigation on the performance of the six DOF C.G.S., Algeria, shaking table
- Aknouche, Hassan (National Earthquake Engineering Research Center, CGS) ;
- Bechtoula, Hakim (National Earthquake Engineering Research Center, CGS) ;
- Airouche, Abdelhalim (National Earthquake Engineering Research Center, CGS) ;
- Benouar, Djillali (University of Bab Ezzouar (USTHB), FGC/Built Environment Res. Lab. (LBE) BP 32 El Alia)
- Received : 2013.08.25
- Accepted : 2014.01.16
- Published : 2014.05.28
Shaking tables are devices for testing structures or structural components models with a wide range of synthetic ground motions or real recorded earthquakes. They are essential tools in earthquake engineering research since they simulate the effects of the true inertial forces on the test specimens. The destructive earthquakes that occurred at the north part of Algeria during the period of 1954-2003 resulted in an initiative from the Algerian authorities for the construction of a shaking simulator at the National Earthquake Engineering Research Center, CGS. The acceleration tracking performance and specifically the inability of the earthquake simulator to accurately replicate the input signal can be considered as the main challenge during shaking table test. The objective of this study is to validate the uni-axial sinusoidal performances curves and to assess the accuracy and fidelity in signal reproduction using the advanced adaptive control techniques incorporated into the MTS Digital controller and software of the CGS shaking table. A set of shake table tests using harmonic and earthquake acceleration records as reference/commanded signals were performed for four test configurations: bare table, 60 t rigid mass and two 20 t elastic specimens with natural frequencies of 5 Hz and 10 Hz.
- Thoen, B.K. and Laplace, P.N. (2004), "Offline tuning of shaking tables", Proceedings of 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August.
- Trombetti, T.L. and Conte, J.P. (2002), "Shaking table dynamics: results from a test analysis comparison study", J. Earthq. Eng., 6(4), 513-551.
- Twitchell, B.S. and Symans, M.D. (2003), "Analytical modelling, system identification, and Tracking performance of uniaxial seismic simulators", J. Eng. Mech., 129(12), 1485-1488. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2003)129:12(1485)
- Williams, D.M., Williams, M.S. and Blakeborough, A. (2001), "Numerical modelling of a servohydraulic testing system for structures", J. Eng. Mech., 127(8), 816-827. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2001)127:8(816)
- Yang, T.Y. and Schenllenberg, A. (2008), "Using nonlinear control algortithms to imptrove tha quality of shaking table tests", Proceedings of the 14th WorldConference on Earthquake Engineering, Bejin, China, October.
- Yao, J., Duotao, D. and Junwei, H. (2012), "An adaptive notch filter applied to acceleration harmonic cancellation of electro-hydraulic servo system", J.Vib.Control, 18, 641-650. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546311405371
- Plummer, A.R. (2010), "A general coordinate transformation framework formulation axis motion control with application in the testing industry", Control Engineering Practice, 18(6), 598-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2010.02.015
- Nakata, N. (2012), "A multi-purpose earthquake simulator and flexible development platform for actuator controller design", J. Vib. Control, 18(10), 1552-1560. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546311421946
- Ozcelik, O., Luco, J., Conte, J., Trombetti, T. and Restepo, L. (2008a), "Experimental characterisation, modelling and identification of the NEES-UCSD shake table and mechanical system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(2), 243-264. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.754
- Ozcelik, O., Luco, J.E. and Conte, J.P. (2008b), "Identification of the mechanical subsystem of the NEESUCSD shake table by a least-squares approach", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 134(1), 23-34. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2008)134:1(23)
- Ozcelik, O. (2008c), "A Mechanics-based virtual model of NEES-UCSD shake table: theoretical development and experimental validation", PHD Dissertation, University of California, San Diego.
- Rakicevic, Z., Garevski, M., Naumovski, N., Markovski, I., Golubovskic, R. and Filipovski, D. (2012), "Upgrading of 5 DOF seismic simulation system with the newest real time three variable digital control system", Proceedings of 15th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Lisboa, Portugal, September.
- Rinawi, A.M. and Clough, R.W. (1991), "Shaking table-structure interaction", Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California at Berkeley, CA, EERC Report No. 91/13.
- Shortreed, J.S., Seible, F., Filiatrault, A. and Benzoni, G. (2001), "Characterization and testing of the caltrans seismic response modification device test system", Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series, (359) 1829-1850.
- Shen, G., Zheng, S.T., Ye, Z.M., Huang, Q.T., Cong D.C. and Han, J.W. (2011), "Adaptive inverse control of time waveform replication for electrohydraulic shaking table", J. Vib. Control, 17(11), 1611-1633. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546310380431
- Thoen, B.K. (2004), "469D Seismic digital control software", MTS Systems Corporation.
- MTS Systems Corporation. (1991), "STEX- Seismic Test Execution Software", MTS System corp., Box 24012, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55424, October.
- Gu, Q. and Ozcelik, O. (2011), "Integrating open sees with other software - with application to coupling problems in civil engineering", Struct. Eng. Mech., 40(1), 85-103. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.40.1.085
- Jian-Jun, Y., Wie, F. and Jun-Wie, H. (2011), "Impact of excitation signal upon the acceleration harmonic distortion of an electro-hydraulic shaking table", J. Vib.control, 1106-1111.
- Keiichi, O., Nobuyuki, O., Tsuneo, K. and Heki, S. (2004), "Construction of e-defense (3D full-scale earthquake testing facility)", Proceedings of 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August.
- Kusner, D.A., Rood, J.D. and Burton, G.W. (1992), "Signal reproduction fidelity of servohydraulic testing equipment", Proceeding of 10th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, July.
- Luco, J.E., Ozcelik, O. and Conte, J.P. (2010), "Acceleration tracking performance of the UCSD-NEES shake table", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(5), 481-490. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000137
- Maddaloni, G., Ryu, K.P. and Reinhorn, A.M. (2011), "Simulation of floor response spectra in shake table experiments", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., (40), 591-604.
- Matthew, J.M. (1997), "Analysis, design and construction of a shaking table facility", Ph.D. Thesis, Rice University, Huston, Texas.
- Nakata, N. (2010), "Acceleration trajectory tracking control for earthquake simulators", Eng. Struct., 32, 2229-2236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.025
- Nakata, N. (2011), "Error analysis of digitally controlled servo hydraulic actuators for structural testing", J. Earthq. Eng., 15, 901-923. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2010.544375
- Conte, J.P. and Trombetti, T.L. (2000), "Linear dynamic modelling of a uni-axial servo-hydraulic shaking table system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29, 1375-1404. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200009)29:9<1375::AID-EQE975>3.0.CO;2-3
- Adam, C. (1997), "Standardisation of shaking tables", Laboratorio Nacional de Engenharia Civil, Lisboa-Portugal.
- Ceresa, P., Brezzi, F., Calvi, G.M. and Pinho, R. (2012), "Analytical modelling of a large-Scale dynamic testing facility", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(2), 255-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1128
- Clark, A. (1992), "Dynamic Characteristics of large multiple degree of freedom shaking tables", Proceedings of 10th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Madrid, Spain, July.
- Crewe, A.J. and Severn, R.T. (2001), "The european collaborative programme on evaluating the performance of shaking tables", Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. A, 359, 1671-1696. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2001.0861
- Acceleration waveform replication on six-degree-of-freedom redundant electro-hydraulic shaking tables using an inverse model controller with a modelling error vol.40, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0142331216675671
- A rotary valve controlled electro-hydraulic vibration exciter vol.230, pp.19, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406215615156
- Real-time electro-hydraulic hybrid system for structural testing subjected to vibration and force loading vol.33, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechatronics.2015.10.009
- Force Loading Tracking Control of an Electro-Hydraulic Actuator Based on a Nonlinear Adaptive Fuzzy Backstepping Control Scheme vol.10, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/sym10050155