- Volume 14 Issue 2
Objectives : The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between humor and empowerment in clinical dental hygienist. Methods : Subjects were 374 clinical dental hygienist in Jeollabuk-do from April 20 to June 4, 2013. Data were analyzed using the statistical package SPSS WIN 12.0 for frequency, mean and standard deviation analysis, one-way ANOVA and linear regression. Results : The mean score or the clinical dental hygienist of humor was 2.55 out of 4 each of the sub-dimensions including emotional expressiveness, message sensitivity and preference of humor. Empowerment was 3.50 out of 5 and each of the sub-dimensions including meaning, competence, self-determination and impact. There was a significantly positive correlation between the sense of humor and the empowerment. Conclusions : It is necessary to develop the empowerment combined with humor sense in the curricula of dental hygiene education and leadership management in the clinical dental hygienist.
- Nam KH. A study on the relationship of empowerment with job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by nurses[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul, 2001.
- Park WW. Empowerment: its meaning and application. Korean Management Review 1997; 26(1): 115-38.
- Kang JH. Evaluating the causal relationships among organizational support, organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and service quality in the hotel F &B department. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 2003; 19(2): 155-64.
- Lee SM. A study on the relationship of power and empowerment, self-efficacy of dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2005; 5(1): 77-88.
- Svebak S. Revised questionnaire on the sense of humor. Scandinavian J Psychology 1974; 15(4): 328-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9450.1974.tb00597.x
- Son HS. The relationship between nurses'sense of humor and empowerment[Master's thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Ajou, 2008.
- Spreitzer GM. Psychoiogical empowerment in the workplace. Acad Manage J 1995; 38(5): 1442-65. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Jung HJ. A study on the influence of empowerment on job satisfaction and organizational commitment[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul, 1998.
- Hunt AH. Humor as a nursing intervention. Cancer nursing 1993; 16(1): 34.
- Suh MJ, Kim KS. A study on the sence of humor of the hospitalized patients. J Korean Acad Soc Adult Nurs 1993; 5(1): 72-85.
- Kim MI, Park IS. Research articles: ethical dilemma and empowerment among dental hygienists in some regions. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(4): 383-91.
- Park HS, Choi MH. A study on empowerment and job satisfaction, perceived by a dental hygienist. Chung-Ang J Nurs 2003; 7(2): 67-76.
- Yim JS. A study on nurses' jop experiences: focused on the gerneral wards and the chronic care wards[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 1995.
- Min S, Jung YJ, Kim HS. Correlation between a sense of humor in nurses and their performance. Daehan J Business 2004; 17(4): 1427-44.
- Choi JI, Hwang IY, Park YM. Relationship among sense of humor, self-esteem, and performance in Nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2011; 21(1): 10-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.10. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.10
- Yang NY, Han SS, You IJ. Affecting factors on performance of preceptors and preceptees. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2005; 11(2): 135-41.
- Sin HJ. The study on the job related stress and the sense of humor of nurses[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul, 1999.
- Lee HK. Impact of the empowerment of dental personnels. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(2): 297-310.
- Ahn KS. A study on knowledge and compliance among dental personnels in dental implants. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2007; 7(4): 481-93.
- Lee HK, Kim MJ, Yim YS. Dental hygienist, the relationship between empowerment and organizational commitment. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(4): 645-54.
- The relationship between vocational calling and ethical inclination in clinical dental hygienists vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.813
- Influence of humor sense on job satisfaction and turnover intention in clinical dental hygienists vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.821