- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Load Dispatching Control of Multiple-Parallel-Converters Rectifier to Maximize Conversion Efficiency
- Orihara, Dai (Dept. of Electrical Engineering. Tohoku University) ;
- Saitoh, Hiroumi (Dept. of Electrical Engineering. Tohoku University) ;
- Higuchi, Yuji (NTT Energy and Environment Systems Laboratories) ;
- Babasaki, Tadatoshi (NTT Energy and Environment Systems Laboratories)
- Received : 2014.01.16
- Accepted : 2014.03.14
- Published : 2014.05.01
In the context of increasing electric energy consumption in a data center, energy efficiency improvement is strongly emphasized. In a data center, electric energy is largely consumed by DC power supply system, which is based on a rectifier composed by multiple parallel converters. Therefore, rectifier efficiency must be improved for minimizing loss of DC power supply system. Rectifier efficiency can be modulated by load allocation to converters because converter efficiency depends on input AC power. In this paper, we propose a new control method to maximize rectifier efficiency. The method can control load allocation to converters by introducing active power converter control scheme and start-and-stop of converters. In order to illustrate optimal load allocations in a rectifier, a maximization problem of rectifier efficiency is formulated as a nonlinear optimization one. The problem is solved by Lagrangian relaxation method and the computation results provide the validity of proposed method.
Data center;DC power supply;Energy efficiency;Load allocation;Parallel converters
- Jonathan G. Koomy: "Growth in Data Center Electricity use 2005 to 2010", Analytics Press (2011).
- Akiyoshi Fukui, Takashi Takeda, Keiichi Hirose, and Mikio Yamasaki : "HVDC Power Distribution Systems for Telecom Sites and Data Centers", Proc. of IEEE IPEC 2010, pp.874-880 (2010).
- IBM : "Server Virtualization"
- Kunikazu Tsuda, Shunichi Tano, Junko Ichino, "Lower Data Center Power Consumption through Use of the Climate Characteristics of Cold Regions and Interregional Energy Integration", Proc. of IEEE PIC 2010, pp.1298-1304 (2010).
- Dai Orihara, Hiroumi Saitoh, Yuji Higuchi and Tadatoshi Babasaki," A Study on Efficiency Maximization of DC Power Supply System by Using Active Power Control," IEICE Technical Report, Vol. 112, No.396, pp. 135-140, Jan.2013. (in Japanese)
- Akira Matsumoto, Akiyoshi Fukui, Takashi Takeda, Keiichi Hirose and Mikio Yamasaki, "Development of 400 Vdc Power Distribution System and 400 Vdc Output Rectifier," Proc. of IEEE INTELEC 2009, pp. 1-5, 2009.
- Symantec: "State of the Data Center - Global Second Annual Report 2008", pp.10-11.