- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the effect of oral health education by grade in some elementary school students
일부 초등학생의 학년에 따른 구강보건교육 효과 비교
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.04.03
- Published : 2014.04.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of oral health education conducted by a dental hygienist in order to provide some information on intensive oral health education to elementary school students. Methods : Subjects were the students of J and M elementary schools in Seoul from October 28 to November 16, 2011. Oral health education was provided by a dental hygienist, and then they took the PHP test again to verify the effect of the oral health education. Results : Concerning changes in PHP scores after the oral health education, the scores of the students dropped from 2.34 in the pretest to 1.85 in the posttest(p<.001). As to changes in PHP scores by grade after the oral health education, the third graders and sixth graders got 2.40 and 1.36, respectively. Regarding satisfaction level with the oral health education, they got 4.07 out of five points. Among the items of satisfaction with the oral health education by grade, there were significant gaps in a change of toothbrushing method(p<.001) and a change of dietary control(p<.001) by grade. Conclusions : The finding of the study showed that both the third and sixth graders had less score in the PHP test and credibility to the effectiveness of the oral health education by the dental hygienist.
dental hygienist;elementary school students;oral health education;PHP
- Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Orgawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ 2005; 83(9): 661-9.
- Chang KW, Hwang YS, Kim JB, Song YS, Paik DI, Choi BK, et al. Oral health education. 4th ed. Seoul: KMS; 2007: 19, 41-2, 119, 188-90.
- Oh YB, Lee HS, Kim SN. Children's dental health behavior in relation to their mothers Socioeconomic factors and dental health beliefs. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1994; 18(1): 62-83.
- Song GB, Choi YH, Hong SJ, Kim JB. Dental caries prevalence in relation to socioeconomic factors and dental health behaviors among Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003; 27(2): 319-28.
- Psoter WJ, Pendrys DG, Morse DE, Zhang H, Mayne ST. Associations of ethnicity race and socioeconomic status with early childhood caries patterns. J Public Health Dent 2006; 66(1): 23-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2006.tb02547.x
- Shin SJ, Ahn YS, Jung SH. The relation between dental health behaviors and socioeconomic status among korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(2): 223-30.
- Thomson WM, Poulton R, Milne BJ, Caspi A, Broughton JR, Ayers KM. Socioeconomic inequalities in oral health in childhood and adulthood in a birth cohort. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2004; 32(5): 345-53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00173.x
- Kim GD. Dental IQ and oral health care status in elementary school students[Master's thesis]. Gimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2003.
- Ryu K, Jhung SH, Kim JY, Choi YH, Song KB. Effect of mothers' oral health behaviour and knowledge on dental caries in their preschool children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004; 28(1): 105-15.
- Choi YH, Suh I, Kwon HK, Ji SH. Children's dental health status in relation to their mother's oral health knowledge and practices. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1999; 23(1): 45-61.
- Yoon SJ, Shin SC, Kim KH. A study on appraisal for school oral health education. Korean J Health Educ Promot 1993; 10(2): 32-9.
- Chambers DW. Patients susceptibility limits to the effectiveness of preventive oral education. J American Dent Assoc 1977; 95(6): 1159-63. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1977.0212
- Ahn JK, Kim JB. An experimental study on the effects of the toothbrushing instructional methods. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1985; 9(1): 125-33.
- Son HH, Kim JB. A study on the toothbrushing behaviour in the primary school children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1988; 12(1): 127-34.
- Kay EJ, Locker D. Is dental health education effective? a systematic review of current evidence. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996; 24(4): 231-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1996.tb00850.x
- Kim JB, Baek DI, Chang KW. Oral health education. Seoul: KMS; 1986: 91.
- Song KH, Kim HJ. A study on the effect of oral health education by PHP on elementary school students. J Korean Acad Dent hyg 2011; 13(1): 37-46.
- Han SJ. Effects of oral health promotion program of children with low socio-economic status: an application of the theory of planned behavior(TPB)[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of HanYang, 2009.
- Yoo JS. Development and application of health life practice program for oral health promotion of primary school children[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of HanYang, 2009.
- Kim JB, Choi YJ. Public oral health. Seoul: KMS; 1993: 190-212.
- Jeon HJ, Song KB, Lee SK. The improvement of knowledge and management capability of oral health according to the oral health education system for elementary school student. J Korean Soc School Health 1999; 12(2): 296-303.
- Chang KW, Kim JB. An experimental study on the effects of the toothbrushing instructional methods. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1987; 11(1): 85-97.
- Lee HK, Park CS, Kim MJ. Interrelation research of the knowledge regarding the oral health of the elementary school child and behavior. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(3): 155-61.
- Ahn YS, Jang JH, Lee YS. The effect of an oral health program by B school dental clinic in Anyang city. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(4): 375-80.
- Jeong HJ, Kim HJ, Lee MK, Yoon HS, Oh SH, Lee JH. Oral health knowledge and practice of elementary school students in school dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(6): 1047-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1047. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1047
- Han JH, Hwang JM. Comparison of the oral health awareness of students in schools with and without dental clinic in the city of Gwacheon. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(1): 29-34.
- Kim YI. The oral health knowledge and behavior of elementary school students in Jenju. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(1): 49-57.
- Development and evaluation of oral health education program using computer assisted instruction for elementary school children vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.417
- Relationship between health behavior and oral symptoms in Korean adolescents vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.813
- Oral health-related behaviors of some elementary school students by installation of toothbrushing facility vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.585
Supported by : 경동대학교