- Volume 9 Issue 3
By combining a wind turbine with an energy storage system (ESS), we are able to attenuate the intermittent wind power characteristic making the power derived from a wind farm dispatchable. This paper evaluates the influence of the phase delay of the low-pass filter in the conventional smoothing power control on the ESS capacity; longer phase delays require a larger ESS capacity. In order to eliminate the effect of the phase delay, we optimize the power dispatch using a zero-phase low-pass filter that results in a non-delayed response in the power dispatch. The proposed power dispatching method significantly minimizes the ESS capacity. In addition, the zero-phase low-pass filter, which is a symmetrical forward-reverse finite impulse response type, is designed simply with a small number of coefficients. Therefore, the proposed dispatching method is not only optimal, but can also be feasibly applied to real wind farms. The efficacy of the proposed dispatching method is verified by integrating a 3 MW wind turbine into the grid using wind data measured on Jeju Island.
Wind energy conversion systems (WECS);Energy storage system (ESS);Wind power dispatching methods;Zero-phase low-pass filter
- Renewables 2012 Global Status Report [Online]: http:// www.map.ren21.net/GSR/GSR2012_low.pdf.
- R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and P. Rodriguez, "Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems," John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- S. Teleke,M. E. Baran, S. Bhattacharya, and A. Q. Huang, "Rule-Based Control of Battery Energy Storage for Dispatching Intermittent Renewable Sources," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 117-124, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2061880
- C. Luo and B. T. Ooi, "Frequency Deviation of Thermal Power Plants due to Wind Farms," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 708-716, Sept. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874210
- J. K. Lyu, M. K. Kim, and J. K. Park, "Impacts of Wind Power Integration on Generation Dispatch in Power Systems," J. Electr. Eng. Technol., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 238-243, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.2.238
- T. Senjyu, R. Sakamoto, N. Urasaki, T. Funabashi, H. Fujita, and H. Sekine, "Output Power Leveling of Wind Turbine Generator for all Operating Regions by Pitch Angle Control," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 467-475, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874253
- D. L. Yao, S. S. Choi, K. J. Tseng, T. T. Lie, "Determination of Short-Term Power Dispatch Schedule for a Wind Farm Incorporated with Dual-Battery Energy Storage Scheme," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 74-84, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2163092
- X. Y. Wang, D. V. Mahinda, and S. S. Choi, "Determination of Battery Storage Capacity in Energy Buffer for Wind Farm," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 868-878, Sept. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.921556
- S. Teleke, M. E. Baran, S. Bhattacharya, and A. Q. Huang, "Optimal Control of Battery Energy Storage for Wind Farm Dispatching," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 787-794, Sept. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2041550
- K. W. Wee, S. S. Choi, and D. M. Vilathgamuwa, "Design of a Least-Cost Battery-Supercapacitor Energy Storage System for Realizing Dispatchable Wind Power," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 786-796, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2013.2248029
- Q. Li, S. S. Choi, Y. Yuan, and D. L. Yao, "On the Determination of Battery Energy Storage Capacity and Short-Term Power Dispatch of a Wind Farm," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 148-158, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2095434
- Q. Jiang and H. Wang, "Two-Time-Scale Coordination Control for a Battery Energy Storage System to Mitigate Wind Power Fluctuations," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 52-61, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2226463
- C. L. Nguyen, T. W. Chun, and H. H. Lee, "Determination of the Optimal Battery Capacity Based on a Life Time Cost Function in Wind Farm," Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2013 IEEE, CO. USA, pp. 51-58, Sept. 2013
- K. Yoshimoto, T. Nanahara, and G. Koshimizu, "New Control Method for Regulating State-of-Charge of a Battery in Hybrid Wind Power/Battery Energy Storage System," IEEE PES Power Systems Conf. and Expo., pp. 1244-1251, Oct.29-Nov.1 2006.
- C.L. Nguyen, H.J. Kim, T.S. Lee, and H.H. Lee, "An Effective Dispatching Power Control to Minimize Energy Storage System in Wind Farm," International Smart Grid Conference & Exhibition 2013, Jeju, Korea, pp. 600-606, Jul. 2013.
- Q. Jiang, Y. Gong, and H. Wang, "A Battery Energy Storage System Dual-Layer Control Strategy for Mitigating Wind Farm Fluctuations," IEEE Trans. Power Sys., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 3263-3273, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2244925
- M. A. Tankari, M. B. Camara, B. Dakyo, and C. Nichita, "Wind Power Integration in Hybrid Power System Active Energy Management," 2009 Ecol. Vehicle & Renew. Energy Conf., pp. 1-6, Mar. 2009.
- H. Li, and Z. Chen, "Overview of Different Wind Generator Systems and Their Comparisons," IET Renew. Power Generation, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 123-138, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg:20070044
- J. N. Baker and A. Collinson, "Electrical Energy Storage at the Turn of the Millennium," Inst. Elect. Eng. Power Eng. J., vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 107-112, Jun. 1999.
- P. Pinson and H. Madsen, "Probabilistic Forecasting of Wind Power at the Minute Time-Scale with Markov-Switching Autoregressive Models," Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, PMAPS'08, pp. 1-8, May 2008.
- Chi Tsong Chen, "Digital Signal Processing- Spectral Computation and Filter Design," Oxford Univ. Press, chap. 7, pp. 294-313, 2001.
- H. V. Brussel, C. H. Chen, and J. Swevers, "Accurate Motion Controller Design Based on an Extended Pole Placement Method and a Disturbance Observer," Ann. CIRP, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 367-772, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)62233-1
- C.J. Kempf and S.Kobayashi, "Disturbance Observer and Feed-Forward Design for a High-Speed Disk-Drive Positioning Table," IEEE Trans. Contr. Sys. Tech., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 513-525, Sept. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.784416
- V112-3.0MW [Online]. Available: http://creativeenergyalternatives.com/wind/Vestas_V_112_web_100309.pdf.
- S. Heier, "Grid Integration of Wind Energy Conversion Systems," John Wiley & Sons. pp. 45, 2nd Edition, 2006.
- Effective power dispatch capability decision method for a wind-battery hybrid power system vol.10, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0078
- An Empirical Study on the Application of Lead-Acid Batteries to ESSs and Performance Improvement Methods vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1295
- Power Management Approach to Minimize Battery Capacity in Wind Energy Conversion Systems vol.53, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2017.2703143
- Maximum Power Point Tracking and Output Power Control on Pressure Coupling Wind Energy Conversion System vol.65, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2733424
- A Novel Dual-Battery Energy Storage System for Wind Power Applications vol.63, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2570721
- Feasibility Analysis of Behind-the-Meter Energy Storage System According to Public Policy on an Electricity Charge Discount Program vol.11, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/su11010186