- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Examination of lysine requirement of healthy young male adults on a Chinese habitual diet by the modified indicator amino acid oxidation method
- Tian, Ying (Department of Nutrition, School of Food Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University) ;
- Peng, Jing (Department of Nutrition, School of Food Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University) ;
- Chen, Yu (Department of Nutrition, School of Food Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University) ;
- Gong, Junjun (Department of Nutrition, School of Food Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University) ;
- Xu, Huiqing (Department of Nutrition, School of Food Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University)
- Received : 2013.03.06
- Accepted : 2013.10.02
- Published : 2014.01.25
There is currently no reference for intake of lysine for Chinese people; therefore, the present study was conducted to determine the lysine requirement of Chinese young male adults on a habitual Chinese mixed diet based on the modified indicator amino acid oxidation method. Seven young men with a mean age of
- Zhai FY, Yang XG. Reports of the Survey of Nutrition and Health State of Chinese Residents: the Intakes of Diet and Nutrients in 2002. Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House; 2006.
- Wang ZH, Zhang B, Wang HJ, Zhang JG, Du WW, Su C, Zhang J, Zhai FY. Dynamic changing trend in dietary protein intake among Chinese adults aged 18 to 45 years in 1989-2009. Chin Prev Med 2012;13;819-23.
- Kurpad AV, Raj T, El-Khoury A, Beaumier L, Kuriyan R, Srivatsa A, Borgonha S, Selvaraj A, Regan MM, Young VR. Lysine requirements of healthy adult Indian subjects, measured by an indicator amino acid balance technique. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73: 900-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.5.900
- Kurpad AV, Regan MM, Raj T, El-Khoury A, Kuriyan R, Vaz M, Chandakudlu D, Venkataswamy VG, Borgonha S, Young VR. Lysine requirements of healthy adult Indian subjects receiving long-term feeding, measured with a 24-h indicator amino acid oxidation and balance technique. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76: 404-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.2.404
- World Health Organization; Food and Agriculture Organization; United Nations University. WHO Technical Report Series935. Protein and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition: Report of a Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2007.
- Brunton JA, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Determination of amino acid requirements by indicator amino acid oxidation: applications in health and disease. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 1998;1:449-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/00075197-199809000-00014
- Millward DJ. Metabolic demands for amino acids and the human dietary requirement: Millward and rRvers (1988) revisited. J Nutr 1998;128:2563-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.12.2563S
- El-Khoury AE, Fukagawa NK, Sánchez M, Tsay RH, Gleason RE, Chapman TE, Young VR. Validation of the tracer-balance concept with reference to leucine: 24-h intravenous tracer studies with L-[1-13C] leucine and [15N-15N] urea. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 59:1000-11.
- El-Khoury AE, Fukagawa NK, Sánchez M, Tsay RH, Gleason RE, Chapman TE, Young VR. The 24-h pattern and rate of leucine oxidation, with particular reference to tracer estimates of leucine requirements in healthy adults. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59: 1012-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.5.1012
- Sun CH. Nutrition and Food Hygiene. 6th ed. Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House; 2007.
- Bell L, Jones PJ, Telch J, Clandinin MT, Pencharz PB. Prediction of energy needs for clinical studies. Nutr Res 1985;5:123-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(85)80027-0
- Yang YX, Wang GY, Pan XC. China Food Composition. Beijing: Beijing Medical University Press; 2004.
- Zello GA, Pencharz PB, Ball RO. Phenylalanine flux, oxidation, and conversion to tyrosine in humans studied with L-[1-13C] phenylalanine. Am J Physiol 1990;259:835-43.
- Riazi R, Wykes LJ, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. The total branchedchain amino acid requirement in young healthy adult men determined by indicator amino acid oxidation by use of L-[1-13C] phenylalanine. J Nutr 2003;133:1383-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.5.1383
- Drever JI. Isotopes. In: The Geochemistry of Natural Waters: Surface and Groundwater Environments. 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Prentice Hall; 1997. p.311-22.
- Matthews DE, Motil KJ, Rohrbaugh DK, Burke JF, Young VR, Bier DM. Measurement of leucine metabolism in man from a primed, continuous infusion of L-[1-13C] leucine. Am J Physiol 1980;238:473-9.
- Hoerr RA, Yu YM, Wagner DA, Burke JF, Young VR. Recovery of 13C in breath from NaH13CO3 infused by gut and vein: effect of feeding. Am J Physiol 1989;257:426-38.
- Littell RC, Milliken GA, Stroup WW, Wolfinger RD. SAS System for Mixed Models. Cary (NC): SAS Institute. 1996.
- Zello GA, Pencharz PB, Ball RO. Dietary lysine requirement of young adult males determined by oxidation of L-[1-13C] phenylalanine. Am J Physiol 1993;264:677-85.
- Chinese Nutrition Society (CN). Dietary Guidelines for Chinese Residents 2007. Lhasa: Tibet people's press; 2008.
- Turner JM, Humayun MA, Elango R, Rafii M, Langos V, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Total sulfur amino acid requirement of healthy school-age children as determined by indicator amino acid oxidation technique. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83:619-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn.83.3.619
- Roberts SA, Thorpe JM, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Tyrosine requirement of healthy men receiving a fixed phenylalanine intake determined by using indicator amino acid oxidation. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:276-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.2.276
- Panel on Macronutrients; Panel on Definition of Dietary Fiber; Subcommittee on Upper Reference Levels of Nutrients; Subcommittee on Interpretation and Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes; Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes; Food and Nutrition Board; Institute of Medicine (US). Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2005.
- Beck FK, Rosenthal TC. Prealbumin: a marker for nutritional evaluation. Am Fam Physician 2002;65:1575-8.
- Fuhrman MP, Charney P, Mueller CM. Hepatic proteins and nutrition assessment. J Am Diet Assoc 2004;104:1258-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.05.213
- Takagi Y. Nutrition assessment protein. Rinsho Byori 2004;52: 301-6.
- Elango R, Humayun MA, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Lysine requirement of healthy school-age children determined by the indicator amino acid oxidation method. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86: 360-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.2.360
- Duncan AM, Ball RO, Pencharz PB. Lysine requirement of adult males is not affected by decreasing dietary protein. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:718-25.
- Rose WC, Borman A, Coon MJ, Lambert GF. The amino acid requirements of man. X. The lysine requirement. J Biol Chem 1955;214:579-87.