- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Junction Temperature Prediction of IGBT Power Module Based on BP Neural Network
- Wu, Junke (State Key Laboratory of Power Transmission Equipment and System Security and New Technology, Chongqing University) ;
- Zhou, Luowei (State Key Laboratory of Power Transmission Equipment and System Security and New Technology, Chongqing University) ;
- Du, Xiong (State Key Laboratory of Power Transmission Equipment and System Security and New Technology, Chongqing University) ;
- Sun, Pengju (State Key Laboratory of Power Transmission Equipment and System Security and New Technology, Chongqing University)
- Received : 2013.08.14
- Accepted : 2013.12.13
- Published : 2014.05.01
In this paper, the artificial neural network is used to predict the junction temperature of the IGBT power module, by measuring the temperature sensitive electrical parameters (TSEP) of the module. An experiment circuit is built to measure saturation voltage drop and collector current under different temperature. In order to solve the nonlinear problem of TSEP approach as a junction temperature evaluation method, a Back Propagation (BP) neural network prediction model is established by using the Matlab. With the advantages of non-contact, high sensitivity, and without package open, the proposed method is also potentially promising for on-line junction temperature measurement. The Matlab simulation results show that BP neural network gives a more accuracy results, compared with the method of polynomial fitting.
IGBT;Junction temperature prediction;BP neural network;Saturation voltage drop;Collector current
- Yang S, Bryant A, Mawby P, Xiang D, Ran L. and Tavner P. "An industry-based survey of reliability in power electronic converters," IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 3:1441-1451, May-June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2124436
- Riccardo Pittini, Salvatore D'Arco, Magnar Hernes, Astrid Petterteig, "Thermal Stress Analysis of IGBT Modules in VSCs for PMSG in Large Offshore Wind Energy Conversion Systems," Proc. of the 14th European Conf. on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2011), Birmingham, UK, pp. 1-10, Aug.-Sept. 2011.
- Bing Ji, Volker Pickert, Wenping Cao, Bashar Zahawi, "In-Situ Diagnostics and Prognostics of Wire Bonding Faults in IGBT Modules for Electric Vehicle Drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.28, no.12, pp. 5568-5577, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2251358
- Z Zhou, M S Kanniche, S G Butcup, P Igic, "Highspeed electro-thermal simulation model of inverter power modules for hybrid vehicles," IET Electric Power Application, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 636-643, Sept. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2011.0048
- Luowei Zhou, Junke Wu, Xiong Du, Zhengui Yang, Yajie Mao, "Status and Outlook of Power Converter's Reliability Research," Journal of Power Supply, issue.1, pp. 1-15, Jan. 2013.
- A. Hallouche, A. Tilmatine, "Thermal impact on the power device behaviour: application on the IGBT," Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 9-12, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4316/aece.2007.01002
- JP Bazzoa, T Lukasievicz, M Vogt, V Oliveira, HJ Kalinowski, JC Cardozo Silva, "Monitoring the junction temperature of an IGBT through direct measurement using a fiber Bragg grating," International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, Ottawa, Canada, pp.1-4, May 2011.
- Perpina X, Jorda X, Vellvehi M, Rebollo J, Mermet-Guyennet M, "Long-term reliability of railway power inverters cooled by heat pipe- based systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, issue. 58, pp. 2662-2672, July 2011．
- http://www.semikron.com/skcompub/en/index.htm, accessed April 2013.
- Wang Bo, Hu An, Tang Yong, "Junction temperature forecast and failure analysis of IGBT based on electro-thermal model," Electric Machines and Control, vol.16, no.8, pp.87-93, Aug. 2012.
- Wei Kexin, Du Mingxing, "Temperature prediction model of IGBT modules based on lumped parameters method," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 79-84, Dec. 2011.
- RJ Kerkman, L Wei, RA Lukaszewski, BP Brown, N Gollhardt, BW Weiss, "Junction temperature prediction method and apparatus for use in a power conversion module," US patent 8117008B2, Feb. 14, 2012.
- Run Hu, Zhangming Mao, Huai Zheng, et al, "A compact thermal model to predict the junction temperature of high power light emitting diode package," Conf. ECTC'2012, San Diego, California, USA, May, 2012.
- Ming Chen, An Hu, Xidang Yang, "Predicting IGBT junction temperature with thermal network component model," Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), Wuhan, China, March 2011.
- M. M. R. Ahmed, G. A. Putrus, "A method for predicting IGBT junction temperature under transient condition," Proc. 34th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics (IECON 2008), Orlando, Florida, USA, Nov.2008.
- U. Scheuermann, R. Schmidt, "Investigations on the VCE(T) -Method to Determine the Junction Temperature by Using the Chip Itself as Sensor," Intelligent Motion and Power Quality (PCIM 2009) Europe, Nuremberg, Germany, pp.1-3, May 2009.
- Dupont L, Avenas Y, Jeannin P, "Comparison of junction temperature evaluations in a power IGBT module using an IR camera and three thermo-sensitive electrical parameters," IEEE Twenty-Seventh Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Orlando, Florida, USA, Feb. 2012.
- Y Avenas, L Dupont, "Evaluation of IGBT thermosensitive electrical parameters under different dissipation conditions-comparison with infrared measurements," Microelectronics Reliability, issue. 52, pp. 2617-2626, Nov. 2012.
- Kuhn H, Mertens A, "On-line Junction Temperature Measurement of IGBTs based on Temperature Sensitive Electrical Parameters," 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2009), Barcelona, Spanish, Sept. 2009.
- Avenas Y, Dupont L, Khatir Z, "Temperature Measurement of Power Semiconductor Devices by Thermo-Sensitive Electrical Parameters-A Review," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 3081-3092, June 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2178433
- Zhuxian Xu, Wang F, Puqi Ning, "Junction temperature measurement of IGBTs using short circuit current," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 2012), Raleigh, USA, Sept.2012.
- Vinod Kumar Khanna, The insulated gate bipolar transistor (igbt): theory and design: New York, ieee press, 2003, pp.230-23.
- Xuehui Tao, Huanting Chen, Si Nan Li, S Y Ron Hui, "A new noncontact method for the prediction of both internal thermal resistance and junction temperature of white light-emitting diodes," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no.4, pp. 2184-2192, April 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2169461
- Zhi Xiao, Shi-Jie Ye, Bo Zhong, Cai-Xin Sun, "BP neural network with rough set for short term load forecasting," Expert Systems with Applications, issue 36, pp. 273-279, Jan. 2009.
- Chengcai Ma, Xiaodong Gu, Yuanyuan Wang, "Fault diagnosis of power electronic system based on fault gradation and neural network group," Neurocomputing, vol. 72, no. 13-15, pp. 2909-2914, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2008.06.033
- Prediction Technology of Power Transmission and Transformation Project Cost Based on the Decomposition-Integration vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/651878
- Condition Monitoring: A Decade of Proposed Techniques vol.9, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2015.2481564
- Remaining Useful Life Estimation of Insulated Gate Biploar Transistors (IGBTs) Based on a Novel Volterra k-Nearest Neighbor Optimally Pruned Extreme Learning Machine (VKOPP) Model Using Degradation Data vol.17, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/s17112524
- A Technique for Mitigating Thermal Stress and Extending Life Cycle of Power Electronic Converters Used for Wind Turbines vol.4, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics4040947