- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Volumes of Solids in Joseon Mathematics
조선(朝鮮) 산학(算學)과 체적(體積)
- Hong, Sung Sa (Dept. of Math., Sogang Univ.) ;
- Hong, Young Hee (Dept. of Math., Sookmyung Women's Univ.) ;
- Kim, Chang Il (Dept. of Math. Education, Dankook Univ.)
- Received : 2014.02.25
- Accepted : 2014.04.02
- Published : 2014.04.30
Joseon is mainly an agricultural country and its main source of national revenue is the farmland tax. Since the beginning of the Joseon dynasty, the assessment and taxation of agricultural land became one of the most important subjects in the national administration. Consequently, the measurement of fields, or the area of various plane figures and curved surfaces is a very much important topic for mathematical officials. Consequently Joseon mathematicians were concerned about the volumes of solids more for those of granaries than those of earthworks. The area and volume together with surveying have been main geometrical subjects in Joseon mathematics as well. In this paper we discuss the history of volumes of solids in Joseon mathematics and the influences of Chinese mathematics on the subject.
- GUO ShuChun tr. comm. JiuZhang SuanShu YiZhu, ShangHai GuJi Pub. Co., 2009. 郭書春譯注, <九章筭術譯注>, 上海古籍出版社, 2009.
- GUO ShuChun ed. ZhongGuo KeXue JiShu DianJi TongHui ShuXueJuan, HeNan JiaoYu Pub. Co., 1993. 郭書春主編, <中國科學技術典籍通彙> 數學卷全五卷, 河南敎育出版社, 1993.
- GUO ShuChun, LI Zhaohua, ZhongGuo KeXue JiShuShi, Kexue Pub. Co., 2010. 郭書春主編, 李兆華副主編, <中國科學技術史> 科學出版社, 2010.
- KIM YongWoon ed. HanGuk GwaHak GiSulSa JaRyo DaeGye, SuHakPyeon, YeoGang Pub. Co., 1985. 金容雲編, <韓國科學技術史資料大系> 數學編, 驪江出版社, 1985.
- LEE GiBaek, HanGukSa SinLon, IlJoGak, 1983. 李基白, <韓國史新論>, 一潮閣, 1985.
- ZHENG YuanMei corrected, Zhiming Suanfa. Tohoku Univ. Library. 鄭元美, 校正, <指明算法>, 東北大學圖書館.
- HONG Sung Sa, Theory of Equations in the history of Chosun Mathematics, Proceeding Book 2, The HPM Satellite Meeting of ICME-12, 719-731, 2012.
- HONG Sung Sa, A brief history of Chosun mathematics, in RIMS Symposium on Study of the History of Mathematics (Aug. 27-30, 2013), to appear.
- HONG Sung Sa, HONG Young Hee, Mathematics Teachers and Professors in Chosun Dynasty, The Korean Journal for History of Mathematics, 19(3) (2006), 1-20. 홍성사, 홍영희, 朝鮮의 算學訓導와 算學敎授, 한국수학사학회지 19(3) (2006), 1-20.
- HONG Sung Sa, HONG Young Hee, Nam Byung Gil and his Theory of Equations, The Korean Journal for History of Mathematics, 20(2) (2007), 1-18. 홍성사, 홍영희, 南秉吉의 方程式論, 한국수학사학회지 20(2) (2007), 1-18.
- HONG Sung Sa, HONG Young Hee, LEE Seung On, Mathematical Structures of Joseon mathematician Hong JeongHa, Journal for History of Mathematics 27(1) (2014), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.14477/jhm.2014.27.1.001
- HONG Sung Sa, HONG, Young Hee, KIM Young Wook, SanHak WonBon of Park Yul, The Korean J. for History of Mathematics 18(4) (2005), 1-16. 홍성사, 홍영희, 김영욱, 朴繘의 算學原本, 한국수학사학회지 18(4) (2005), 1-16.
- The Annals of the Joseon Dynasty. 朝鮮王朝實錄. http://sillok.history.go.kr
- Areas in MukSaJibSanBeob and GuIlJib vol.27, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14477/jhm.2014.27.4.259