- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Field investigation and seismic analysis of a historical brick masonry minaret damaged during the Van Earthquakes in 2011
- Muvafik, Murat (Department of Civil Engineering, Yuzuncu Yil University)
- Received : 2013.03.16
- Accepted : 2014.03.09
- Published : 2014.05.28
The paper presents the field investigations and seismic analyses of a historical masonry brick minaret damaged during October 23 (Erciş) and November 9 (Edremit), 2011 Van earthquakes in Turkey. Ulu Mosque Minaret located on Tebriz Kap1 Street in the city centre of Van, Turkey is selected for investigation. Two earthquakes hit the minaret within seventeen days, causing progressive damage. It was seen from the field investigations that the minaret was heavily damaged. To validate the field investigations, three dimensional finite element model of the minaret is constituted by ANSYS software using relievo drawings. Finite element model of the minaret is analyzed under the Van earthquake records to determine the seismic behavior. The displacements, maximum and minimum principal stresses and strains are obtained from the analyses and compared with field observations.
earthquake damages;seismic analyses;masonry minarets;Ulu Mosque minaret;Van earthquakes in 2011;field investigations
AFAD (2011), Earthquake Department of the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency, Ankara, Turkey.
- Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B., Altunisik, A.C. and Turker, T. (2010), "Earthquake analysis of reinforced concrete minarets using ambient vibration test results", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 19(3), 257-273.
- Bayraktar, A., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B., Turker, T., Akkose, M. and Coskun, N. (2008), "Modal analysis, experimental validation and calibration of a historical masonry minaret", J. Test. Eval., 36(6), 516-524.
- Sezen, H., Acar, R., Dogangun, A. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Dynamic analysis and seismic performance of reinforced concrete minarets", Eng. Struct., 30(8), 2253-2264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.11.005
- EERC (2011), Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Processed Mainshock Accelerometric Recordings of the 23 October 2011 Van Earthquake, Report No. METU/EERC 2011-02, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Bayraktar, A., Altunisik, A.C. and Muvafik, M. (2012), "Field investigation on the performance of masonry buildings during the October 23 and November 9, 2011 Van Earthquakes in Turkey", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000383. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000383
- KOERI (2011), Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Preliminary Report, The November 09, 2011 Edremit-Van, Turkey Earthquake (ML=5.6), Department of Earthquake Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Turkish Earthquake Resistant Design Code (2011), Specifications for Structures to be Built in Disaster Areas, Ministry of Public Works and Settlement, General Directorate of Disaster Affairs, Earthquake Research Department, Ankara, Turkey.
- ANSYS V10.1.3. (2008), Swanson Analysis System, Pennsylvania, US.
- Dogangun, A., Acar, R., Sezen, H. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Investigation of dynamic response of masonry minaret structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 6(3), 505-517. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-008-9066-5
- Haciefendioglu, K. and Birinci, F. (2011), "Stochastic dynamic response of masonry minarets subjected to random blast and earthquake-induced ground motions", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 20(6), 669-678. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.552
- Sahin, A., Bayraktar, A., Ozcan, D.M., Sevim, B., Altunisik, A.C. and Turker, T. (2011), "Dynamic field test, system identification, and modal validation of an RC minaret: preprocessing and postprocessing the wind-induced ambient vibration data", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 25(4), 36-356.
- Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B., Altunisik, A.C. and Turker, T. (2009), "Analytical and operational modal analyses of Turkish style reinforced concrete minarets for structural identification", Exper. Tech., 33(2), 65-75.
- El-Attar, A., Saleh, A., El-Habbal, I., Zaghw, A.H. and Osman, A. (2008), "The use of SMA wire dampers to enhance the seismic performance of two historical Islamic minarets", Smart Struct. Syst., 4(2), 221-232. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2008.4.2.221
- El-Attar, A.G., Saleh, A.M. and Zaghw, A.H., (2005) "Conservation of a slender historical Mamluk-style minaret by passive control techniques", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 12(2), 157-177. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.54
- Menon, A., Lai, C.G. and Macchi, G. (2004), "Seismic hazard assessment of the historical site of Jam in Afghanistan and stability analysis of the Minaret", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(1), 251-294.
- Bayraktar, A., Altunisik, A.C., Sevim, B. and Turker, T. (2011), "Seismic response of a historical masonry minaret using a finite element model updated with operational modal testing", J. Vib. Control, 17(1), 129-149. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546309353288
- Turk, A.M. and Cosgun, C. (2012), "Seismic behavior and retrofit of historic masonry minaret", Gradevinar, 64(1), 39-45.
- Oliveira, C.S., Cakti, E., Stengel, D. and Branco, M. (2012), "Minaret behavior under earthquake loading: the case of historical Istanbul", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(1), 19-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1115
- Evaluation of masonry minarets collapsed by a strong wind under uncertainty vol.76, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-014-1531-7
- Fragility curves of gravity-load designed RC buildings with regularity in plan vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.1.001
- In-Plane Behaviour of a Reinforcement Concrete Frame with a Dry Stack Masonry Panel vol.9, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma9020108
- Nonlinear seismic response of a masonry arch bridge vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.2.483