- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of On-Resistance Characteristics Using Charge Balance Analysis Modulation in a Trench Filling Super Junction MOSFET
- Geum, Jongmin ;
- Jung, Eun Sik ;
- Kim, Yong Tae ;
- Kang, Ey Goo ;
- Sung, Man Young
- Received : 2013.04.26
- Accepted : 2013.09.29
- Published : 2014.05.01
In Super Junction (SJ) MOSFETs, charge balance is the most important issue of the SJ fabrication process. In order to achieve the best electrical characteristics, such as breakdown voltage and on-resistance, the N-type and P-type drift regions must be fully depleted when the drain bias approaches the breakdown voltage, which is known as the charge balance condition. In conventional charge balance analysis, based on multi-epi process SJ MOSFETs, analytical model has only N, P pillar width and doping concentration parameter. But applying a conventional charge balance principle to trench filling process, easier than Multi-epi process, is impossible due to the missing of the trench angle parameter. To achieve much more superior characteristics of on-resistance in trench filling SJ MOFET, the appropriate trench angle is necessary. So in this paper, modulated charge balance analysis is proposed, in which a trench angle parameter is added. The proposed method is validated using the TCAD simulation tool.
Super junction MOSFET;Trench filling;Trench angle;Charge balance
- H. W. Lee, E. S. Jung, R. Oh, and M. Y. Sung, "Study on Design of 60V TDMOSFET for protection circuit Module", J.KIEEME, vol.25, No.5, pp.340-344
- Fujihira, T., "Simulated superior performances of semiconductor superjunction devices", Proc. of the ISPSD'98, Kyoto, 1998, pp. 423-426
- S. S. Kyoung, J. S. Lee, S. H. Kwak, E. G. Kang and M. Y. Sung, "A Novel Trench IGBT with a Deep P+ Layer beneath the Trench Emitter", IEEE Electron Device, vol.30, No.1, pp.82-84
- J. S. Lee, E. G. Kang, and M. Y. Sung, "Improvement of electrical characteristics of vertical NPT trench gate IGBT using trench emitter electrode", J.KIEEME, vol.2, no.5, pp.403, 2007
- J. S. Lee, E. G. Kang, and M.Y. Sung, "Shielding region effects on a trench gate IGBT", Microelectron. J., vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 57-62, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2007.10.023
- H. Ninomiya, Y. Miura and K Kobayashi, "Ultra-low On-resistance 60-100 V Superjunction UMOSFETs Fabricated by multiple Ion-Implantation", Proc. ISPSD, pp.177-180, 2004
- Pravin N. Kondekar, "Static Off state and Conduction State Charge Imbalance in the Superjunction Power MOSFET", TENCON Vol. 4(2003), pp.1455-1458
- T.Minato, T.Nitta, A.Uenisi, M.Yanao, M.Harada and S. Hine,"Which is cooler, Trench or Multi-Epitaxy?" Proc. ISPSD2000(2000), pp73.
- S. Iwamoto, K. Takahashi, H. Kuribayashi, S. Wakimoto, K. Mochizuki, and H. Nakazawa, "Above 500V Class Superjunction MOSFETs fabricated by deep trench etching and epitaxial growth", Proceedings. ISPSD'05. The 17th International Symposium on, pp. 31-34.
- Unbalanced Layout Method for the 4H-SiC JBS Diode Offering Improved Tradeoff between Leakage Current and ON-Resistance vol.37, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/LED.2016.2584659