- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Autonomous Micro-grid Design for Supplying Electricity in Carbon-Free Island
- Hwang, Woo-Hyun ;
- Kim, Sang-Kyu ;
- Lee, Jung-Ho ;
- Chae, Woo-Kyu ;
- Lee, Je-Ho ;
- Lee, Hyun-Jun ;
- Kim, Jae-Eon
- Received : 2014.02.06
- Accepted : 2014.03.07
- Published : 2014.05.01
In island and backcountry areas, electrical power is usually supplied by diesel generators. It is difficult for small scale diesel generators to have an economy of scale owing to the usage of fossil fuels to produce electricity. Also, there is a problem of carbon dioxide emissions that brings some environmental pollution to the entire region of the area. For solving those, this paper proposes a design method of autonomous micro-grid to minimize the fossil fuels of diesel generator, which is composed of diesel generator, wind turbine, battery energy storage system and photovoltaic generation system. The proposed method was verified through computer simulation and micro-grid operation system.
Micro-grid;Hybrid generation;Autonomous operation;Photovoltaic generator;Wind turbine;Diesel generator;Carbon-Free Island
- Frede Blaabjerg, Fellow, Remus Teodorescu, "Overview of Control and Grid Synchronization for Distributed Power Generation Systems", IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 5, Oct. 2006.
- Zhe Chen, Josep M. Guerrero, Frede Blaabjerg, "A Review of the State of the Art of Power Electronics for Wind Turbines", IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 24, No. 8, Aug. 2009.
- F. Blaabjerg, F. Iov, T. Kerekes, R. Teodorescu, "Trends in Power Electronics and Control of Renewable Energy Systems", 14th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, EPEPEMC 2010.
- Serim Heo et. al., "Simulation Analysis of a Renewable Energy Based Micro-grid using RTDS", KIEE Tans. Vol. 60, No. 12, December 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2011.60.12.2190
- Eun-Sik Choi, Heung-Kwan Choi, Jin-Hong Jeon and Jong-Bo Ahn, "A Study on Simulation of Dynamic Characteristic in Prototype Micro-grid", KIEE Tans. Vol. 59, No. 12, December 2010.
- L H Hansen et al, "Conceptual Survey of Generators and Power Electronics for Wind Turbines", Technical Report, Riso National Lab., Denmark, 2001
- S. Drouilhet and M. Shirazi, Wales, Alaska High- Penetration Wind-Diesel Hybrid Power System, NREL, NREL / TP-500-31755, May 2002.
- Billy Muhando, Katherine Keith, Per Lundsager, Best Practices in Implementation of Wind-Diesel System, Alaska Center for Energy and Power, 2011.
- Mukhtiar Singh and Ambrish Chandra, "Control of PMSG Based Variable Speed Wind-Battery Hybrid System in an Isolated Network", IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-6, July 2009.
- Xiangjun Li et al, "Control Strategy of Battery State of Charge for Wind/Battery Hybrid Power System", IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 2723-2726, July 2010.
- F. Katiraei, and M. R. Iravani, "Power Management Strategies for a Microgrid with Multiple Distributed Generation Units", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 1821-1831, Nov. 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.879260
- Jae Eon Kim, "Modeling of Hybrid Generation System with Wind Turbine and Diesel Generator", Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 4, April 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.4.1806
- Energy management system for stable operation of isolated microgrid vol.2017, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/oap-cired.2017.0288
- Decentralised Active Power Control Strategy for Real-Time Power Balance in an Isolated Microgrid with an Energy Storage System and Diesel Generators vol.12, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12030511