- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of an Integrative Art Program on Young Children's Emotional Intelligence and Their Pro-Social Behaviors
만 4-5세 유아의 감성지능과 친사회적 행동 증진을 위한 유아통합미술활동프로그램의 효과
- Oh, Eukyoung (Department of Child & Family Studies, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Seo, SoJung (Department of Child & Family Studies, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2013.08.26
- Accepted : 2013.10.20
- Published : 2014.04.30
This study was aimed to develop an integrative art program that incorporates both emotional and pro-social components for young children (age, 4-5 years). Furthermore, the effectiveness of this integrative program was examined with 39 young children who were divided into the experimental group and the control group of this study. To the experimental group, the integrative art program of interest in this study was provided over 8 weeks. The children of the control group were provided a similar program during the same period. To measure the levels of young children's emotional intelligence and those of their pro-social behavior were assessed by using the emotional intelligence questionnaire and the children's pro-social behavior assessment scale to collect the data. The analysis of covariance by SPSS 18.0 indicated that the young children from the experimental group exhibited higher total scores for emotional intelligence and pro-social behaviors than their counterparts from the control group. The results indicate that the integrative art program of interest in this study improved the young children's emotional intelligence and their pro-social behaviors. Along with main results of this study, implications for research and practice were discussed.
- Chi, S. A., Kim, N. H., Yoo, E. Y., Moon, G. Y., Son, J. H., & Chai, W. P. (2010). The effects of emotion-based art appreciation activity on young children's drawing representation ability and emotion quotient. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 14(1), 447-466.
- Cohen, D. H., & Rudolph, M. (1977). Kindergarten and early schooling. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Go, J. S. (2010). Eurhythmics activities effect children's social and emotional development. The Journal of Total Arts and Music, 4(1), 23-41.
- Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence. New York, NY: Bantam Books.
- Han, Y. K. (2007). The effect of the art program using the picture books on the children's emotional intelligence and social effectiveness emotional quotient, social competence. The Journal of Korean Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 12(3), 295-316.
- Hong, S. O., & Jung, S. K. (2003). The effects of cooperative art activities on young children's social and emotional development. Journal of Early Childhood Education, 12, 1-16.
- Jung, O. B., Kim, M. J., No, S. H., Park, Y. J., Jung, S. H., & Lim, J. H. (2010). A study on the development and effects of a program for nurturing children's emotional intelligence. The Korean Journal of Human Development, 17(4), 191-209.
- Jung, Y. S. (2003). The effect of art activity on the infant's emotions and psychology. Ewha Education Collection of Treatises, 13, 415-425.
- Katz, L. G., & McCellan, D. E. (1997). Fostering children's social competence: The teacher's role. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- Kellogg, R. (1969). Analyzing children's art. Palo Alto, CA: National Press Books.
- Kim, H. S., & Cho, S. H. (2012). The effects of the arts-centered integrated arts and cultural education on the development of creativity and sociability in preschoolers. The Journal of Korean Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 17(6), 145-173.
- Kim, M. H., Kim, S. R., & Park, E. Y. (2012). The effects of nature exploration art activity on young children's emotional intelligence and drawing representation ability. Korean Education Inquiry, 30(3), 205-226.
- Kim, S. K., Lee, K. U., & Han, Y. C. (2003). Effects of preschool physical education on the sociality and emotionality. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 42(5), 213-219.
- Kim, Y. H., Lee, S. J., & Lee, S. O. (2008). Improving EQ for healthy life. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Kim, Y. J., & Ann, H. S. (2004) The effect of small-group cooperative art activity on children's emotional intelligence. Journal of Human Ecology, 6(1), 27-41.
- Kim, Y. O. (2003). A study on the development of prosocial behavior scale for young children. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 24(5), 105-118.
- Koster, J. B. (2001). Growing artists: Teaching art to young children (2nd ed.). Albany, NY: Delmar Thomson Learning.
- Lee, B. R. (1997). The relationships among parent's psychological life position and children's emotional intelligence (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, S. E., & Lee, Y. S. (2004). A study on the validation of emotional intelligence test for young children. Korean Journal of Education Research, 42(3), 519-551.
- Lee, S. E., & Lee Y. S. (2004). Development an emotional education program for young children. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 25(6), 171-189.
- Leeper, S. H., Skipper, D. S., & Witherspoom, R. L. (1979). Good schools for young children (4th ed.). New York, NY: Macmillan.
- Lowenfeld, V., & Brittain, W. L. (1995). Creative and mental growth (6th ed.) (Seoul National University Education of Art Education Association, Trans.). Seoul: Mijinsa. (Original work published 1975).
- Mayer, J. D., Salovey, P., & Caruso, D. (2002). MSCEIT: User's manual. Toronto, Canada: Multi-Health System.
- Mayesky, M. (2006). Creative activities for young children (8th ed). Clifton Park, NY: Delmar/Thomson.
- Salovey, P., & Sluyter, D. J. (1997). Emotional development and emotional intelligence: Educational implications. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Shirrmacher, R. (1986). Talking with young children about their art. Young Children, 41(5), 3-7.
- Schirrmacher, R. (1993). Art and creative development for young children (2nd ed.). Albany, NY: Delmar Publishers.
- Thorndike, E. L. (1920, January). Intelligence and its uses. Harper's Magazine, 140, 227-235, from http://harpers.org
- Vernon, A. (2005). Thinking, feeling, and behaving: An emotional education curriculum for children (K. E. Park, J. W. Ha, J. H. Yoon, & E. M. Lee, Trans.). Seoul: Sigma Press. (Original work published 1989).
- Yoo, Y. O. (2008). Ethnographic inquiry on early childhood teachers' practical knowledge in art education (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Sungshin Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yoon, J. E., & Kim, C. G. (2012). The effects of small group paperfolding activity on young children's spatial perception, social and language ability. Korean Education Inquiry, 30(1), 173-203.