- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prophylactic effect of aqueous extract of Sesamum indicum seeds on ethanol-induced toxicity in male rats
- Oyinloye, B.E. (Department of Biochemistry, College of Sciences, Afe Babalola University) ;
- Nwozo, S.O. (Nutritional and Industrial Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan) ;
- Amah, G.H. (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Babcock University) ;
- Awoyinka, A.O. (Department of Medical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Ekiti State University) ;
- Ojo, O.A. (Department of Biochemistry, College of Sciences, Afe Babalola University) ;
- Ajiboye, B.O. (Department of Biochemistry, College of Sciences, Afe Babalola University) ;
- Tijani, H.A. (Nutritional and Industrial Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan)
- Received : 2013.05.23
- Accepted : 2013.11.12
- Published : 2014.01.25
The liver is vulnerable to alcohol-related injury because it is the primary site of alcohol metabolism. Additionally, a number of potentially dangerous by-products are generated as alcohol is broken down in the liver. However, dietary supplements may prevent or relieve some of alcohol's deleterious effects. Therefore, this study was conducted to evaluate the prophylactic effect of aqueous extract of Sesamum indicum (SI) on ethanol induced toxicity in rats. Male Wistar albino rats were divided into control, ethanol, pre-treatment, simultaneous and post-treatment groups. In the prophylactic experiment, Sesamum indicum, (200 mg/kg body weight) was administered by oral gavage for 28 days; two hours before, simultaneously with or two hours after ethanol exposure. Toxicity was induced by administering 45% ethanol (4.8 g/kg bw) by oral gavage. Lipid peroxidation (TBARS) and reduced glutathione (GSH) levels and catalase (CAT), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and gluthathione-S-transferase (GST) activities were then determined in the liver, serum triglyceride (TG) levels, alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) activities were monitored and histological examination was carried out. The results revealed that ethanol administration led to significant elevation of TBARS level while depleting in the level of GSH as well as CAT, GPx, SOD and GST activities. Similarly, TG level and ALT and AST activities were elevated. The SI pre-treated group significantly inhibited TBARS, restored GSH level, enhanced CAT, GPx, SOD and GST activities and significantly decreased the elevated level of serum TG, ALT and AST activities. SI treatment (simultaneously with ethanol) exhibited similar effects to those of the SI pre-treated groups, while the SI post-treated group did not show the same protection as the Pre-treated group. S. indicum possesses antioxidant and hepatoprotective properties, that eliminate the deleterious effects of toxic metabolites of ethanol.
- Maher JJ. Exploring alcohol's effects on liver function. Alcohol Health Res World 1997;21:5-12.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM. The antioxidants of human extracellular fluids. Arch Biochem Biophys 1990;280:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(90)90510-6
- Thurman RG, Bradford BU, Iimuro Y, Frankenberg MV, Knecht KT, Connor HD, Adachi Y, Wall C, Arteel GE, Raleigh JA, Forman DT, Mason RP. Mechanisms of alcohol-induced hepatotoxicity: studies in rats. Front Biosci 1999;4:e42-6. https://doi.org/10.2741/Thurman
- Gupta S, Pandey R, Katyal R, Aggarwal HK, Aggarwal RP, Aggarwal SK. Lipid peroxide levels and antioxidant status in alcoholic liver disease. Indian J Clin Biochem 2005;20:67-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02893045
- Wu D, Cederbaum AI. Alcohol, oxidative stress, and free radical damage. Alcohol Res Health 2003;27:277-84.
- Saleem TS, Chetty CM, Ramkanth S, Rajan VS, Kumar KM, Gauthaman K. Hepatoprotective herbs-a review. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2010;1:1-5.
- Adewusi EA, Afolayan AJ. A review of natural products with hepatoprotective activity. J Med Plant Res 2010;4:1318-34.
- Kono H, Arteel GE, Rusyn I, Sies H, Thurman RG. Ebselen prevents early alcohol-induced liver injury in rats. Free Radic Biol Med 2001;30:403-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(00)00490-1
- Wheeler MD, Nakagami M, Bradford BU, Uesugi T, Mason RP, Connor HD, Dikalova A, Kadiiska M, Thurman RG. Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase prevents alcoholinduced liver injury in the rat. J Biol Chem 2001;276:36664-72. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M105352200
- Rosengren RJ. Catechins and the treatment of breast cancer: possible utility and mechanistic targets. IDrugs 2003;6:1073-8.
- Hajimahmoodi M, Oveisi MR, Sadeghi N, Jannat B, Bahaeddin Z, Mansoori S. Gamma tocopherol content of Iranian sesame seeds. Iran J Pharm Res 2008;7:135-9.
- Uthandi A, Ramasamy K. Hepatoprotective activity of sesame meal on high fat fed wistar rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:205-11.
- Utsunomiya T, Shimada M, Rikimaru T, Hasegawa H, Yamashita Y, Hamatsu T, Yamasaki M, Kaku S, Yamada K, Sugimachi K. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of a diet supplemented with sesamin on hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Hepatogastroenterology 2003;50:1609-13.
- Chakraborthy GS, Sharma G, Kaushik KN. Sesamum indicum: a review. J Herb Med Toxicol 2008;2:15-9.
- Harborne JB. Organic acids, lipids and related compounds. In: Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis. London: Chapman and Hall Ltd.; 1973. p.149-88.
- Varshney R, Kale RK. Effects of calmodulin antagonists on radiation-induced lipid peroxidation in microsomes. Int J Radiat Biol 1990;58:733-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/09553009014552121
- Sinha AK. Colorimetric assay of catalase. Anal Biochem 1972; 47:389-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(72)90132-7
- Misra HP, Fridovich I. The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem 1972;247:3170-5.
- Beutler E, Duron O, Kelly BM. Improved method for the determination of blood glutathione. J Lab Clin Med 1963;61:882-8.
- Hafeman DG, Sunde RA, Hoekstra WG. Effect of dietary selenium on erythrocyte and liver glutathione peroxidase in the rat. J Nutr 1974;104:580-7.
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. Glutathione S-transferases. The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 1974;249:7130-9.
- Tome S, Lucey MR. Review article: current management of alcoholic liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004;19:707-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2004.01881.x
- Zeng MD, Li YM, Chen CW, Lu LG, Fan JG, Wang BY, Mao YM; Chinese National Consensus Workshop on Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of alcoholic liver disease. J Dig Dis 2008;9:113-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-2980.2008.00332.x
- Adiels M, Olofsson SO, Taskinen MR, Borén J. Overproduction of very low-density lipoproteins is the hallmark of the dyslipidemia in the metabolic syndrome. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2008;28:1225-36. https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.107.160192
- Song Z, Zhou Z, Deaciuc I, Chen T, McClain CJ. Inhibition of adiponectin production by homocysteine: a potential mechanism for alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology 2008;47:867-79. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.22074
- Zeng T, Guo FF, Zhang CL, Zhao S, Dou DD, Gao XC, Xie KQ. The anti-fatty liver effects of garlic oil on acute ethanolexposed mice. Chem Biol Interact 2008;176:234-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.07.004
- Adewusi EA, Afolayan AJ. Effect of Pelargonium reniforme roots on alcohol-induced liver damage and oxidative stress. Pharm Biol 2010;48:980-7. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880200903410354
- Nwozo SO, Oyinloye BE. Hepatoprotective effect of aqueous extract of Aframomum melegueta on ethanol-induced toxicity in rats. Acta Biochim Pol 2011;58:355-8.
- Tabassum F, Khurshid R, Karim S, Akhtar MS. Metabolic effects of alcoholism and its relationship with alcoholic liver disease. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2001;13:19-21.
- Sudha A, Srinivasan P, Manikandaselvi S, Thinagarbabu R. Protective effect and antioxidant role of Achyranthus Aspera L. against ethanol-induced oxidative stress in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4 Suppl 3:280-4.
- Crews FT, Nixon K. Mechanisms of neurodegeneration and regeneration in alcoholism. Alcohol Alcohol 2009;44:115-27. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agn079
- De Freitas V, Da Silva Porto P, Assunção M, Cadete-Leite A, Andrade JP, Paula-Barbosa MM. Flavonoids from grape seeds prevent increased alcohol-induced neuronal lipofuscin formation. Alcohol Alcohol 2004;39:303-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agh069
- Dey A, Cederbaum AI. Alcohol and oxidative liver injury. Hepatology 2006;43:S63-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20957
- Reddy VD, Padmavathi P, Paramahamsa M, Varadacharyulu NC. Amelioration of alcohol-induced oxidative stress by Emblica officinalis (amla) in rats. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2010; 47:20-5.
- Curtis SJ, Moritz M, Snodgrass PJ. Serum enzymes derived from liver cell fractions. I. The response to carbon tetrachloride intoxication in rats. Gastroenterology 1972;62:84-92.
- Geesin JC, Hendricks LJ, Falkenstein PA, Gordon JS, Berg RA. Regulation of collagen synthesis by ascorbic acid: characterization of the role of ascorbate-stimulated lipid peroxidation. Arch Biochem Biophys 1991;290:127-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(91)90598-D
- Rukkumani R, Aruna K, Varma PS, Menon VP. Influence of ferulic acid on circulatory prooxidant-antioxidant status during alcohol and PUFA induced toxicity. J Physiol Pharmacol 2004; 55:551-61.
- Sen CK. Nutritional biochemistry of cellular glutathione. J Nutr Biochem 1997;8:660-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(97)00113-7
- Lieber CS. Role of oxidative stress and antioxidant therapy in alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver diseases. Adv Pharmacol 1997; 38:601-28.
- Nordmann R. Alcohol and antioxidant systems. Alcohol Alcohol 1994;29:513-22.
- Altomare E, Grattagliano I, Vendemiale G, Palmieri V, Palasciano G. Acute ethanol administration induces oxidative changes in rat pancreatic tissue. Gut 1996;38:742-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.38.5.742
- Esmaeili MA, Sonboli A, Kanani MR, Sadeghi H. Salvia sahendica prevents tissue damages induced by alcohol in oxidative stress conditions: effect on liver and kidney oxidative parameters. J Med Plant Res 2009;3:276-83.
- Singh R, Sharma P. Hepatoprotective effect of curcumin on lindane-induced oxidative stress in male wistar rats. Toxicol Int 2011;18:124-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-6580.84264
- extract against oxidative stress induced by vanadium on isolated rat hepatocytes vol.31, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/tox.22107