- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Effective Control Scheme of a Back-to-Back Converter with Shunt-Connected HTS SMES for Frequency Regulation of an Islanded Microgrid
- Dinh, Minh-Chau ;
- Park, Minwon ;
- Kim, Gyeong-Hun ;
- Yu, In-Keun
- Received : 2014.02.12
- Accepted : 2014.03.07
- Published : 2014.05.01
High temperature superconducting magnetic energy storage (HTS SMES) is known as an effective solution to significantly decrease the voltage and power fluctuations of grid connected wind power generation system (WPGS). This paper implements an effective control scheme of a back-toback converter with shunt-connected HTS SMES for the frequency regulation of an islanded microgrid. The back-to-back converter is used to connect the WPGS to the grid. A large-scale HTS SMES is linked to the DC side of the back-to-back converter through a two-quadrant DC/DC chopper. An adaptive control strategy is implemented for the back-to-back converter and the two-quadrant DC/DC chopper to improve the efficiency of the whole system. The performance of the proposed control system was evaluated in a test power system using PSCAD/EMTDC. The simulation results clearly show that the back-to-back converter with shunt-connected HTS SMES operates effectively with the proposed control strategy for stabilizing the power system frequency fluctuations.
Energy storage system;HTS SMES;Islanded microgrid;Wind power generation system
- Mohd. Hasan Ali, Bin Wu, and Roger A. Dougal, "An overview of SMES application in power and energy systems," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy,Vol. 1, No. 1, April 2010.
- B. Bladberg et al., "Power electronics as efficient interface in dispersed power generation systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 19, pp. 1184-1194, Sept. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833453
- R.D. Fernandez, P.E. Battaiotto, R.J. Mantz, "Wind farm non-linear control for damping electromechanical oscillations of power systems," Renew. Energy, 33 (2008), pp. 2258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2008.01.004
- Narchi Linn, Yushi Miura, and Toshifumi, "Power system stabilization control by HVDC with SMES using virtual synchronous generator," IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 102-110, March 27, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejjia.1.102
- M. Stephen et al., "Power quality solutions for semiconductor tools," Power Quality Assurance, pp. 24-31, May/June 2010.
- H. Y. Yung et al., "A study on the operating characteristics of SMES for the dispersed power generation system," IEEE. Trans. Applied Superconductivity, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 2028-2031, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2009.2018495
- B. Ferdi, C. Benachaiba, S. Dib, R. Dehini, "Adaptive PI control of dynamic voltage restorer using fuzzy logic," Journal of Electrical Engineering: Theory and Application, Vol. 1, pp. 165-173, 2010.
- M. Rukonuzzaman, M. Nakaoka, "Fuzzy logic current controller for three-phase voltage source PWMinverters," Industry Application Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 1163-1169, 2000.
- Ahmet Teke, M. Emin Meral, Lutfu Sarubulut and Mehmet Tumay, "Implementation of fuzzy logic controller using Fortran language in PSCAD/ EMTDC," International Journal of Electrical Engi-neering, Vol. 48, Issue 4, pp. 372, Oct 2011. https://doi.org/10.7227/IJEEE.48.4.3
- A-Rong Kim et al., "Operating characteristic analysis of HTS SMES for frequency stabilization of dispersed power Generation System," IEEE Trans. Applie. Supercond, Vol. 20, pp. 1334-138, June 2012.
- Thanh Hai Nguyen and Dong-Choon Lee, "Ridethrough technique for PMSG wind turbines using energy storage system," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, November 2010.
- G. H. Kim, A. R. Kim, S. Kim, M. Park, I. K. Yu, K. C. Seong, and Y.J. Won, "A novel HTS SMES application in combination with a permanent magnet synchronous generator type wind power generation system," Physica C: Superconductivity, vol. 471, issues 21-22, pp. 1413-1418, November 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physc.2011.05.206
- Marwan Rosyadi, S. M. Muyeen, Rion Takahashi, and Junji Tamura, "Fuzzy logic controlled voltage source converter in grid connected application via LCL filter," Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 21-24 Oct. 2012.
- Steady State Analysis for Power System of HSR with Active Transformer vol.11, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.1.257