- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Power Curve of a Wind Generator Suitable for a Low Wind Speed Site to Achieve a High Capacity Factor
- Yoon, Gihwan ;
- Lee, Hyewon ;
- Lee, Sang Ho ;
- Hur, Don ;
- Cheol, Yong
- Received : 2014.01.15
- Accepted : 2014.02.04
- Published : 2014.05.01
It is well known that energy generated by a wind generator (WG) depends on the wind resources at the installation site. In other words, a WG installed in a high wind speed area can produce more energy than that in a low wind speed area. However, a WG installed at a low wind site can produce a similar amount of energy to that produced by a WG installed at a high wind site if the WG is designed with a rated wind speed corresponding to the mean wind speed of the site. In this paper, we investigated the power curve of a WG suitable for Korea's southwestern coast with a low mean wind speed to achieve a high capacity factor (CF). We collected the power curves of the 11 WGs of the 6 WG manufacturers. The probability density function of the wind speed on Korea's southwestern coast was modeled using the Weibull distribution. The annual energy production by the WG was calculated and then the CFs of all of the WGs were estimated and compared. The results indicated that the WG installed on the Korea's southwestern coast could obtain a CF higher than 40 % if it was designed with the lower rated speed corresponding to the mean wind speed at the installation site.
Capacity factor;Weibull distribution;Mean wind speed;Power curve;and Wind generator
- New & Renewable energy white paper 2012, Korea New and Renewable Energy Center, Jan. 2013.
- Yearbook of Energy Statistics 2012, Korea energy economics institute, Dec. 2013.
- The 6th basic plan of electricity supply and demand, Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Feb. 2013.
- Global wind report: annual market update 2012, Global Wind Energy Council, Apr. 2013.
- B. S. Hwang and Y. Y. Nam, "Status of Korea and World Wind Energy Wind Industry", Korea Society of Fluid Power & Construction Equipment, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 33-39, March 2011.
- The Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE) report, "Master plan for 2.5GW Offshore Project", Nov. 2010.
- Wind turbines-part 1: design requirements, IEC 61400-1, 2005.
- M. E. Lee, G. W. Kim, S. T. Jeong, D. H. Ko, and K. S. Kang, "Assessment of offshore wind energy at Younggwang in Korea", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 21, pp. 131-141, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.12.059
- S. H. Jangamshetti and V. G. Rau, "Site matching of wind turbine generators: A case study," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1537-1543, Dec. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.815102
- W. Yichun and D. Ming, "Optimal Choice of Wind Turbine Generator Based on Monte-Carlo Method", DRPT 2008, April 2008.
- J. K. Woo, B. M. Kim, I. S. Paek, N. S. Yoo, and Y. S. Nam, "Investigation on selecting optimal wind turbines in the capacity factor point of view", Journal of the Korean solar energy society, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 60-66, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2011.31.5.060
- T. Ackermann, Wind Power in Power System, 2nd Edition, England, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2012.
- United power, UP77 and UP82. [online]. Available: http://www.gdupc.com.cn/english/tabid/386/SourceId/1058/InfoID/827/language/zh-CN/Default.aspx
- REpower Systems, MM100. [online]. Available: http://www.repower.de/wind-power-solutions/windturbines/mm100/
- Siemens Energy, SWT-3.6-107. [online]. Available: http://www.energy.siemens.com/mx/en/renewableenergy/wind-power/wind-turbines/swt-3-6-107.htm
- Vestas, V112 3.0MW. [online]. Available: http://www.vestas.com/en/wind-power-plants/procurement/turbine-overview/v112-3.0-mw-offshore.aspx#/vestas-univers
- Vestas, V164 8.0MW. [online]. Available: http://www.vestas.com/en/wind-power-plants/procurement/turbine-overview/v164-8.0-mw-offshore.aspx#/vestas-univers
- REpower Systems, 5M. [online]. Available: http://www.repower.de/wind-power-solutions/windturbines/5m/
- REpower Systems, 6M. [online]. Available: http://www.repower.de/wind-power-solutions/windturbines/6m/
- SUZLON, S9X. [online]. Available:http://www.suzlon.com/products/l3.aspx?l1=2&l2=44&l3=128
- ENERCON, ENERCON product overview. [online]. Available: http://www.enercon.de/en-en/88.htm
- Coordinated control for low voltage ride-through of a PMSG-based wind power plant vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/22348972.2016.1251533
- Intelligence algorithm for optimization design of the low wind speed airfoil for wind turbine pp.1573-7543, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-1635-4
- Numerical investigation of the load reduction potential of trailing edge flap based on closed-loop control vol.10, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5043448