- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Investigation of the structural performance of a masonry domed mosque by experimental tests and numerical analysis
- Seker, Burcin S. (Merzifon Vocational School, Amasya University) ;
- Cakir, Ferit (Department of Architectural, Amasya University) ;
- Dogangun, Adem (Department of Civil Engineering, Uludag University) ;
- Uysal, Habib (Department of Civil Engineering, Ataturk University)
- Received : 2013.03.30
- Accepted : 2013.12.27
- Published : 2014.04.30
Historical masonry mosques are the most important structures of Islamic societies. To estimate the static and dynamic behavior of these historical structures, an examination of their restoration studies is very important. In this study, Kara Mustafa Pasha Mosque, which was built as a domed mosque by Kara Mustafa Pasha between 1666-1667 in Amasya, Turkey, has been analyzed. This study investigates the structural behavior and architectural features of the mosque. In order to determine specific mechanical properties, compression and three-point bending tests were conducted on materials, which have similar age and show similar properties as the examined mosque. Additionally, a three-dimensional finite element model of the mosque was developed and the structural responses were investigated through static and dynamic analyses. The results of the analyses were focused on the stresses and displacements. The experimental test results indicate that the construction materials have greatly retained their mechanical properties over the centuries. The obtained maximum compression and tensile stresses from the analyses have been determined as smaller than the materials' strengths. However, the stresses calculated from dynamic analysis might cause structural problems in terms of tensile stresses.
masonry mosque;finite element model;experimental tests;static analysis;time history analysis
- Bayraktar, A., Coskun, N. and Yalcin, A. (2007), "Damages of masonry buildings during the July 2, 2004 Dogubayazit (Agri) earthquake in Turkey", Eng. Failure Anal., 14(1), 147-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2005.11.011
- AFAD (2013), Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry, Disaster and Emergency Management Precidency,Earthquake Department, http://www.deprem.gov.tr/SarbisEng/Shared/Anasayfa.aspx, 04.02.2013.
- Aras, F., Krstevska, L., Altay, G. and Taskov, L. (2011), "Experimental and numerical modal analyses of a historical masonry palace", Constr. Build. Mater., 25(1), 81-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.054
- Betti, M. and Vignoli, A. (2008), "Modelling and analysis of a Romanesque church under earthquake loading: assessment of seismic resistance", Eng. Struct., 30(2008), 352-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.03.027
- Cakir, F. (2011), "Assessment of structural integrity and seismic retrofit of masonry bridges using micropiles", Master's Thesis, Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, Graduate College of the Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA.
- Camlibel, N. (1998), "The analytically investigate of architect Sinan's structures", Associate Professorship Thesis, Graduate School of Natural And Applied Sciences, Istanbul Technical University, 1998, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Cancelliere, I., Imbimbo, M. and Sacco, E. (2010), "Experimental tests and numerical modeling of reinforced masonry arches", Eng. Struct., 32, 776-792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.005
- FEA program (2012), 14.0 Release, ANSYS finite element analysis program, USA.
- Cerkez, M. (2005), "Turkish period architectural works in Merzifon", PhD Thesis, Social Sciences Institute, Ankara University, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Dogangun, A., Acar, R., Sezen, H. and Livaoglu, R. (2008), "Investigation of dynamic response of masonry minaret structure", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 6, 505-517. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-008-9066-5
- Dogangun, A. and Sezen, H. (2012), "Seismic vulnerability and preservation of historical masonry monumental structures", Earthq. Struct., 3(1), 83-95. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.1.083
- Gunaydin, S. (2005), "The investigation of the relationships between texture coefficient concept and physico-mechanical properties of rocks", Master's Thesis, Mining Engineering, Suleyman Demirel University , Isparta, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Karaesmen, E. (2008), "Variations on the themes about Sinan", TMMOB, Insaat Muhendisleri Odasi Yayinlari, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Krestevska, K., Taskov, L.J. and Gramatikov, K. (2007), "Experimental and numerical investigations on the Mustafa Pasa mosque large scale model", Workshop COST C26, 30-31 March 2007, Prague.
- Kiyono, J. and Kalantari A. (2004), "Collapse mechanism of adobe and masonry structures during the 2003 Iran Bam earthquake", Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo, 79, 157-161.
- Kurugol, S. and Tekin, C. (2010), "Evaluation of physical, chemical and mechanical characteristics of bricks used in castle structures of Byzantine period", J. Fac. Eng. Arch. Gazi Univ., 25(4), 767-777. (in Turkish)
- Landolfo, R., Portioli, F., Mammana, O. and Mazzolani, F.M. (2007), "Finite element and limit analysis of the large scale model of Mustafa Pasha Mosque in Skopje, strengthened with FRP", Proc. of the First Asia-Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures APFIS 2007, Hong Kong, 12-14 December 2007, 1, 283-288.
- Lourenco, P.B. (2002), "Computations on historic masonry structures", Struct. Eng. Mater., 4(3), 301-319. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.120
- Menc, H. (2000), Amasya: throughout history, First Edition, Net Ofset Publishing, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Meyer, P.K. (2006), "The impact of high frequency/low energy seismic waves on unreinforced masonry", M.Sc. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Camtower, USA.
- Seker, B.S. (2011), "Investigation of behaviour of architect Sinan's mosques under static and dynamic loads", PhD Thesis, Graduate School of Natural And Applied Sciences, Karadeniz Technical University, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Milani, G. (2013), "Lesson learned after the Emilia-Romagna, Italy, 20-29 May 2012 earthquakes: a limit analysis insight on three masonry churches", Eng. Failure Anal.(in press)
- NEMC (2012), National Earthquake Monitoring Center, Bogazici University Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Turkey, http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr/sismo/Depremler/tLarge2.htm, 30.10.2012.
- Oliveira, C.S., Cakti, E., Stengel, D. and Branco, M. (2012), "Minaret behavior under earthquake loading: the case of historical Istanbul", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41,19-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1115
- TEC (2007), Turkish Earthquake Code, Specification for structures to be built in disaster areas, Ministry of Environment and Urbanization of Turkey.
- Tercan, A.E., Unver, B., Tiryaki, B., Ozbilgin, D., (2005), "A study of relationships among mechanical, index and petrographic properties of some sandstones using canonical correlation analysis", Madencilik, 44(1), 3-14. (in Turkish)
- TS 699 (2009), Methods of testing for natural building stones, Turkish Building Code, Turkish Standards Institution, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- TS EN 1467 (2012), Natural stone - rough blocks - specifications, Turkish Building Code, Turkish Standards Institution, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- TS EN 1469 (2004 ), Natural stone products - slabs for cladding - requirements, Turkish Building Code, Turkish Standards Institution, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Toker, S. and Unay, A.I. (2004), "Mathematical modeling and finite element analysis of masonry arch bridges", Gazi Univ. J. Sci., 17(2), 129-139.
- Ural, A., Dogangun, A., Sezen, H. and Angin, S. (2012), "Seismic performance of masonry buildings during the 2007 Bala, Turkey earthquakes", Natural Hazards, 60(3), 1013-1026. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-011-9887-4
- Uysal, H. and Cakir, F. (2013), "Static and dynamic analyses of the historical Erzurum watchtower", TAC Foundation, Foundation for the Preservation of Turkish Monuments an Environmental, Issue 1, 72-80.
- Votsis, R.A., Kyriakides, N., Chrysostomou, C.Z., Tantele, E. and Demetriou, T. (2012), "Ambient vibration testing of two masonry monuments in Cyprus", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 43, 58-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.07.015
- Structural performance of renovated masonry low bridge in Amasya, Turkey vol.8, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.6.1387
- Earthquake response of heavily damaged historical masonry mosques after restoration vol.17, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-17-1811-2017
- Influence of modified intended use on the seismic behavior of historical himis structures vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.4.893
- An Investigation of the Seismic Behaviour of an Ancient Masonry Bastion Using Non-Destructive and Numerical Methods vol.57, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-016-0239-x
- Seismic performance evaluation of slender masonry towers: a case study vol.25, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1235
- Experimental modal analysis of brick masonry arches strengthened prepreg composites vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2014.06.003
- Seismic vulnerability of masonry Jack arch slabs vol.77, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2017.02.008
- Window opening effects on structural behavior of historical masonry Fatih Mosque pp.1558-3066, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2018.1447617