- Volume 9 Issue 3
In the design of the rotor of an interior permanent magnet synchronous motor (IPMSM), the bridge between the permanent magnets helps prevent the scattering of permanent magnets and pole pieces during high-speed operation. In the design of a motor, if the bridge is too thick, its performance will be largely degraded because of flux leakage. Additionally, if the bridge is too thin, its mechanical safety cannot be guaranteed. Thus, an accurate analysis method is required to determine the thickness of the bridge. Conventional stress analysis methods determine the thickness of the bridge by only considering the centrifugal force of the rotors. In this study, however, a method that additionally considers the radial force generated by the air-gap flux density based on the conventional methods is proposed and reflected in the design of a traction motor for electric vehicles. Finally, the validity of this study is verified through a reliability test related to high-speed operation.
IPMSM;Radial force;Stress analysis
- Sulaiman, E., Kosaka, T., Matsui, N., "High Power Density Design of 6-Slot - 8-Pole Hybrid Excitation Flux Switching Machine for Hybrid Electric Vehicles," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 47, pp. 4453-4456, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2140315
- Zhang Lei, Wen Xuhui, Zhang Jian, Wang Youlong, "Research of high power-density permanent magnet synchronous motor and driving system," Electric Information and Control Engineering (ICEICE), pp. 6052-6055, 2011.
- Jae-Woo Jung, Byeong-Hwa Lee, Do-Jin Kim, Jung- Pyo Hong, Jae-Young Kim, Seong-Min Jeon, Do- Hoon Song, "Mechanical Stress Reduction of Rotor Core of Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 48, pp. 911-914, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2172582
- Zhu, Z.Q., Xia, Z.P., Wu, L.J., Jewell, G.W., "Analytical Modeling and Finite-Element Computation of Radial Vibration Force in Fractional-Slot Permanent-Magnet Brushless Machines," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 46, pp. 1908-1918, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2058078
- Cameron, D.E., Lang, J.H., Umans, S.D., "The origin and reduction of acoustic noise in doubly salient variable-reluctance motors," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 28, pp. 1250-1255, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.175275
- Guandong Jiao, Rahn, C.D., "Field weakening for radial force reduction in brushless permanent-magnet DC motors," Magnetics, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 40, pp. 3286-3292, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2004.832989
- Krotsch, J., Ley, T., Piepenbreier, B., "Reduction of torque and radial force fluctuation in permanent magnet synchronous motors by means of multiobjective optimization," Electric Drives Production Conference (EDPC), pp. 40-48, 2011.
- Anwar, M.N., Husain, O., "Radial force calculation and acoustic noise prediction in switched reluctance machines," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on., Vol. 36, pp. 1589-1597, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.887210
- Feng-Chieh Lin, Sheng-Ming Yang, "Modeling and Control of Radial Force in Switched Reluctance Motor," Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 1-7, 2006.
- Optimal Design Strategy for Improved Operation of IPM BLDC Motors With Low-Resolution Hall Sensors vol.64, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2716908