- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cyber Threat and a Mitigation Method for the Power Systems in the Smart Grid
- Kim, Myongsoo (Distribution Lab., Korea Electric Power Co. Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Younghyun (Distribution Lab., Korea Electric Power Co. Research Institute) ;
- Jeon, Kyungseok (Distribution Lab., Korea Electric Power Co. Research Institute)
- Received : 2013.08.08
- Accepted : 2013.12.30
- Published : 2014.05.01
Obsolescent control systems for power systems are evolving into intelligent systems and connecting with smart devices to give intelligence to the power systems. As networks of the control system are growing, vulnerability is also increasing. The communication network of distribution areas in the power system connects closely to vulnerable environments. Many cyber-attacks have been founded in the power system, and they could be more critical as the power system becomes more intelligent. From these environment, new communication network architecture and mitigation method against cyber-attacks are needed. Availability and Fault Tree analysis used to show that the proposed system enhances performance of current control systems.
Cyber attack;Smart grid;Network architecture;Availability;Fault tree;Self-healing;Isolation
- James Andrew Lewis, "The electrical Grid as a Target for Cyber attack", Center for Strategic and International Studies, March 2010.
- Very Large Power Grid Operators, "EMS Architectures for the 21st Century", 2005 Very Large Power Grid Operators International Working Group #2.
- Cyber Security Working Group, "Guidelines for Smart Grid Cyber Security: Vol. 1, Smart Grid Cyber Security Strategy, Architecture, and High-Level Requirements", NISTIR 7628, NIST, U.S.A., Aug., 2010.
- National Communications System, "Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems", Technical Information Bulletin, NCS TIB 04-1, Oct. 2004
- Siobhan Gorman, "Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated by Spies", The Wall Street Journal, Page A1, April 8, 2009.
- Stephen McLaughlin, Dmitry Podkuiko, Sergei Miadzvezhanka, Adam Delozier and Patrick McDaniel, "Multi-vendor Penetration Testing in the Advanced Metering Infrastructure", Annual Computer Security Applications Conference 2010, Dec. 2010, Austin, Texas, USA
- Yilin Mo, Bruno Sinopoli, "False Data Injection Attacks in Control Systems", SCS 2010 : First Workshop on Secure Control Systems, April 2010.
- Y. Liu, M. K. Reiter, and P. Ning, "False data injection attacks against state estimation in electric power grids," Proceedings of the 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, 2009.
- William J. Broad, John Markoff and David E. Sanger, "Israeli Test on Worm Called Crucial in Iran Nuclear Delay", New York Times, Jan., 2011, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/world/middleeast/16stuxnet.html
- Symantec, "W32.Stuxnet Dossier", version 1.4, Feb 2011
- Bruce Schneier, "Attack Trees", Oct. 1999
- ICS-CERT, "ADVISORY ICSA-10-272-01-PRIMARY STUXNET INDICATORS", September 2010 from http://www.us-cert.gov/control_systems/pdf/ICSA-10-272-01.pdf
- Eric Byres, Andrew Ginster, Joel Langill, "How Stuxnet spreads-A Study of Infection Paths in Best Practice Systems", white paper ver 1.0, Feb., 2011.
- Motorola, "SCADA system", white paper, 2007
- N.H. Roberts, W.E.Vesely, D.F. Haasl and F.F. Goldberg, "Fault Tree Handbook", NUREG-0429m U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC, 1981.
- G. W. Scheer, D. J. Dolezilek, "Selecting, Designing, and Installing Modern Data Networks in Electrical Substations," Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Western Power Delivery and Automation Conference, Spokane, WA, April 2007.
- M. Gugerty, R. Jenkins, and D. J. Dolezilek, "Case Study Comparison of Serial and Ethernet Digital Communications Technologies for Transfer of Relay Quantities," in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Western Protective Relay Conference, Spokane, WA, October 2006.
- http:// www.dynamicdemand.co.uk
- Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer as Optimization of Time Dial Settings for Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relay vol.14, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00039-z