- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Pig Feeding under the Potato-green Forage Base System with or without Addition of Herbs versus a Concentrate Based System: Effect on Post-slaughter Performance and Pork Characteristics
- Turyk, Zofia (Institute of Bioengineering and Animal Breeding, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Natural Science and Humanities in Siedlce) ;
- Osek, Maria (Institute of Bioengineering and Animal Breeding, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Natural Science and Humanities in Siedlce) ;
- Olkowski, Boguslaw (Institute of Bioengineering and Animal Breeding, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Natural Science and Humanities in Siedlce) ;
- Janocha, Alina (Institute of Bioengineering and Animal Breeding, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Natural Science and Humanities in Siedlce)
- Received : 2012.10.03
- Accepted : 2014.01.08
- Published : 2014.05.01
This study examined carcass and meat quality parameters in growing/finishing pigs fed unconventionally versus the concentrate-based system. Ninety-six, 12 wk old pigs (
- Rybarczyk, A., R. Szaruga, and W. Natalczyk-Szymkowska. 2005. The level of intramuscular fat, depending on the characteristics and meat quality of fattening pigs hybrids after boars that were Pietrain breed. Annals of the Institute of Meat and Fat. 42/43:109-117.
- Simitzin, P. E., G. K. Symeon, M. A. Charismiadou, J. A. Bizelis, and S. G. Deligeorg. 2010. The effects of dietary oregano oil supplementation on pig meat characteristics. Meat Sci. 84:670-676. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.11.001
- Wang, Y., Y. J. Chen, J. H. Cho, J. S. Yoo, Q. Wang, Y. Huang, H. J. Kim, and I. H. Kim. 2007. performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. The effects of dietary herbs and coral mineral complex on growth J. Anim. Feed Sci. 16:397-340.
- Swiatkiewicz, M. and E. Hanczakowska. 2008. Effect of herbs mixture and enzymes supplementation of a grass silage diet for pigs on performance and meat quality. Medycyna Wet. 64:782-785.
- Turyk, Z., M. Osek, A. Janocha, and B. Olkowski. 2011. Feeding diets based on barley or triticale during fattening of high-meat PIC pigs: Effects on carcass characteristics and meat quality parameters. Acta Vet. Beograd. 61:67-75. https://doi.org/10.2298/AVB1101067T
- Wajda, S., T. Daszkiewicz, and K. Borzuta. 2004. The quality of pig meat from carcasses of different weights. Sci. Ann. Pol. Soc. Anim. Prod. 72:185-191.
- Kapelanski, W., J. Falkowski, and A. Hammermeister. 2001. The effect of ad libitum and restricted feeding on performance, carcass composition and meat quality of pigs. Pol. J. Natur. Sci. 9:269-276.
- Kim, B. C., C. Y. Han, S. T. Joo, and S. Lee. 1999. Effects of displaying conditions of retailcuts after vacuum packed storage on pork quality and shelf-life. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 41:75-88.
- Krusinski, R. 2000. Effect of herbs on the effects of fattening pigs and meat quality. Ann. Univ. Mariae Curie Sklodowska Sect. EE Zootech. 35:269-277. (in Polish with English abstract).
- Ksobiak, S., B. Rak, and H. Jankowiak. 2005. Comparison of carcass and meat quality traits of white pure-bred fatteners and crossbreds with contribution of Pietrain sires. Sci. Ann. Pol. Soc. Anim. Prod. 1:367-372.
- NZS. 1993. Nutrient Requirements of Swine (Normy Zywienia Swin. Wartosc pokarmowa pasz). PAN Instytut Fizjologii i Zywienia Zwierzat, Omnitech Press, Warszawa. (in Polish with English abstract).
- Majewska, D., M. Jakubowska, M. Ligocki, Z. Tarasewicz, D. Szczerbinska, T. Karamucki, and J. Sales. 2009. Physicochemical characteristics, proximate analysis and mineral composition of ostrich meat as influenced by muscle. Food Chem. 117:207-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.03.100
- Mayoral, A. I., M. Dorado, M. T. Guillen, A. Robina, J. M. Vivo, C. Vazquez, and J. Ruiz. 1999. Development of meat and carcass quality characteristics in Iberian pigs reared outdoors. Meat Sci. 52:315-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00008-X
- Marchiori, A. F. and P. E. de Felicio. 2003. Quality of wild boar meat and commercial pork. Sci. Agric. 60:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162003000100001
- Omojola, A. B., S. S. Fagbuaro, and A. A. Ayeni. 2009. Cholesterol content, physical and sensory properties of pork from pigs fed varying levels of dietary garlic (Allium sativum). World Appl. Sci. J. 6:971-975.
- Paschma, J., A. Kaczor, and P. Paraponiak. 2010. Evaluation of the possibility of improving the breeding environment of pigs receiving dietary herb mixture. Rocz. Nauk. Zoot. 37:179-186. (in Polish with English abstract).
- Paschma, J. and M. Wawrzynski. 2007. Effect of using herbs in pig diets on growth parameters, carcass traits and dietetic value of pork. Pol. J. Natur. Sci. (Suppl.) 4:71-76.
- Peeters, E., B. Driessen, R. Steegmans, D. Henot, and R. Geers. 2006. Effect of supplemental tryptophan, vitamin E, and a herbal product on stress responses and pork quality. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1827-1838. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-600
- Rosenvold, K., H. N. Laerke, S. K. Jensen, A. H. Karlsson, K. Lundstrom, and H. J. Andersen. 2001. Strategic finishing feeding as a tool in the control of pork quality. Meat Sci. 59:397-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00092-4
- Buczma, J. 2000. Slaughter value and meat quality of fattening pigs from different fattening and managment systems. Ann. Univ. Mariae Curie Sklodowska Sect. EE Zootech. 12:87-96.
- Joo, S. T. and B. Ch. Kim. 1997. Effect of backfat thickness and inframuscular fat % on color and drip loss of pork loin. 43rd ICOMST, New Zealand. pp. 568-569.
- Kaczmarek, P. and A. Rzasa. 2005. Effect of diet containg fish meal on physicochemical and organoleptical properties of fatteners meat. Sci. Ann. Pol. Soc. Anim. Prod. 1,2:359-366. (in Polish with English abstract).
- Bryhni, E. A., D. V. Byrne, M. Rodbotten, C. Magnussen, H. Agerhem, M. Johansson, P. Lea, and M. Martens. 2002. Consumer perceptions of pork in Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Food Qual. Prefer. 13:257-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(02)00021-6
- Cameron, N. D. and M. K. Curran. 1995. Genotype with feeding regime interaction in pigs divergently selected for components of efficient lean growth rate. Anim. Sci. 61:123-132. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800013606
- Carlsson, D., H. N. Laerke, H. D. Poulsen, and H. Jorgensen. 1999. Roughages for growing pigs, with emphasis on chemical composition, ingestion and faecal digestibility. Acta Agric. Scand. Sect. A, Anim. Sci. 49:129-136.
- Cullen, S. P., F. J. Monahan, J. J. Callan, and J. V. O'Doherty. 2005. The effect of dietary garlic and rosemary on grower-finisher pig performance and sensory characteristics of pork. Ir. J. Agric. Food Res. 44:57-67.
- Danielsen, V., L. L. Hansen, F. Moller, C. Bejrholm, and S. Nielsen. 2000. Production results and sensory meat quality of pigs fed different amounts of concentrate and ad lib. clover grass or clover grass silage. In: Ecological Animal Husbanddry in the Nordic Countries (Eds. J. E. Hermansen, V. Lund, and E. Thuen). Proceedings from NJF-seminar No. 303. Horsens, Denmark. pp. 79-86.
- Eckert, R. 2006. Determination of the stock of pigs in a massive response to the selection carried out on the basis of lethal boar carcass evaluation. Ann. Anim. Sci. Krakow 34:2-4.
- Hankovaara, M. 1997. Evaluation of the frequency of RSE pork in Finnish slaughter pigs and its technological effects. In: Proceedings of the 43rd ICoMST, Auckland, New Zealand. pp. 296-297.
- Grela, E. R. 2000. Effect of herbs on the carcasses of slaughter value and selected chemical and organoleptic characteristics of meat pigs. Ann. Anim. Sci. Krakow 6:167-171.
- Grau, R. and R. Hamm. 1953. A simple method for the determination of water binding in muscles. Naturwissenschaften 40:29-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Hanczakowska, E., M. Swiatkiewicz, and A. Szewczyk. 2007. Efficiency of herb preparation and garllic acid in pig feeding. Ann. Anim. Sci. 7:131-139.
- Janz, J. A. M., P. C. H. More, B. H. P. Wilkinson, and R. W. Purchas. 2007. Preliminary investigation of the effects of low-level dietary inclusion of fragnant essential oils and oleorisins on pig performance and pork quality. Meat Sci. 75:350-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.06.027
- Jentsch, W., M. Beyer, and L. Hoffmann. 1992. The energetic utilization of rations with steamed potatoes in growing swine. Arch. Tierernahr. 42:117-131. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450399209432982
- Jin, Z., Y. X. Yang, J.Y. Choi, P. L. Shinde, S. Y. Yoon, T. W. Hahn, H. T. Lim, Y. K. Park, K. S. Hahm, J. W. Joo, and B. J. Chae. 2008. Effects of potato (Solanum tuberosum L. cv. Golden valley) protein having antimicrobial activity on the growth performance, and intestinal microflora and morphology in weanling pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 140:139-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.12.006
- Ao, X., Q. W. Meng, and I. H. Kim. 2011. Effects of fermented red ginseng supplementation on growth performance, apparent nutrient digestibility, blood hematology and meat quality in finishing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 24:525-531. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10397
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA.
- Bee, G., C. Biolley, G. Guex, W. Herzog, S. M. Lonergan, and E. Huff-Lonergan. 2006. Effects of available dietary carbohydrate and preslaughter treatment on glycolytic potential, protein degradation, and quality traits of pig muscles. J Anim. Sci. 84:191-203.
- Borzuta, K., J. Strzelecki, K. Dziadek, E. Grzeskowiak, D. Lisiak, and P. V. Janiszewski. 2008. Comparison of slaughter value and meat quality of PEN-AR-LAN hybrid pigs and line 990. Rocz. Nauk. Zoot. 35:63-73. (in Polish with English abstract).
- Bredahl, L., K. G. Grunert, and C. Fertin. 1998. Relating consumer perceptions of pork quality to physical product characteristics. Food Qual. Prefer. 9:273-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(98)00007-X
- Pork Quality Traits According to Postmortem pH and Temperature in Berkshire vol.36, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.1.29