- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Traffic Accident Reduction Effects of Section Speed Enforcement Systems(SSES) Operation in Freeways
고속도로 구간과속단속시스템 운영에 따른 교통사고 감소효과
- Jung, Yong Il (Chungbuk Branch, Road Traffic Authority) ;
- Beak, Tae Hun (Department of Urban Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Yoon Hwan (Division of Traffic & Logistics, Chungbuk Province Government) ;
- Park, Byung Ho (Department of Urban Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.11.22
- Accepted : 2014.02.26
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study aims to evaluate the accident reduction effects of 'Section Speed Enforcement System' (SSES) operation in freeways. In pursuing the above, this study collects the accident data for 5 years (2 years before operation and 3 years after operation) at all 9 sections where SSESs are operated, and evaluates annually the effects before and after operation using the comparison group method (C.G. Method). The measures of effectiveness are total accidents (TAs), fatal and serious accidents (FSAs), total injuries (TIs) and fatal and serious injuries (FSIs). The main results are as follows. First, TAs and TIs are reduced to 41.7 and 17.1%, respectively. Second, FSAs and FSIs are reduced to 41.7 and 32.2%, respectively. Therefore, SSES has more effectiveness at fatal and serious accident. Third, the accident reduction effect has been increasing, and particularly the effect of 'after three years' is evaluated to be notable.
- Douglas W., Karin M., Ingrid B., Darren J., Karea R., Emilia R., et al. (2003), Safety Effectiveness of Intersection Left and Right Turn Lanes, TRB 2003 Annual Meeting CD-ROM, 1840, 131-139.
- Evertse M. W. (1998), Development and Implementation of a System for Travel-Time based Speed Enforcement Using Video-Technology, 5th ITS World Congress, 2088.
- Han W. S., Kim M. B., Hyeon C. S. (2005), The Enforcement Scheme of the Over speeding vehicle by Travel Speed , J. Korean Soc. Transp, 23(1), Korean Society of Transportation, 21-32.
- Hauer E. (1997), Observational Before-after studies on Road Safety, Pergamon.
- Joo D. H., Hyeon C. S., Han W. S., Lee C. G. (2009), Study on the Analysis for the Effects of the Automated Speed Enforcement System Application, J. Intelligent Transport System, 8(6), The Korea Institute of Inteligent Transport Systems, 55-63.
- Jung Y. I., Park B. H., Beak T. H. (2012), Traffic Accident Reduction Effects on the Operation of Point to Point Speed Enforcement Systems, The 66th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, 303-308.
- KICT(Korea Institute of Construction Technology), Traffic Monitoring System, http://www.road.re.kr.
- Kim T. Y., Park B. H. (2010), Accident Reduction Effects by Year After Installation of Red Light Cameras, J. Intelligent Transport System, 9(2), The Korea Institute of Inteligent Transport Systems, 23-32.
- Kim Y. S., Cho Y. B. (2005), A Study on the Installation of the Automated Speed Enforcement Camera for the Effectiveness, J. Korean Soc. Transp, 23(5), Korean Society of Transportation, 35-45.
- Korea Expressway Corporation, www.ex.co.kr.
- KoROAD (2008), A Study of Developing Evaluation Model and Design Criteria for Point to Point Average Speed Based Enforcement, KoROAD.
- KoROAD(Road Traffic Authority) (2007), A Study of Developing Point to Point Average Speed Based Enforcement, KoROAD.
- KoROAD, Traffic Accident Analysis System(TAAS), http://taas.rota.or.kr.
- Lee D. M., Kim D. H., Song G. S. (2011a), Analysis of Effects From Traffic Safety Improvement on Roadways Using C-G Methed, J. Korean Soc. Transp, 29(3), Korean Society of Transportation, 31-40.
- Lee H. W., Joo D. H., Hyeon C. S., Kim D. H. (2011b), Improving the Evaluation Method for Before and After Based on Point to Point Average Speed, J. traffic safety research, 30, KoROAD(Road Traffic Authority), 53-67.
- Lee H. W., Kim D. H., Park B. H., Lee C. G., Ha D. I., Lee B. C. (2010), A Study on Driving Characteristics of Drivers at the Enforcement System Based on Speed Data, J. Intelligent Transport System, 9(6), The Korea Institute of Inteligent Transport Systems, 43-53.
- Lee S. B., Jung D. Y., Kim D. K. (2008), The Effect of a School Zone Improvement Project on Crash Reduction Regarding Land Use Characteristics, . Korean Soc. Transp, 26(3), Korean Society of Transportation, 109-117.
- Lee S. H., Lee Y. D., Do M. S. (2012), Safety Impacts of Red Light Enforcement on Signalized Intersections, J. Korean Soc. Transp, 30(6), Korean Society of Transportation, 93-102. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2012.30.6.093
- Mun S. R., Lee Y. I., Lee S. B. (2012), Developing a Traffic Accident prediction model for Freeways, J. Korean Soc. Transp, 30(2), Korean Society of Transportation, 101-116. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2012.30.2.101
- Park B. H., Jung Y. I., Kim K. H. (2012), Traffic Accdient Reduction Effects of the All-Red Clearance Interval(ARCI) Operation, J. Korea Soc. Transp, 30(2), Korean Society of Transportation, 21-27.
- Park J. J., Lee Y. M., Park J. B., Gang J. G. (2008), The Effect of Point to Point Speed Enforcement Systems on Traffic Flow Characteristics, J. Korean Soc. Transp, 26(3), Korean Society of Transportation, 85-95.
- Yoo S. J. (2009), Introduction of Point to Point Average Speed Enforcement System (무인구간단속 시스템 개요 설명), Transportation Technology and Policy, 6(1), Korean Society of Transportation, 178-184.
- Yun I. S., Park S. H., Oh B. S., Oh Y. T. (2011), Study of the Effect of Point to Point Speed Enforcement System Using a Comparison-Group Method, J. Korea Soc. Road Eng, 13(4), Korea Society of Road Engineers, 177-185. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2011.13.4.177