- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A study of the User Privacy Protection Behavior in Online Environment: Based on Protection Motivation Theory
인터넷상에서의 개인정보 보호행동에 관한 연구: 보호동기이론을 중심으로
- Park, Chanouk (Graduate School of Information, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Woo (Graduate School of Information, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.01.09
- Accepted : 2014.02.27
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study applied customer perspective to find out ways how to protect customers' privacy by themselves. It does so by examining the factors which affect customer privacy protection behaviors. Based on the Privacy Act, this study developed the construct of Privacy Rights awareness and finds the law's effect on privacy awareness and behavioral change. The study finds that there exists a significant difference in privacy protection behavior according to privacy rights awareness. Independent variables are as follows: Five variables (Perceived vulnerability, Perceived severity, Perceived response effectiveness, Perceived barriers, Privacy Rights awareness) were tested as critical variables influencing Behavioral Intention in PMT model. Privacy awareness had a moderating effect on the relationship between perceived severity and privacy protection behavior. This study would contribute on theoretical expansion of Protection Motivation Theory and also provide practical implications for effective ways to promote behavioral changes.
- Warren, Samuel D., and Louis D. Brandeis. "The right to privacy." Harvard law review 4, no. 5 (1890): 193-220. https://doi.org/10.2307/1321160
- Mayer-Schonberger, Viktor. "The Internet and Privacy Legislation: Cookies for a Treat?." Computer Law & Security Review 14, no. 3 (1998): 166-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-3649(98)80024-1
- DeCew, Judith W. In pursuit of privacy: Law, ethics, and the rise of technology. Cornell University Press, 1997.
- McCullagh, Karen. "Blogging: self presentation and privacy." Information & communications technology law 17, no. 1 (2008): 3-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/13600830801886984
- Lee, Mi-Na, and Shim, Jae-Woong. "The Moderating Effect by Gender in the Relationship between the Perception of Online Privacy and Use of Privacy Protection Strategy." Media, gender&culture 12 (2009): 166-190
- Ki, Sojin, and Lee, Sooyoung. "Exploring Categories of SNS User on the Basis of Privacy Concern and Self-Efficacy." Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies 57, no. 1 (2013): 81-110.
- Culnan, Mary J. "How did they get my name?: An exploratory investigation of consumer attitudes toward secondary information use." Mis Quarterly 17, no. 3 (1993): 341-363. https://doi.org/10.2307/249775
- Choi, Hyuk-ra, and Shin, Jeoung-shin. "Antecedents to Internet Privacy Concerns and Their Effect on the Trust and the Online Transaction Intention of Internet Users." Journal of information technology applications & m 16, no. 3 (2007): 21-44.
- Rogers, Ronald W. "A Protection Motivation Theory of Fear Appeals and Attitude Change1." The Journal of Psychology 91, no. 1 (1975): 93-114. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1975.9915803
- Ifinedo, Princely. "Understanding information systems security policy compliance: An integration of the theory of planned behavior and the protection motivation theory." Computers & Security 31, no. 1 (2012): 83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2011.10.007
- Kim, Jongki, and Kim, Sanghee. "Privacy Protection Behavior of Online User : Based on Privacy Paradox Perspective" The Journal of internet electronic commerce research 13, no. 1 (2013): 41-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-013-9105-4
- Maddux, James E., and Ronald W. Rogers. "Protection motivation and self-efficacy: A revised theory of fear appeals and attitude change." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 19, no. 5 (1983): 469-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(83)90023-9
- Rogers, Ronald W. "Cognitive and physiological processes in fear appeals and attitude change: A revised theory of protection motivation." Social psychophysiology (1983): 153-176.
- Woon, Irene, Gek-Woo Tan, and R. Low. "A protection motivation theory approach to home wireless security." (2005).
- Chenoweth, Tim, Robert Minch, and Tom Gattiker. "Application of protection motivation theory to adoption of protective technologies." In System Sciences, 2009. HICSS'09. 42nd Hawaii International Conference on, pp. 1-10. IEEE, 2009.
- Lee, Younghwa. "Understanding anti-plagiarism software adoption: An extended protection motivation theory perspective." Decision Support Systems 50, no. 2 (2011): 361-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.07.009
- Workman, Michael, William H. Bommer, and Detmar Straub. "The amplification effects of procedural justice on a threat control model of information systems security behaviours." Behaviour & Information Technology 28, no. 6 (2009): 563-575. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290802556021
- Liang, Huigang, and Yajiong Xue. "Understanding security behaviors in personal computer usage: A threat avoidance perspective." Journal of the Association for Information Systems 11, no. 7 (2010): 394-413. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00232
- Johnston, Allen C., and Merrill Warkentin. "Fear appeals and information security behaviors: an empirical study." MIS quarterly 34, no. 3 (2010): 549-566. https://doi.org/10.2307/25750691
- Bum-suk Jee, Liu Fan, Sang-Chul Lee, Yung-Ho Suh. "Personal information Protection behavior for Information quality: Health psychology Therory perspectives" Journal of the Korean Society for Quality Management 39, no. 3 (2011): 432-443.
- Heider, Fritz. "Attitudes and cognitive organization." The Journal of psychology 21, no. 1 (1946): 107-112. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1946.9917275
- Chan, Ricky YK. "Determinants of Chinese consumers' green purchase behavior." Psychology & Marketing 18, no. 4 (2001): 389-413. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.1013
- Youn, Seounmi. "Teenagers' perceptions of online privacy and coping behaviors: a risk-benefit appraisal approach." Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media 49, no. 1 (2005): 86-110. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4901_6
- Youn, Seounmi. "Determinants of online privacy concern and its influence on privacy protection behaviors among young adolescents." Journal of Consumer Affairs 43, no. 3 (2009): 389-418. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01146.x
- HyungJinWoo. "Exploring the Relationship between Television News Viewing and Audiences' Intention to the Health Promotion." Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies 51, no. 2 (2007): 308-333.
- Gurung, Anil, Xin Luo, and Qinyu Liao. "Consumer motivations in taking action against spyware: an empirical investigation." Information Management & Computer Security 17, no. 3 (2009): 276-289. https://doi.org/10.1108/09685220910978112
- Milne, George R., Andrew J. Rohm, and Shalini Bahl. "Consumers' protection of online privacy and identity." Journal of Consumer Affairs 38, no. 2 (2004): 217-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2004.tb00865.x
- Buchanan, Tom, Carina Paine, Adam N. Joinson, and Ulf-Dietrich Reips. "Development of measures of online privacy concern and protection for use on the Internet." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 58, no. 2 (2007): 157-165. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20459
- LaRose, Robert, Nora Rifon, Sunny Liu, and Doohwang Lee. "Understanding online safety behavior: A multivariate model." In The 55th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association, New York City. 2005.
- Bandura, Albert. "Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change." Psychological review 84, no. 2 (1977): 191. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Milne, George R., Lauren I. Labrecque, and Cory Cromer. "Toward an understanding of the online consumer's risky behavior and protection practices." Journal of Consumer Affairs 43, no. 3 (2009): 449-473. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01148.x
- Yao, Mike Z., and Daniel G. Linz. "Predicting self-protections of online privacy." CyberPsychology & Behavior 11, no. 5 (2008): 615-617. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0208
- J. Hun Park and Suk Hyun Lee. "Privacy,User Behavior,User Attitude, Attitude-Behavior Inconsistency,Path Analysis." Korean Journal of Public Administration 45, no. 1 (2007): 281-307.
- Lee, Doohwang, Robert Larose, and Nora Rifon. "Keeping our network safe: a model of online protection behaviour." Behaviour & Information Technology 27, no. 5 (2008): 445-454. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290600879344
- Zhang, Lixuan, and William C. McDowell. "Am I really at risk? Determinants of online users' intentions to use strong passwords." Journal of Internet Commerce 8, no. 3-4 (2009): 180-197. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332860903467508
- Mattson, Marifran. "Toward a reconceptualization of communication cues to action in the health belief model: HIV test counseling." Communications Monographs 66, no. 3 (1999): 240-265. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637759909376476
- Jun Hong Kim. "The Effects of Victimization Experiences as Internal Cues to Action on Preventive Behavioral Intentions in Cyber Communication: Modifying Health Belief Model." Journal of Cybercommunication 27, no. 3 (2010): 5-46.
- Min Sik Lee. "The Reactions to Cybercrime Victimization: Testing a Generic Model.." Jounal of Victimology 10, no. 2 (2002): 209-247
- Jihye Kim. "Analysis of the consumer privacy protection behavior in online based on protection motivation theory." Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University (2010).
- Hoffman, Donna L., Thomas P. Novak, and Patrali Chatterjee. "Commercial scenarios for the Web: opportunities and challenges." Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 1, no. 3 (1995): 0-0.
- McCole, Patrick, Elaine Ramsey, and John Williams. "Trust considerations on attitudes towards online purchasing: The moderating effect of privacy and security concerns." Journal of Business Research 63, no. 9 (2010): 1018-1024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.02.025
- Song, J. J. "SPSS/AMOS statistical analytic method for thesis." Paju: 21C Book Company (2008).
- Adaptive Multi-Layer Security Approach for Cyber Defense vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2015.16.5.01
- Analyzing the Privacy Leakage Prevention Behavior of Internet Users Based on Risk Perception and Efficacy Beliefs : Using Risk Perception Attitude Framework vol.19, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2014.19.3.065
- Knowledge and Practice of Dental Practitioners Regarding Patient’s Personal Information vol.17, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.99
- A Study on Factors Affecting the Investment Intention of Information Security vol.19, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2018.19.8.1515