- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Investigating the Impacts of Different Price-Based Demand Response Programs on Home Load Management
- Rastegar, Mohammad ;
- Fotuhi-Firuzabad, Mahmud ;
- Choi, Jaeseok
- Received : 2014.01.15
- Accepted : 2014.03.14
- Published : 2014.05.01
Application of residential demand response (DR) programs are currently realized up to a limited extent due to customers' difficulty in manually responding to the time-differentiated prices. As a solution, this paper proposes an automatic home load management (HLM) framework to achieve the household minimum payment as well as meet the operational constraints to provide customer's comfort. The projected HLM method controls on/off statuses of responsive appliances and the charging/discharging periods of plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and battery storage at home. This paper also studies the impacts of different time-varying tariffs, i.e., time of use (TOU), real time pricing (RTP), and inclining block rate (IBR), on the home load management (HLM). The study is effectuated in a smart home with electrical appliances, a PHEV, and a storage system. The simulation results are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed HLM program. Peak of household load demand along with the customer payment costs are reported as the consequence of applying different pricings models in HLM.
Demand response;Home load management;Time-differentiated pricing;Payment cost
- MH. Albadi and EF. El-Saadany, "Demand response in electricity markets: an overview", presented at IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Gen. Meeting, 2007.
- M. Rastegar, M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, F. Aminifar, "Load Commitment in a Smart Home", Journal of Applied Energy, Vol. 96, pp. 45-54, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.01.056
- K. Clement-Nyns, E. Haesen, and J. Driesen, "The Impact of Charging Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles on a Residential Distribution Grid", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 25, pp. 371-380, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2036481
- S. Vazquez, S. M. Lukic, E. Galvan, L. G. Franquelo, and J. M. Carrasco, "Energy storage systems for transport and grid applications", IEEE Trans. Indus. Electronics, vol. 57, pp. 3881-3895, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2076414
- A. H. Mohsenian-Rad and A. Leon-Garcia, "Optimal residential load control with price prediction in realtime electricity pricing environment," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 1, pp. 120-133, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2055903
- P. Du and N. Lu, "Appliance Commitment for Household Load Scheduling," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 2, pp. 411-419, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2140344
- Time of use tariff rates for BGE, Available at: http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteshared/tou_rates.asp.
- A. H. Mohsenian-Rad, V. W. S. Wong, J. Jatskevich, R. Schober, and A. Leon-Garcia, "Autonomous Demand-Side Management Based on Game-Theoretic Energy Consumption Scheduling for the Future Smart Grid," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 320-331, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2089069
- M. Ch. Bozchalui, et al, "Optimal Operation of Residential Energy Hubs in Smart Grids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1755-1766, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2212032
- US Department of Energy. Benefits of Demand Response in Electricity Markets and Recommendations for Achieving Them. Report to the United States Congress, Feb. 2006. http://eetd.lbl.gov.
- C. Gellings and J. Chamberlin, Demand Side Management: Concepts and Methods, the Fairmont Press Inc, Lilburn, 1988.
- Y. Tang, H. Song, F. Hu, and Y. Zou, "Investigating on TOU pricing principles", in Proc. IEEE PES Trans. Dist. Conf. Expos., Dalian, China, 2005.
- S. Borenstein, Equity effects of increasing-block electricity pricing Center for the Study of Energy Markets, Working Paper 180, Nov. 2008.
- A. H. Mohsenian-Rad, V. Wong, J. Jatskevich, and R. Schober, "Optimal and autonomous incentive-based energy consumption scheduling algorithm for smart grid," presented at the IEEE PES Conf. Innov. Smart Grid Technol., Gaithersburg, MD, Jan. 2010.
- P. Reiss and M. White, "Household electricity demand, revisited," Rev. Econ. Studies, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 853- 883, July 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/0034-6527.00354
- Online Available at: http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteshared/tou_rates.asp?sid=ic&Chart=SUMMER#chart
- Young Gyu Jin, Tae-Seop Choi, Sung Chan Park, and Yong Tae Yoon, "The Design of an Optimal Demand Response Controller Under Real Time Electricity Pricing" Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 436-445, May 2013. (http://dx.doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3. 436) https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.436
- Demand Response Unit Commitment Problem Solution for Maximizing Generating Companies’ Profit vol.10, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10101465
- Comparison of different discharge strategies of grid-connected residential PV systems with energy storage in perspective of optimal battery energy storage system sizing vol.75, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.046