- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The effect of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers
청소년의 구강보건행태가 치주조직 상태에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.02.18
- Accepted : 2014.04.03
- Published : 2014.04.30
Objectives : This study aims to improve health and the quality of life of teenagers by identifying an association between the periodontal status and oral health behaviors of Korean teenagers using 2010 Korean National Oral Health Survey data. Methods : Subjects were teenagers aged from 12 to 15 in Korean National Oral Health Survey (KNOHS). The questionnaire consisted of periodontal status, general characteristics, periodontal related factors, and oral health related behaviors. Results : Gingival bleeding was found in 56.9% of teenagers because unhealthy periodontal status and tartars were found. Those who were 15 years old had unhealthier periodontal status than those who aged 12 years old. Those who lived in rural areas tended to have worse periodontal status than those who lived in the big cities. Access to dental floss, mouth rinsing solution and regular dental checkup tended to make the healthier periodontal status. Smokers had the worse periodontal status than the nonsmokers. Conclusions : The oral health care in the teenagers aged from 12 to 15 is very important because the permanent dentition is completed in this stage. It is necessary to lay emphasis on the oral health improvement and dental caries prevention program to the teenagers.
Korean National Oral Health Survey (KNOHS);oral health behaviors;periodontal status;teenagers
- Jung MH, Park MY. A Study on the oral healthcare condition of adult in public health and their knowledge about oral health. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007; 7(2): 73-9.
- Sasahaea H, Kawamura M, Kawabata K, Iwamoto Y. Relationship between mother's gingival condition and caries experience of their 3-year-old children. Int J Paeefiatr Dent 1998; 8(4): 261-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-263x.1998.00091.x. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-263x.1998.00091.x
- Oral Health Policy Research Group. The development of oral health programs in public health center. Seoul: The Korean Dental Association for Healthy Society; 2001.
- Tsami A, Pepelassi E, Gizani S, Komboli M, Papaglanoulis L, Mantzavines Z. Oral hygiene and periodontal treatment needs in young people with special needs attending a special school in Greece. J Disabil Oral Health 2004; 5(2): 57-64.
- Cassolato SF, Trunbull RS. Xerostomia clinical aspects and treatment. Gerodontology 2003; 20(2): 64-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2003.00064.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2003.00064.x
- Jeon HJ, Song KB, Lee SK. The improvement of knowledge and management capability of oral health according to the oral health education system for elementary school students. J Korean Soc School Health 1999; 12(2): 295-303.
- Lim KO, Choi JH. Survey on oral health behavior and knowledge of middle school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(2): 241-8.
- Jang JH, Kim SH. The relationship of health risk behavior, depression and dental caries experience in 12-year-old adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2007; 31(4): 593-601.
- Tada A, Hanada N. Sexual differences in smoking behaviour and dental caries experience in young adults. Public health 2002; 116(6): 341-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ph.1900869. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ph.1900869
- Hong MH, Kim YS. A study on periodontal disease awareness and periodontal health status among industrial workers. J Korea Cont Assoc 2009; 9(6): 216-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.6.216. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.6.216
- Kim SS, Jang JH. Dental health types in middle school students and their effects on dental caries - focusing on 0 middle school students in Suwon. J Korean Soc School Health 2000; 13(2): 283-93.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Korean national oral health survey 2010. lst ed. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2010.
- Shenoy RP, Sequeira PS. Effectiveness of a school dental education program in improving oral knowledge and oral hygiene practices and status of 12 to 13-year-old school children. Indian J Dent Res 2010; 21(2): 253-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.66652. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.66652
- Ryu DY, Song KS. Bae SM, A study on awareness and practice about the oral health of workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(6): 1071-81.
- Touger-Decker R, Van Loveren C. Suger and dental caries. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78(4): 881-92.
- Demirer S, Gursoy UK, Ozdemir H, Erdemir EO, Uitto VJ. Periodontal health knowledge and smoking are associated with periodontal treatment need according to tooth brushing levels. West Indian Med J 2012; 61(2): 191-7.
- Han GS, Kim YS, Kang JK, Hwang YS, Han DH, Bae KH.Relation of smoking and periodontal status among 30s-50sadults in metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2008;32(2): 250-60.
- Kim GU, Min KJ. The impact of oral health impact profile(OHIP) level on degree of patients' knowledge about dental hygiene. J Korea Acad Indusr Coop Soc 2009; 10(4): 717-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.4.717. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.4.717
- Han JY. The study in terms of factors having effects on continued oral health management of high school students. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010; 12(3): 263-74.
- Kim JH. The effect of oral health on total health and quality of life : Surveyed against some of youngnam area residents [Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Keimyung, 2007.
- Chung SY. Jeong SH, Bin SO, Choi YH, Song KB, Comparison of periodontal condition by residential areas in Korean adult population: KNOHS 2000. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 34(4); 516-24.
- Han DH, Kim JB. The association between smoking and periodontitis: findings from the korean national oral health survey 2006. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2009; 33(4): 634-43.
- Lee SJ, Jang JH. The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 817-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.817. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.817
- Song JH, Ban SH, Kim JB, Ahn JH, Kim JC, Ha WH, et al. Preventive dentisty: antibacterial effect of some mouth rinsing solution in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2007; 31(4): 482-8.
- Correlation between health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases in adolescents vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.513
- Relations between oral health status and subjective oral health recognition in Korean adolescents vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.593
- Oral care status and periodontal disease of middle aged diabetic patients vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.1
- Related factors of preventive behavior experiences toward dental caries and periodontal disease in Korean adolescents vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.417
- Effect of health behavior on periodontal disease of adolescents vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.617
- Related factors of scaling experience in multi-cultural adolescents vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.669
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are associated with dental caries experience in Korean adolescents: the 2010 ~ 2014 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys vol.51, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.4.287
- Effects of Adolescent and Oral Health-Related Characteristics on Dental Caries vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.101