- Volume 9 Issue 3
The proposed technical work attempts to compare the two key technologies of power distribution, i.e. direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC) in a fiscal manner. The DC versus AC debate has been around since the earliest days of electric power. Here, at least four types of a low voltage DC (LVDC) distribution are examined as an alternative to the existing medium voltage AC (MVAC) distribution with an economic assessment technique for a project investment. Besides, the sensitivity analysis will be incorporated in the overall economic analysis model to cover uncertainties of the input data. A detailed feasibility study indicates that many of the common benefits claimed for an LVDC distribution will continue to grow more profoundly as it is foreseen to arise with the increased integration of renewable energy sources and the proliferation of energy storage associated with the enhanced utilization of uninterruptible power supply (UPS) systems.
Cost minimization;Discounted Cash Flow (DCF);Low voltage DC (LVDC) distribution;Medium voltage AC (MVAC) distribution;Net present value (NPV);Sensitivity analysis
- EPRI, Electricity Technology Roadmap: Meeting the Critical Challenges of the 21st Century, 2003 Summary and Synthesis, 2003, p. 4-4.
- C. Sulzberger, "Triumph of ac - from Pearl Street to Niagara," IEEE Power Energy Mag., vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 64-67, May/June 2003.
- D. J. Hammerstrom, "AC Versus DC Distribution Systems - Did We Get it Right?," in Proceedings of IEEE PES GM2007 Conference, Tampa, FL, USA, June 2007.
- D. Nilsson, DC Distribution Systems, Thesis for the degree of Licentiate of Eng., Dept. of Energy and Environment, Chalmers Univ. of Tech., Goteborg, Sweden, 2005, pp.4-8.
- P. Salonen, T. Kaipia, P. Nuutinen, P. Peltoniemi, and J. Partanen, "An LVDC Distribution System Concept," in Proceedings of Nordic Workshop on Power and Industrial Electronics (NORPIE 2008), Espoo, Finland, June 2008.
- T. Kaipia, P. Peltoniemi, J. Lassila, P. Salonen, and J. Partanen, "Impact of Power Electronics on Reliability of Electricity Distribution," in Proceedings of Nordic Distribution and Asset Management Conference (NORDAC 2008), Bergen, Norway, September 2008.
- M. R. Starke, L. M. Tolbert, and B. Ozpineci, "AC vs. DC Distribution: A Loss Comparison," in Proceedings of IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exhibition (T&D 2008), Chicago, IL, USA, April 2008.
- H. Kakigano, M. Nomura, and T. Ise, "Loss Evaluation of DC Distribution for Residential Houses Compared with AC System," in Proceedings of 2010 International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC 2010), Sapporo, Japan, June 2010.
- H. Pang, E. Lo, and B. Pong, "DC Electrical Distribution Systems in Buildings," in Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Power Electronics Systems and Applications (ICPESA 2006), Hong Kong, November 2006.
- A. Sannino, G. Postiglione, and M. H. J. Bollen, "Feasibility of a DC Network for Commercial Facilities," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1499-1507, Sept.-Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.816517
- W. Li, Probabilistic Transmission System Planning, 1st edn., IEEE, Piscataway: NJ, USA, 2011.
- D. Hur, "Economic Considerations Underlying the Adoption of HVDC and HVAC for the Connection of an Offshore Wind Farm in Korea," Journal Elec. Eng. Tech., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 157-162, March 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.2.157
- Korea Electric Power Research Institute, DC distribution network design and technology development strategy (Final report), May 2011.
- Economic Analysis of Power Transmission Lines using Interval Mathematics vol.10, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1471
- Studying grounding arrangements of the LVDC system through simulation 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549717752069
- Economic considerations underlying the introduction of capacity mechanism in Korean offshore wind farms vol.26, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.2129