- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Thermal Analysis of IPMSM with Water Cooling Jacket for Railway Vehicles
- Park, Chan-Bae (Railroad Propulsion System Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2013.09.24
- Accepted : 2013.11.28
- Published : 2014.05.01
In this paper, the water cooling method among the forced coolant cooling methods is considered to be applied to the 110kW-class IPMSM for railway vehicles. First, basic thermal property analysis of the IPMSM is conducted using the three-dimensional thermal equivalent network method. Then, based on the results of the basic thermal property analysis, some design requirements for the water cooling jacket are deduced and a basic design of the water cooling jacket is carried out. Finally, thermal equivalent circuit of the water cooling jacket is attached to the IPMSM's 3D thermal equivalent network and then, the basic thermal and effectiveness analysis are conducted for the case of applying the water cooling jacket to the IPMSM. In the future, the thermal variation trends inside the IPMSM by the application of the water cooling jacket is expected to be quickly and easily predicted even at the design step of the railway traction motor.
Interior permanent magnet synchronous motor;IPMSM;Water cooling jacket;Thermal analysis;Thermal equivalent network
- A. F. Armor, and M. V. K. Chari, "Heat flow in the stator core of large turbine-generators by the method of three dimensional Finite Elements (Part II: Temperature distribution in the stator iron)," IEEE Transactions on PAS, PAS-95(5), pp. 1657-1668, 1976.
- Y. Bayazitoglu and M. N. Ozisik, "Element of Heat Transfer." New York : McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- C. B Park, H.W. Lee, B. S. Lee, "A Study on the Reduction of the Stator Iron Loss on Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor for light Railway Transit Propulsion System," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 376-380, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.4.376
- C. B Park, H.W. Lee, B. S. Lee, "Investigation of a thermal analysis method for IPMSM in railway vehicles," Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 99-103, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.2.099
- C. B. Park, "A Study on the Thermal Characteristics of 110kW-class IPMSM for Light Railway Transit using the 3-Dimensional Thermal Equivalent Network considering Heat Source by Iron Loss Density Distributions," The transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 62, No. 7, pp. 1038-1044, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.7.1038
- F. Kreith and M.S. Bohn, "Principles of Heat Transfer: 5th edition," St. Paul, MN : West Publishing, 1993.
- T. Jokinen and J. Saari, "Modeling of the coolant flow with heat flow controlled temperature sources in thermal networks," IEE Proceeding of Electrical Power Applications, Vol.144, No.5, 1997.
- J.H. Choi, S.M. Jang, C. Han, J.H. Ahn, K.H. Sim, "Electromagnetic loss and thermal analysis on high speed PM motor for turbo compressor," KIEE Summer Conference 2012, pp. 618-619, 2012.
- J. Driesen, R. J. M. Belmans, and K. Hameyer, "Finite-element modeling of thermal contact resistances and insulation layers in electrical machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 15-20, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.903121
- Batchelor, G. K., "An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics," Cambridge University Press, 1967.
- The Equilibrium Design of Radial Magnetic Force for Reduction of Vibration in IPM type BLDC Motor vol.11, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.2.377
- Design criteria for water cooled systems of induction machines vol.114, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.12.031
- Wafter design for totally enclosed electric machines vol.129, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.10.011