- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Energy and Ileal Digestible Amino Acid Concentrations for Growing Pigs and Performance of Weanling Pigs Fed Fermented or Conventional Soybean Meal
- Wang, Y. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Lu, W.Q. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, D.F. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Liu, X.T. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, H.L. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Niu, S. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, X.S. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2013.09.28
- Accepted : 2014.01.16
- Published : 2014.05.01
A new strategy of co-inoculating Bacillus subtilis MA139 with Streptococcus thermophilus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae was used to produce fermented soybean meal (FSBM). Three experiments were conducted to determine the concentration of digestible energy (DE) and metabolizable energy (ME) (Exp. 1), apparent ileal digestibility (AID) and standardized ileal digestibility (SID) of amino acids (AA) (Exp. 2), and feeding value (Exp. 3) of FSBM produced by this new strategy (NFSB) compared with soybean meal (SBM) and conventionally available FSBM (Suprotein). In Exp. 1, twenty-four barrows (initial body weight [BW] of
- Adeola, O. 2001. Digestion and balance techniques in pigs. In: Swine Nutrition (Ed. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern). CRC Press, Washington, DC. pp. 903-916.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Cervantes-Pahm, S. K. and H. H. Stein. 2008. Effect of dietary soybean oil and soybean protein concentration on the concentration of digestible amino acids in soybean products fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1841-1849. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0721
- Cronwell, G. L. 2012. Soybean meal: An exceptional protein source. Soybean Meal INFOcenter. http://www.soymeal.org Accessed September 28, 2013.
- Cervantes-Pahm, S. K. and H. H. Stein. 2010. Ileal digestibility of amino acids in conventional, fermented, and enzyme-treated soybean meal and in soy protein isolate, fish meal, and casein fed to weanling pig. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2674-2683. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2677
- Chiang, G., W. Q. Lu, X. S. Piao, J. K. Hu, L. M. Gong, and P. A. Thacker. 2010. Effects of feeding solid-state fermented rapeseed meal on performance, nutrient digestibility, intestinal ecology and intestinal morphology of broiler chickens. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:263-271.
- Cranwell, P. D. 1985. The development of the stomach in the pig: The effect of age and weaning. I. Stomach size, muscle and zones of mucosa. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Seminar on Digestive Physiology in the Pig, Copenhagen, Denmark. pp. 112.
- Egounlety, M. and O. C. Aworh. 2003. Effect of soaking, dehulling, cooking and fermentation with Rhizopus oligosporus on the oligosaccharides, trypsin inhibitor, phytic acid and tannins of soybean (Glycine max Merr.), cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp) and groundbean (Macrotyloma geocarpa Harms). J. Food Eng. 56:249-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(02)00262-5
- Evans, R. J. and H. A. Butts. 1948. Studies on heat inactivation of lysine in soy bean oil meal. J. Biol. Chem. 175:15-20.
- Feng, J., X. Liu, Z. R. Xu, Y. P. Lu, and Y. Y. Liu. 2007. The effect of Aspergillus oryzae fermented soybean meal on growth performance, digestibility of dietary components and activities of intestinal enzymes in weaned piglets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 134:295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.10.004
- Frias, J., Y. S. Song, C. Martinez-Villaluenga, E. Gonzalez de Mejia, and C. Vidal-Valverde. 2008. Immunoreactivity and amino acid content of fermented soybean products. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56:99-105. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072177j
- Hong, K. J., C. H. Lee, and S. W. Kim. 2004. Aspergillus oryzae GB-107 fermentation improves nutritional quality of food soybeans and feed soybean meals. J. Med. Food 7:430-435. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2004.7.430
- Gilbert, E. R., E. A. Wong, and K. E. Webb Jr. 2008. Peptide absorption and utilization: Implications for animal nutrition and health. J. Anim. Sci. 86:2135-2155. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0826
- Goebel, K. P. and H. H. Stein. 2011. Phosphorus digestibility and energy concentration of enzyme-treated and conventional soybean meal fed to weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 89:764-772. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3253
- Guo, X. H., D. F. Li, W. Q. Lu, X. S. Piao, and X. L. Chen. 2006. Screening of Bacillus strains as potential probiotics and subsequent confirmation of the in vivo effectiveness of Bacillus subtilis MA139 in pigs. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 90:139-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-006-9067-9
- Hu, J. K., W. Q. Lu, C. L. Wang, R. H. Zhu, and J. Y. Qiao. 2008. Characteristics of solid-state fermented feed and its effects on performance and nutrient digestibility in growing-finishing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1635-1641. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.80032
- Kil, D. Y., L. G. Piao, H. F. Long, J. S. Lim, M. S. Yun, C. S. Kong, W. S. Ju, H. B. Lee, and Y. Y. Kim. 2006. Effects of organic or inorganic acid supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and white blood cell counts in weanling pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 19:252-261.
- Kim, B. G. and H. H. Stein. 2009. A spreadsheet program for making a balanced Latin square design. Rev. Colomb. Cienc. Pecu. 22:591-596.
- Kim, Y. G., J. D. Lohakare, J. H. Yun, S. Heo, and B. J. Chae. 2007. Effect of feeding levels of microbial fermented soy protein on the growth performance, nutrient digestibility and intestinal morphology in weaned piglets. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 20:399-404. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.399
- Li, D. F., J. L. Nelssen, P. G. Reddy, F. Blecha, J. D. Hancock, G. L. Allee, R. D. Goodband, and R. D. Klemm. 1990. Transient hypersensitivity to soybean meal in the early-weaned pig. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1790-1799.
- Kim S. W., E. van Heugten, F. Ji, C. H. Lee, and R. D. Mateo. 2010. Fermented soybean meal as a vegetable protein source for nursery pigs: I. Effects on growth performance of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 88:214-224. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1993
- Lalles, J. P., H. M. Tukur, R. Toullec, and B. G. Miller. 1996. Analytical criteria for predicting apparent digestibility of soybean protein in preruminant calves. J. Dairy Sci. 79:475-482. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76388-9
- Lenis, N. P., P. Bikker, J. van der Meulen, J. T. van Diepen, J. G. Bakker, and A. W. Jongbloed. 1996. Effects of dietary neutral detergent fiber on ileal digestibility and portal flux of nitrogen an amino acids and on nitrogen utilization in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2687-2699.
- Liu, X., J. Feng, Z. R. Xu, Y. P. Lu, and Y. Y. Liu. 2007. The effects of fermented soybean meal on growth performance and immune characteristics in weaned piglets. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 31:341-345.
- Ma, X., P. Sun, P. L. He, P. F. Han, J. J. Wang, S. Y. Qiao, and D. F. Li. 2010. Development of monoclonal antibodies and a competitive ELISA detection method for glycinin, an allergen in soybean. Food Chem. 121:546-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.12.045
- Noblet, J. and Y. Henry. 1993. Energy evaluation system for pig diets: A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 36:121-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(93)90147-A
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC. 2012. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 11th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
Qiao, J. Y., B. Dong, Y. H. Li, B. Zhang, and Y. H. Cao. 2009. Cloning of a
$\beta$-1,3-1,4-glucanase gene from Bacillus subtilis MA139 and its functional expression in Escherichia coli. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 152:334-342. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-008-8193-4
- Rojas, O. J. and H. H. Stein. 2013. Concentration of digestible, metabolizable, and net energy and digestibility of energy and nutrients in fermented soybean meal, conventional soybean meal, and fish meal fed to weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4397-4405. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6409
Qiao, J. Y., Z. H. Rao, B. Dong, and Y. H. Cao. 2010. Expression of Bacillus subtilis MA139
$\beta$-mannanase in Pichia pastoris and the enzyme characterization. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 160:1362-1370. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-009-8688-7
- Refstie, S., S. Sahlstrom, E. Brathen, G. Baeverfjorda, and P. Krogedal. 2005. Lactic acid fermentation eliminates indigestible carbohydrates and antinutritional factors in soybean meal for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 246:331-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.01.001
- Ren, P., Z. P. Zhu, B. Dong, J. J. Zang, and L. M. Gong. 2011. Determination of energy and amino acid digestibility in growing pigs fed corn distillers' dried grains with solubles containing different lipid levels. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 65:303-319. https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2011.588849
- Schagger, H. 2006. Tricine-SDS-PAGE. Nat. Protoc. 1:16-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2006.4
- Singhania, R. R., A. K. Patel, C. R. Soccol, and A. Pandey. 2009. Recent advances in solid-state fermentation. Biochem. Eng. J. 44:13-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2008.10.019
- Song, G. L., D. F. Li, X. S. Piao, F. Chi, and W. J. Yang. 2003. Apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids and the digestible and metabolizable energy content of high-oil corn varieties and its effects on growth performance of pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 57:297-306. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039420310001594432
- Stein, H. H., C. F. Shipley, and R. A. Easter. 1998. Technical note: A technique for inserting a T-cannula into the distal ileum of pregnant sows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1433-1436.
- Waldroup, P. W. 2012. Soybean meal: Demand. Soybean Meal INFOcenter. http://www.soymeal.org Accessed September 28, 2013.
- Stein, H. H., B. Seve, M. F. Fuller, P. J. Moughan, and C. F. M. de Lange. 2007. Invited review: Amino acid bioavailability and digestibility in pig feed ingredients: terminology and application. J. Anim. Sci. 85:172-180. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-742
- Urbaityte, R., R. Mosenthin, M. Eklund, H. Piepho, N. Sauer, and M. Rademacher. 2009. Standardised ileal crude protein and amino acid digestibilities in protein supplements for piglets. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 63:356- 378. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390903052631
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3568-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78549-4
- West, J. L. 2004. Modification of materials with bioactive peptides. In: Methods in Molecular Biology (Ed. A. P. Hollander and P. V. Hatton). Humana Press, Totowa. pp. 113-121.
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David, and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces sample by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Woodworth, J. C., M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband, J. L. Nelssen, P. R. O'Quinn, D. A. Knabe, and N. W. Said. 2001. Apparent ileal digestibility of amino acids and the digestible and metabolizable energy content of dry extruded-expelled soybean meal and its effects on growth performance of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1280-1287.
- Ying, W., R. Zhu, W. Lu, and L. Gong. 2009. A new strategy to apply Bacillus subtilis MA139 for the production of solid-state fermentation feed. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 49: 229-234. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2009.02647.x
You, J. M., D. F. Li, S. Y. Qiao, Z. R. Wang, P. L. He, D. Y. Ou, and B. Dong. 2008. Development of a monoclonal antibody-based competitive ELISA for detection of
$\beta$-conglycinin, an allergen from soybean. Food Chem. 106:352-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.05.040
- Yun, J. H., I. K. Kwon, J. D. Lohakare, J. Y. Choi, J. S. Yong, J. Zheng, W. T. Cho, and B. J. Chae. 2005. Comparative efficacy of plant and animal protein sources on the growth performance, nutrient digestibility, morphology, and caecal microbiology of early-weaned pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1285-1293. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1285
- Zhang, H. Y., J. Q. Yi, X. S. Piao, P. F. Li, Z. K. Zeng, D. Wang, L. Liu, G. Q. Wang, and X. Han. 2013. The metabolizable energy value, standardized ileal digestibility of amino acids in soybean meal, soy protein concentrate and fermented soybean meal, and the application of these products in early-weaned piglets. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:691-699. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12429
- Optimization of the Fermentation Conditions to Reduce Anti-Nutritive Factors in Soybean Meal vol.41, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13114
- Effects of dietary methionine on breast muscle growth, myogenic gene expression and IGF-I signaling in fast- and slow-growing broilers vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-02142-z
- Strain DKU_NT_03, Isolated from a Traditional Korean Food Using Soybean (Chung-gook-jang) for High-Quality Nattokinase Activity vol.6, pp.25, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00526-18