- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Combining in-plane and out-of-plane behaviour of masonry infills in the seismic analysis of RC buildings
- Manfredi, V. (School of Engineering, University of Basilicata, viale dell'Ateneo Lucano) ;
- Masi, A. (School of Engineering, University of Basilicata, viale dell'Ateneo Lucano)
- Received : 2013.07.17
- Accepted : 2014.01.14
- Published : 2014.05.28
Current seismic codes (e.g. the NTC08 Italian code and the EC8 European code) adopt a performance-based approach for both the design of new buildings and the assessment of existing ones. Different limit states are considered by verifying structural members as well as non structural elements and facilities which have generally been neglected in practice. The key role of non structural elements on building performance has been shown by recent earthquakes (e.g. L'Aquila 2009) where, due to the extensive damage suffered by infills, partitions and ceilings, a lot of private and public buildings became unusable with consequent significant socio-economic effects. Furthermore, the collapse of infill panels, particularly in the case of out-of-plane failure, represented a serious source of risk to life safety. This paper puts forward an infill model capable of accounting for the effects arising from prior in-plane damage on the out-of-plane capacity of infill panels. It permits an assessment of the seismic performance of existing RC buildings with reference to both structural and non structural elements, as well as of their mutual interaction. The model is applied to a building type with RC framed structure designed only to vertical loads and representative of typical Italian buildings. The influence of infill on building performance and the role of the out-of-plane response on structural response are also discussed.
RC buildings;seismic assessment;masonry infills;out-of-plane behaviour;in-plane damage;seismic code
- SAP2000 Advanced I 10.0.7, Structural Analysis Program (1995), Computer and Structures Inc. (1995). University Ave. Berkeley, CA, 94704.
- Sullivan, T.J., Calvi, P.M. and Nascimbene, R. (2013), "Towards improved floor spectra estimates for seismic design", Earthq. Struct., 4(1), 109-132. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.1.109
- Verderame, G.M., De Luca, F., Ricci, P. and Manfredi, G. (2011), "Preliminary analysis of a soft-storey mechanism after the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40, 925-944. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1069
- Zuccaro, G., Papa, F., Masi A. and Dolce, M. (2002), "Remarks on the seismic damage in the recent earthquakes in Europe", 12th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paper Reference 706.
- Mucciarelli, M., Bianca, M., Ditommaso, R., Gallipoli, M.R., Masi, A., Parolai, S., Picozzi, M., Milkereit, C. and Vona, M. (2011), "Far field damage on RC buildings: the case study of Navelli during the L'Aquila (Italy) seismic sequence, 2009", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 9(1), 263-283. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9201-y
- Masi, A., Santarsiero, G., Gallipoli, M.R., Mucciarelli, M., Manfredi, V., Dusi, A. and Stabile, T. (2013), "Performance of the health facilities during the 2012 Emilia earthquake and analysis of the Mirandola Hospital case study", Bull. Earthq. Eng., DOI:10.1007/s10518-013-9518-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9518-4
- Minister of Infrastructures (2008), "Decree 14 January 2008, Approval of the New Technical Norms for Constructions", G.U.R.I. n. 29 of 4-2-2008 - S.O. n.30, available at http//www.cslp.it (in Italian).
- Modena, C. and Da Porto, F. (2005), "Icerca sperimentale sul comportamento fuori piano di tamponamenti in muratura di laterizio", available at www.laterizio.it (in Italian).
- Negro, P. and Verzeletti, G., (1996), "Effect of infills on the global behaviour of R/C frames: energy considerations from pseudodynamic tests", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25, 753-773. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199608)25:8<753::AID-EQE578>3.0.CO;2-Q
- NZSEE (2006), "Assessment and Improvement of the Structural Performance of Buildings in Earthquakes", New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, Recommendations of a NZSEE Study Group on Earthquake Risk Buildings, June 2006.
- Panagiotakos, T.B. and Fardis, M.N. (1996), "Seismic response of infilled rc frames structures", Proceedings of 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering; Paper No.225, Acapulco.
- Papia, M., Cavaleri, L. and Fossetti, M. (2003), "Infilled frames: developments in the evaluation of the stiffening effect of infills", Struct. Eng. Mech., 16(6), 675-693. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2003.16.6.675
- Repapis, C., Zeris, C. and Vintzileou, E. (2006), "Evaluation of the seismic performance of existing RC buildings: II. A case study for regular and irregular buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(3), 429-452.
- McDowell, E.L., McKee, K.E. and Sevin, E. (1956), "Arching action theory of masonry walls", J. Struct. Div. (ASCE) 1956, 82(2), 915-918
- FEMA (2000), "FEMA 356: Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings", prepared by American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Hak, S., Morandi, P., Magenes, G. and Sullivan T.J. (2012), "Damage control for clay masonry infills in the design of RC frame structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 16(S1), 1-35.
- Hamed, E. and Rabinovitch, O. (2008), "Nonlinear dynamic behaviour of unreinforced masonry walls subjected to out-of-plane loads", J. Struct. Eng., Vol. 134, No. 11, November 1, 2008;
- Masi, A. (2003), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of gravity load designed R/C frames", Bull. Earthq. Eng. 1(3), 371-395. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BEEE.0000021426.31223.60
- Masi, A. and Vona, M. (2010), "Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of the Fundamental Period of Undamaged and Damaged RC Buildings", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(3), 643-656. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9136-3
- Masi, A., Chiauzzi, L., Braga, F., Mucciarelli, M., Vona, M. and Ditommaso, R. (2011a), "Peak and integral seismic parameters of L'Aquila 2009 ground motions: observed versus code provision values", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 9(1), 139-156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9227-1
- Masi, A., Vona, M. and Mucciarelli, M. (2011b), "Selection of natural and synthetic accelerograms for seismic vulnerability studies on RC frames", J. Struct. Eng., 137(3), 367-378. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000209
- Masi, A., Manfredi, V. and Digrisolo, A. (2012), "Seismic Assessment of RC Existing Irregular Buildings", The 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, September 24-28, 2012, Lisbon.
- Masi, A. and Vona, M. (2012), "Vulnerability assessment of gravity-load designed RC buildings: evaluation of seismic capacity trough non linear dynamic analyses", Eng. Struct., 45, 257-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.043
- CEN (1998), "Eurocode 6: Design of masonry structures - Part 1-1: General rules for buildings - Rules for reinforced and unreinforced masonry", EN 1996-1, March 1998, Brussels.
- Calvi, G.M. and Bolognini, D. (2001), "Seismic response of reinforced concrete frames infilled with weakly reinforced masonry panels", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(2), 153-185.
- CEN (2004), "Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", EN 1998-1, December 2004, Brussels.
- CEN (2005), "Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of buildings", EN 1998-3, June 2005, Brussels.
- Colangelo, F. (2005), "Pseudo-dynamic seismic response of reinforced concrete frames in_lled with nonstructural brick masonry", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34:1219-1241. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.477
- Dawe, J.L. and Seah, C.K., (1989), "Out-of-plane Resistance of Concrete Masonry Infilled Panels", Can. J. Civil Eng., 16, 854-864. https://doi.org/10.1139/l89-128
- Dolsek, M. and Fajfar, P. (2001), "Soft storey effects in uniformly infilled reinforced concrete frames", J. Earthq. Eng., 5, 1-12.
- Fardis, M.N. (2000), "Design provisions for masonry-infilled rc frames", 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering 2000, paper n. 2553.
- Fardis, M.N. and Panagiotakos, T.B. (1997), "Seismic design and response of bare and masonry-infilled reinforced concrete buildings. Part II: infilled structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 1(3), 475-503.
- Flanagan, R.D. and Bennett, R.M. (1993), "Large-scale testing of structural clay tile infilled frames", 1993 Annual Conference of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers, Fredericton, N.B.
- FEMA (1998a), "FEMA 306: Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings - Basic Procedures Manual", prepared by The Applied Technology Council.
- FEMA (1998b), "FEMA 307: Evaluation of Earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings - Technical Resources", prepared by The Applied Technology Council.
- Angel, R., Abrams, D., Shapiro, D., Uzarski, J. and Webster, M. (1994), Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Frames with Masonry Infills, Report No. UILU-ENG-94-2005, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA 1994.
- Angel, R. and Abrams, D.P. (1994), "Out-Of-Plane Strength evaluation of URM infill Panels", Proceedings of the NCEER Workshop on Seismic Response of Masonry Infills, D.P. Abrams Editor, NCEER Technical Report NCEER-94-0004
- Bashandy, T., Rubiano, N. and Lingner, R. (1995), Evaluation and Analytical Verification of Infilled Frame Test Data, Ferguson Structural Engineering Laboratory Rep. No. 95-1, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Texas, Austin.
- Braga, F., Manfredi, V., Masi, A., Salvatori, A. and Vona, M. (2011), "Performance of nonstructural elements in RC buildings during the L'Aquila, 2009 earthquake", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 9, 307-324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9205-7
- Linear time history analysis for the out-of-plane seismic demand of infill walls in RC framed buildings vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-015-9764-8
- The Behavior of Infill Walls in RC Frames Under Combined Bidirectional Loading vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2015.1104748
- In Situ Out-of-Plane Testing of Unreinforced Masonry Cavity Walls in as-Built and Improved Conditions vol.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2015.04.005
- Flow-type landslide fragility of reinforced concrete framed buildings vol.131, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.10.013
- Seismic response of RC buildings during the Mw 6.0 August 24, 2016 Central Italy earthquake: the Amatrice case study 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-017-0277-5
- Seismic Strengthening and Energy Efficiency: Towards an Integrated Approach for the Rehabilitation of Existing RC Buildings vol.8, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings8030036