- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Forage Sources on Rumen Fermentation Characteristics, Performance, and Microbial Protein Synthesis in Midlactation Cows
- Xua, Jun (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Houa, Yujie (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Yang, Hongbo (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Shi, Renhuang (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Wu, Caixia (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Huo, Yongjiu (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University) ;
- Zhao, Guoqi (College of Animal Science and Technology, Yangzhou University)
- Received : 2013.09.27
- Accepted : 2014.01.12
- Published : 2014.05.01
Eight multiparous Holstein cows (
- Cantalapiedra-Hijar, G., D. R. Yanez-Ruiz, A. I. Martin-Garcia, and E. Molina-Alcaide. 2009. Effects of forage:concentrate ratio and forage type on apparent digestibility, ruminal fermentation, and microbial growth in goats. J. Anim. Sci. 87:622-631.
- Berthiaume, R., C. Benchaar, A. V. Chaves, G. F. Tremblay, Y. Castonguay, A. Bertrand, G. Belanger, R. Michaud, C. Lafreniere, T. McAllister, and A. F. Brito. 2010. Effects of nonstructural carbohydrate concentration in alfalfa on fermentation and microbial protein synthesis in continuous culture. J. Dairy Sci. 93:693-700. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2399
- Carro, M. D., C. Valdes, M. J. Ranilla and J. S. Gonzalez. 2000. Effect of forage to concentrate ratio in the diet on ruminal fermentation and digesta flow kinetics in sheep offered food at a fixed and restricted level of intake. Anim. Sci. 70:127-134.
- Chaney, A. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:130-132.
- Chen, X. B. and M. Gomes. 1995. Estimation of Microbial Protein Supply to Sheep and Cattle Based on Urinary Excretion of Purine Derivatives - An Overview of the Technical Details. International Feed Resources Unit, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, AB2 9SB, UK.
- Clark, J. H., T. H. Klusmeyer, and M. R. Cameron. 1992. Microbial protein synthesis and flows of nitrogen fractions to the duodenum of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:2304-2323. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77992-2
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Offical Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Eastridge, M. L., P. B. Bucci, and C. V. D. M. Ribeiro. 2009. Feeding equivalent concentrations of forage neutral detergent fiber from alfalfa hay, grass hay, wheat straw, and whole cottonseed in corn silage based diets to lactating cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 150:86-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2008.08.008
- Gencoglu, H. and I. I. Turkmen. 2006. Effects of forage source on chewing and rumen fermentation in lactating dairy cows. Revue Med. Vet. 157:463-470.
- Adin, G., R. Solomon, M. Nikbachat, A. Zenou, E. Yosef, A. Brosh, A. Shabtay, S. J. Mabjeesh, I. Halachmi, and J. Miron. 2009. Effect of feeding cows in early lactation with diets differing in roughage-neutral detergent fiber content on intake behavior, rumination, and milk production. J. Dairy Sci. 92:3364-3373. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2078
- Gencoglu, H., I. I. Turkmen, G. Deniz, and H. Biricik. 2007. The effect of partial replacement of corn silage on rumen degradability, milk production and composition in lactating primiparous dairy cows. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 6:71-80.
- Guo, T. S., D. M. Sanchez, and P. Y. Guo. 2002. Animal Production Based on Crop Residues - Chinese Experiences. FAO, Rome, Italy. pp. 6-8.
- Haddad, S. G. and R. J. Grant. 2000. Influence of nonfiber carbohydrate concentration on forage fiber digestion in vitro. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 86:107-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00160-7
- Holt, M. S., J.-S. Eun, C. R. Thacker, A. J. Young, X. Dai, and K. E. Nestor Jr. 2013. Effects of feeding brown midrib corn silage with a high dietary concentration of alfalfa hay on lactational performance of Holstein dairy cows for the first 180 days of lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 96:515-523. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5856
- Kendall, C., C. Leonardi, P. C. Hoffman, and D. K. Combs. 2009. Intake and milk production of cows fed diets that differed in dietary neutral detergent fiber and neutral detergent fiber digestibility. J. Dairy Sci. 92:313-323. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1482
- Owens, D., M. McGee, T. Boland, and P. O'Kiely. 2009. Rumen fermentation, microbial protein synthesis, and nutrient flow to the omasum in cattle offered corn silage, grass silage, or whole-crop wheat. J. Anim. Sci. 87:658-668.
- Khorasani, G. R., E. K. Okine, and J. J. Kennelly. 2001. Effects of forage source and amount of concentrate on rumen and intestinal digestion of nutrients in late-lactation cows. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1156-1165. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74576-6
- Kononoff, P. J. and A. J. Heinrichs. 2003. The Effect of corn silage particle size and cottonseed hulls on cows in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2438-2451. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73838-7
- Moscardini, S., T. C. Wright, P. H. Luimes, B. W. McBride, and P. Susmel. 1998. Effects of rumen-undegradable protein and feed intake on purine derivative and urea nitrogen: Comparison with predictions from the cornell net carbohydrate and protein system. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2421-2429. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)70133-X
- Ramos, S., M. L. Tejido, M. E. Martinez, M. J. Ranilla, and M. D. Carro. 2009. Microbial protein synthesis, ruminal digestion, microbial populations, and nitrogen balance in sheep fed diets varying in forage-to-concentrate ratio and type of forage. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2924-2934. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1938
- Ranathunga, S. D., K. F. Kalscheur, A. R. Hippen, and D. J. Schingoethe. 2010. Replacement of starch from corn with nonforage fiber from distillers grains and soyhulls in diets of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 93:1086-1097. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2332
- Rode, L. M., D. C. Weakley and L. D. Satter. 1985. Effect of forage amount and particle size in diets of lactating dairy cows on site of digestion and microbial protein synthesis. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 65:101-111. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas85-011
- Samuel, M., S. Sagathewan, J. Thomas, and G. Mathen. 1997. An HPLC method for estimation of volatile fatty acids of ruminal fluid. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69:805-807.
- Su, Y., G. Zhao, Z. Wei, C. Yan, and S. Liu. 2012. Mutation of cellulose synthase gene improves the nutritive value of rice straw. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:800-805. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11409
- Wang, J. Q. 2011. Five key indicators leading the direction of China dairy industry. China Anim. Husbandry Vet. Med. 38:5-9.
- Valadares, R. F. D., G. A. Broderick, S. C. Valadares Filho, and A. H. M. K. Clayton. 1999. Effect of replacing alfalfa silage with high moisture corn on ruminal protein synthesis estimated from excretion of total purine derivatives. J. Dairy Sci. 82: 2686-2696. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75525-6
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Vanhatalo, A., K. Kuoppala, S. Ahvenjarvi, and M. Rinne. 2009. Effects of feeding grass or red clover silage cut at two maturity stages in dairy cows. 1. Nitrogen metabolism and supply of amino acids. J. Dairy Sci. 92:5620-5633. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2249
- Yan, R., S. Chen, X. Zhang, J. Han, Y. Zhang and D. Undersander. 2011. Short communication: Effects of replacing part of corn silage and alfalfa hay with Leymus chinensis hay on milk production and composition. J. Dairy Sci. 94:3605-3608. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-3536
- Yang, H. J., Q. Yue, Y. C. Cao, D. F. Zhang, and J. Q. Wang. 2009. Effects of crude feruloyl and acetyl esterase solutions of Neocallimastix sp. YQ1 and Anaeromyces sp. YQ3 isolated from Holstein steers on hydrolysis of Chinese wildrye grass hay, wheat bran, maize bran, wheat straw and corn stalks. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 154:218-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.09.006
- Zhu, W., Y. Fu, B. Wang, C. Wang, J. A. Ye, Y. M. Wu, and J.-X. Liu. 2013. Effects of dietary forage sources on rumen microbial protein synthesis and milk performance in early lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 96:1727-1734. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5756
- Effects of forage ensiling and ration fermentation on total mixed ration pH, ruminal fermentation and performance of growing Holstein-Zebu cross steers vol.88, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12797
- A meta-analysis on the effect of the feeding type and production system on the carcase quality of lambs pp.1828-051X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2018.1532327