- Volume 6 Issue 5
The performance of passive control system for the seismic protection of a multi-tower cable-stayed bridge with the application of partially longitudinal constraint system is investigated. The seismic responses of the Jiashao Bridge, a six-tower cable-stayed bridge using the partially longitudinal constraint system are studied under real earthquake ground motions. The effects of the passive control devices including the viscous fluid dampers and elastic cables on the seismic responses of the bridge are examined by taking different values of parameters of the devices. Further, the optimization design principle of passive control system using viscous fluid dampers is presented to determine the optimized parameters of the viscous fluid dampers. The results of the investigations show that the control objective of the multi-tower cable-stayed bridge with the partially longitudinal constraint system is to reduce the base shears and moments of bridge towers longitudinally restricted with the bridge deck. The viscous fluid dampers are found to be more effective than elastic cables in controlling the seismic responses. The optimized parameters for the viscous fluid dampers are determined following the principle that the peak displacement at the end of bridge deck reaches to the maximum value, which can yield maximum reductions in the base shears and moments of bridge towers longitudinally restricted with the bridge deck, with slight increases in the base shears and moments of bridge towers longitudinally unrestricted with the bridge deck.
multi-tower cable-stayed bridge;seismic response;viscous fluid damper;elastic cable;passive control system
- Virlogeux, M. (1999), "Recent evolution of cable-stayed bridges", Eng. Struct., 21(8), 737-755. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00028-5
- Ni, Y.Q., Wang, J.Y. and Lo, L.C. (2005), "Influence of stabilizing cables on seismic response of a multispan cable-stayed bridge", Computer-Aided Civil Inf. Eng., 20(2), 142-153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2005.00383.x
- Papanikolas, P. (2003), "The Rion-Antirion multispan cable-stayed bridge", Proceedings of the 2nd MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics, Cambridge, MA, 548-552.
- Takewaki, I. (2009), Building control with passive dampers:-Optimal performance-based design for earthquakes, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (Asia).
- Fujino, Y. and Siringoringo, D. (2013), "Vibration mechanisms and controls of long-span bridges: a review", Struct. Eng. Int., 23(3), 248-268. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686613X13439149156886
- Domaneschi, M. (2010), "Feasible control solutions of the ASCE benchmark cable-stayed bridge", Struct. Control Health Monit., 17(6), 675-693.
- Domaneschi, M. and Martinelli, L. (2012), "Performance comparison of passive control schemes for the numerically improved ASCE cable-stayed bridge model", Earthq. Struct., 3(2), 181-201. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.2.181
- Fallah, A.Y. and Taghikhany, T. (2013), "Time-delayed decentralized H2/LQG controller for cable-stayed bridge under seismic loading", Struct. Control Health Monit., 20(3), 354-372. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.498
- He, W.L. and Agrawal, A.K. (2007), "Passive and hybrid control systems for seismic protection of a benchmark cable-stayed bridge", Struct. Control Health Monit., 14(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.81
- He, G.J., Zou, Z.Q., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2009), "Seismic response analysis of multi-span cable-stayed bridge", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Concrete and Structures, Changsha, China, 737-742.
- Iemura, H. and Pradono, M.H. (2009), "Advances in the development of pseudo-negative-stiffness dampers for seismic response control", Struct. Control Health Monit., 16(7-8), 784-799.
- Lang, Z.Q., Guo, P.F. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Output frequency response function based design of additional nonlinear viscous dampers for vibration control of multi-degree-of-freedom systems", J. Sound Vib., 332(19), 4461-4481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2013.04.001
- Li, H., Liu, J.L. and Ou, J.P. (2011), "Seismic response control of a cable-stayed bridge using negative stiffness dampers", Struct. Control Health Monit., 18(3), 265-288. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.368
- Murakami, Y., Noshi, K., Fujita, K., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Simultaneous optimal damper placement using oil, hysteretic and inertial mass dampers", Earthq. Struct., 5(3), 261-276. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.3.261
- Barre, C., Flamand, O. and Grillaud, G. (1999), "The Millau viaduct - Special wind studies for an exceptional structure", Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Copenhagen, Denmark, 833-836.
- Bontempi, F., Casciati, F. and Giudici, M. (2003), "Seismic response of a cable-stayed bridge: active and passive control systems (Benchmark problem)", J. Struct. Control, 10(3-4), 169-185. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.24
- Camara, A., Ruiz-Teran, A.M. and Stafford, P.J. (2013), "Structural behaviour and design criteria of underdeck cable-stayed bridges subjected to seismic action", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(6), 891-912. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2251
- Robust multi-objective optimization of STMD device to mitigate buildings vibrations vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.2.347
- Decision-making of alternative pylon shapes of a benchmark cable-stayed bridge using seismic risk assessment vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.583