- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Dependence of Mobile Instant Messenger
모바일 인스턴트 메신저 의존도에 관한 연구
- Received : 2014.01.14
- Accepted : 2014.03.26
- Published : 2014.03.31
With the recent establishment of a ubiquitous environment and the paradigm shift to a smart society, the use of mobile devices, such as smart phones and tablet PCs, has become widespread. Thus, the trend is gradually shifting from using Web-based Instant Messenger to using Mobile-based Instant Messenger. Mobile Instant Messenger refers to a service that allows instant messaging as well as data sending and receiving between individuals with exclusive application programs(mobile Apps), which can be used in portable devices-such as smart phones-with wireless Internet access. Korea's portal sites, telecommunication companies, and even big companies have all rushed into the MIM market to join the competition. The reason so many companies are showing interest in the MIM business is because it is rising as a core platform to substitute portal sites in the mobile society, and MIM is perceived as the best means to attract and secure users. The intention to reuse or use continually was considered an important factor in maintaining a dominant position amidst such fierce competition, and consequently, most research thus far has reflected such thought. However, the frequent or long-term use of a system alone cannot indicate the definite success of the system, nor guarantee its dominant position in the market. On the contrary, MIM dependence, which goes beyond simple repetitive use and indicates a state where users actually or emotionally depend on a specific system, can better explain the user action. However, not much research has been conducted on dependence. The research results showed that lively message, concise message, message responsiveness, and social belonging significantly affected perceived usefulness. Message responsiveness, Link, and social belonging significantly affected flow. Flow significantly affected MIM dependence, and perceived usefulness did not affect MIM dependence. This study has proven that lively message, concise message, message responsiveness, Link, social belonging and perceived usefulness are important antecedents and mediating factors of MIM dependence. Moreover, this study is significant in that it explains the overall process of MIM dependence, and expands on the variety and scope of research that can be applied to MIM-related studies.
Mobile Instant Messenger(MIM);Dependence;Perceived usefulness;Flow
- 배병렬, LISREL 구조방정식모델-이해, 활용 및 프로그래밍, 청람, 2006.
- 고성자, "초등학생용 휴대전화 의존성 진단척도 개발 및 타당화," 초등교육연구, 제25권, 제2호, 2012, pp. 43-68.
- 문병석, 이건창, "온라인 커뮤니티내의 포럼사이트품질만족 및 조절변수 효과에 관한 연구," 한국경영과학회/대한산업공학회 춘계학술대회논문집, 2007, pp. 761-762.
- 박경자, 유일, 김재전, "Social Network Service (SNS) 지속사용에 관한 연구 : 사용자의 SNS 리터러시 조절효과를 중심으로," 정보시스템연구, 제22권, 제1호, 2013, pp. 65-87.
- 예종석, 김동욱, "인터넷 이용충족, 플로우 및 개인적 성향이 인터넷 중독에 미치는 영향," 소비자학연구, 제14권, 제2호, 2003, pp. 45-83.
- 서현식, 송인국, "반강제적 환경에서 정보시스템 의존에 미치는 영향요인 연구: 공공기관 KMS 활용 사례와 전환비용의 매개적 역할을 중심으로," 정보시스템연구, 제21권, 제2호, 2012, pp. 45-71. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2012.21.2.45
- 신소영, "개인특성과 스마트폰의 혁신서비스 특성이 수용태도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 홍익대학교 석사학위논문, 2010.
- 안성혜, 윤세진, "비언어적 감정표현을 위한 애니메이션 이모티콘의 제작방향 제시," 한국콘텐츠학회 2006년도 추계종합학술대회 발표집, 2006.
- Jones, G., Edwards, G., and Reid, A., "How can mobile SMS communication support and enhance a first year undergraduate learning environment," Research in Learning Technology, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2009, pp. 201-218. https://doi.org/10.1080/09687760903247625
- 유일, 신선진, 소순후, "플로우 영향요인이 e-러닝시스템 사용자의 만족과 지속적 이용의도에 미치는 영향," 고객만족경영연구, 제9권, 제2호, 2007, pp. 81-96.
- 유일, 최혁라, "온라인 커뮤니티에서 사회적 영향이 플로우, 지각된 유용성, 이용의도에 미치는 영향: 싸이월드를 중심으로," 정보시스템연구, 제17권, 제2호, 2008, pp. 113-135. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2008.17.2.113
- 이병혁, 옥석재, "모바일 오피스 시스템의 성공요인에 관한 연구," 인터넷전자상거래연구, 제4권, 제2호, 2004, pp. 33-47.
- 이보경, 김병수, "모바일 인스턴트 메신저의 지속사용 의도와 구전 의도에 관한 연구," e-비즈니스 연구, 제13권, 제3호, 2012, pp. 499-523.
- 이웅규, 이승헌, "정보기술 사용에서의 놀이성, 유용성 그리고 사회적 영향: 미니홈피 사용을 중심으로," Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 제15권, 제3호, 2005, pp. 91-109.
- 이원준, "신상품의 유비쿼터스 상호작용 속성이 수용 및 확산에 미치는 영향," 서울대학교 박사학위논문, 2005.
- 이준엽, "온라인 고객 커뮤니티에서의 고객몰입과 구매충성도 간의 관계에 관한 연구," 한국과학기술원 석사학위논문, 2004.
- 이희정, "사회적 자본과 정보의 특성이 SNS 內의 상호작용에 미치는 영향," 마케팅연구, 제28권, 제2호, 2013, pp. 109-133.
- 한국인터넷진흥원, "2012년 스마트폰이용실태 조사," 한국인터넷진흥원, 2012.
- 한국인터넷진흥원, "2013 인터넷백서," 한국인터넷진흥원, 2013.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorder, 4th ed.,. American Psychiatric Association. Washington, 1994.
- Ball-Rokeach, S. J., "The origins of individual media-system dependency a sociological framework," Communication Research, Vol. 12, No. 4, 1985, pp. 485-510. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365085012004003
- Choe, I. S., "Motivation, Subjective Experience, and Academic Achievement in Korea High School Students," Ph.D Dissertation, University of Chicago, 1995.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M., Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, Harper and Row, New York, 1990.
- Coyle, J. R., and Thorson, E., "The effects of progressive levels of interactivity and vividness in web marketing sites," Journal of advertising, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2001, pp. 65-77.
- Davis, F. D., "Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, 1989, pp. 319-340. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P., and Warshaw, P. R., "Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation to use computers in the workplace1," Journal of applied social psychology, Vol. 22, No. 14, 1992, pp. 1111-1132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1992.tb00945.x
- Deci, E. L., Intrinsic motivation, Plenum Press, New York, 1975.
- Deci, E. L., and Ryan, R. M., "The "what" and "why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior," Psychological inquiry, Vol. 11, No. 4, 2000, pp. 227-268. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_01
- DeLone, W. H., and McLean, E. R., "Information systems success: The quest for the dependent variable," Information Systems Research, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1992, pp. 60-95. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.3.1.60
- Deng, Z., Lu, Y., Wei, K. K., and Zhang J., "Understanding Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty: An Empirical Study of Mobile Instant Messages in China," InterQnational Journal of Information Management, Vol. 30, No. 4, 2010, pp. 289-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2009.10.001
- Fornell, C., and Larcker, D. F., "Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1981, pp. 382-388. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Griffiths, M., "Internet addiction: Fact or fiction?," The Psychologist, Vol. 12, No. 5, 1999, pp. 246-250.
- Herr, P. M., Kardes, F. R., and Kim, J., "Effects of word-of-mouth and product-attribute information on persuasion: An accessibility-diagnosticity perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 17, No. 4, 1991, pp. 454-462. https://doi.org/10.1086/208570
- Hsu, M. H., and Chiu, C. M., "Predicting electronic service continuance with a decomposed theory of planned behaviour," Behaviour and Information Technology, Vol. 23, No. 5, 2004, pp. 359-373. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290410001669969
- Igbaria, M., Parasuraman, S., and Baroudi, J. J., "A Motivational Model of Microcomputer Usage," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1996, pp. 127-143. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1996.11518115
- Jiang, G., and Deng, W., "An Empirical Analysis of Factors Influencing the Adoption of Mobile Instant Messaging in China," International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2011, pp. 563-584. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2011.042777
- Madu, C. N., and Madu, A. A., "Dimensions of e-quality," International Journal of Quality & reliability management, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2002, pp. 246-258. https://doi.org/10.1108/02656710210415668
- Kang, I., Lee, K. C., Lee, S., and Choi, J., "Investigation of online community voluntary behavior using cognitive map," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2007, pp. 111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2004.03.039
- Ke, Y., and Li, W., "A Study of the Factors Affecting the Adoption of Mobile Instant Messaging in China," Eighth International Conference on Mobile Business, 2009, pp. 93-98.
- Kim, Y. C., Jung, J. Y., and Ball-Rokeach, S. J., "Ethnicity, place, and communication technology: Effects of ethnicity on multi-dimensional internet connectedness," Information Technology & People, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2007, pp. 282-303. https://doi.org/10.1108/09593840710822877
- Lee, R. M., and Robbins, S. B., "Measuring belongingness: The Social Connectedness and the Social Assurance scales," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 42, No. 2, 1995, pp. 232-241. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0126.96.36.199
- Liu, Z., Min, Q., and Ji, S., "A Study of Mobile Instant Messaging Adoption: Within-Culture Variation," International Journal of Mobile Communications, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2011, pp. 280-295. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2011.040607
- Lowe, B., and Laffey, D., "Is Twitter for the Birds?: Using Twitter to Enhance Student Learning in a Marketing Course," Journal of Marketing Education, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2011, pp. 183-192. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475311410851
- Lu, X., Watanabe, J., Liu, Q., Uji, M., Shono, M., and Kitamura, T., "Internet and mobile phone text-messaging dependency: Factor structure asnd correlation with dysphoric mood among Japanese adults," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, pp. 1702-1709.
- McCune, J. C., "Technology dependence," Management Review, Vol. 88, No. 1, 1999, pp. 10-12.
- McMillan, D. W., and Chavis, D. M., "Sense of community: A definition and theory," Journal of community psychology, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1986, pp. 6-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6629(198601)14:1<6::AID-JCOP2290140103>3.0.CO;2-I
- Nunnally, J. C., Psychometric Theory, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, NY, 1978.
- Nisbett, R.E., and Ross, L., Human Inference: Strategies and Shortcomings of Social Judgement, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall, NJ, 1980.
- Rogers, E. M., Diffusion of Innovations, 5th ed., Free Press, New York, 2003.
- Olson, M. H., and Lucas Jr, H. C., "The impact of office automation on the organization: some implications for research and practice," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 25, No. 11, 1982, pp. 838-847. https://doi.org/10.1145/358690.358720
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. and Berry, L. L., "A Conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 49, No. 4, 1985, pp. 41-50.
- Rai, A. L., Lang, S. S., and Welker, R. B., "Assessing the validity of IS success models: An empirical test and theoretical analysis," Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2002, pp. 50-69. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.188.8.131.52
- Rainer Jr, R. K., and Watson, H. J., "The keys to executive information system success," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 2, 1995, pp. 83-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1995.11518082
- Roca, J. C., and Gagne, M., "Understanding e-learning continuance intention in the workplace: A self-determination theory perspective," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2008, pp. 1585-1604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2007.06.001
- Sanders, I. T., The Community, Ronald Press, New York, 1975.
- Seddon, P. B., "A respecification and extension of the DeLone and McLean model of IS success," Information Systems Research, Vol. 8, No, 3, 1997, pp. 240-253. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.8.3.240
- Seddon, P. B., and Kiew, M. Y., "A partial test and development of DeLone and McLean's model of IS success," Australian Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1996, pp. 90-109.
- Shu, Q., Tu, Q., and Wang, K., "The impact of computer self-efficacy and technology dependence on computer-related technostress: A social cognitive theory perspective," International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Vol. 27, No. 10, 2011, pp. 923-939. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2011.555313
- Yang, S. Y. and Park, Y. S., "A Prediction Model of Cellular Phone Addiction Tendency Among Adolescents," Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2005, pp. 1-16.
- Zhou, T. and Lu, Y., "Examining Mobile Instant Messaging User Loyalty from the Perspectives of Network Externalities and Experience," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2011, pp. 883-889. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.11.013