- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Operation Planning of Reserve in Microgrid Considering Market Participation and Energy Storage System
- Lee, Si Young (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Jin, Young Gyu (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Sun Kyo (KEPCO Economy and Management Research Institute) ;
- Yoon, Yong Tae (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.11.25
- Accepted : 2014.03.07
- Published : 2014.05.01
Innumerable microgrids would be operated independently by individual operators in a future smart grid. This kind of decentralized power system requires entirely different operation scheme in the actual power system and electricity market operation. Especially, frequency regulation is very important for successive energy trade in this multi-microgrid circumstance. This paper presents an optimal energy and reserve market participation strategy and operation strategy of energy storage system (ESS) by a microgrid operator (MGO). For definite evaluation of the proposed strategy, we postulate that the MGO should participate in the Power Exchange for Frequency Control (PXFC) market, which was devised by Maria Ilic and her coworkers and is suitable to the decentralized operation circumstances. In particular, optimal reserve capacity of the frequency control market and optimal market participation ratio of ESS between frequency control market and energy market are derived theoretically and evaluated by simulations utilizing Nordic Pool Elspot price data.
Ancillary service market;Decentralized operation;Electricity market deregulation;Energy storage system;Multi-microgrid operation
- Smith, J.C, et al., "Utility Wind Integration and Operation Impact State of the Art," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 22, issue 3, pp.900-908, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.901598
- W. T. Jewell, R. Ramakumar, and S.R. Hill, "A study of dispersed photovoltaic generation on the PSO system," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 437-478, September 1998.
- E. J. Coster, J. M. A. Myrzik, B. Kruimer, and W. L. Kling, "Integration Issues of Distributed Generation in Distribution Grids," in Proceeding of the IEEE, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 28-39.
- A. Dimeas and N. D. Hatziagyriou, "A Multiagent system for Micro-grids," in Proceeding of the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Denver, US, June, 2004.
- R. H. Lasseter, and P. Piagi, "MicroGrid: a conceptual solution," PESC 2004.
- R. H. Lasseter, "Micro Grids," IEEE Power Engineering Society,2002.
- Farid Katiraei, et al., Microgrids MAnagement: IEEE power and energy magzine, 2008, p.54-65.
- Yanyi He, Sharma, R., and Xianjun Zhang, "Microgrid operator's capacity and storage investment strategies under environmental regulations," in IEEE Power Engineering Society innovative Smart Grid Technologies, Columbia, US, January 2012.
- Jin. Y.G., Lee, S.Y., Kim, S.W., Yoon, Y.T., "Designing Rule for Price-Based Operation With Reliability Enhancement by Reducing the Frequency Deviation," IEEE Transactions on Power System, vol. 28, Issue. 4, pp. 4365-4372.
- Barton, J.P, and Infield, D.G., "Energy storage and its use with intermittent renewable energy," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 19, Issue. 2, pp. 441-448, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.822305
- M. Ilic, P. Skantze, C.N. Yu, L. Fink, and J. Cardell, "Power Exchange for Frequency Control (PXFC)," in Power Engineering Society 1999 Winter Meeting, IEEE, New York City, US, January 1999.
- J.V. Seguro, and T.W. Lambert, "Modern estimation of the parameters of the Weibull wind speed distribution for wind energy analysis," Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 85, Issue 1, pp. 75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00122-1
- Fink, L., "New control paradigms for deregulation," in Electric Power Systems Restructuring: Engineering and Economics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998, pp. 405-450.
- Ilic, M., Yu, C-N., "Minimal system regulation and its value in a changing industry," in Proceeding of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications, Dearborn, MI, September 1996.
- Lee. S.Y., Kim, S.K., Jin, Y.G., and Yoon, Y.T., "Optimal Operation Strategy of Energy Storage System by Microgrid Operator Considering Market Participation," in International Smart Grid Conference & Exhibition, Jeju, Korea, July 2013, pp. 12-17.
- Weihao Hu, Zhe Chen, and Bak-Jensen, B., "Optimal operation strategy of battery energy storage system to real-time electricity price in Denmark," in IEEE Power and Energy