- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Hepatoprotective effects of Rubus coreanus miquel concentrates on liver injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats
- Chae, Hyun-Jung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Inha University) ;
- Yim, Jung-Eun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Changwon National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Ah (Department of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chyun, Jong-Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Inha University)
- Received : 2012.10.24
- Accepted : 2013.11.07
- Published : 2014.01.25
As well-being foods pursuing healthy life are becoming popular, interest in Rubus coreanus Miquel (RCM) fruit, a type of Korean blackberry, is increasing due to its medicinal actions including protecting the liver, brightening the eyes, and alleviating diabetes. This study was carried out to evaluate the hepatoprotective effects of RCM concentrates on liver injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride (
- Jun DW, Cho YK, Sohn JH, Lee CH, Kim SH, Eun JR. A study of the awareness of chronic liver diseases among Korean adults. Korean J Hepatol 2011;17:99-105. https://doi.org/10.3350/kjhep.2011.17.2.99
- Campos R, Garrido A, Guerra R, Valenzuela A. Silybin dihemisuccinate protects against glutathione depletion and lipid peroxidation induced by acetaminophen on rat liver. Planta Med 1989; 55:417-9. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-962055
- Ip SP, Yiu HY, Ko KM. Differential effect of schisandrin B and dimethyl diphenyl bicarboxylate (DDB) on hepatic mitochondrial glutathione redox status in carbon tetrachloride intoxicated mice. Mol Cell Biochem 2000;205:111-4. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007065917665
- Kwak CS, Kim MY, Lee MS. Antioxidative effect of plant food mixtures in rat fed on high fat-high cholesterol diet. Korean J Nutr 2005;38:352-63.
- Seeram NP, Aviram M, Zhang Y, Henning SM, Feng L, Dreher M, Heber D. Comparison of antioxidant potency of commonly consumed polyphenol-rich beverages in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 2008;56:1415-22. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf073035s
- Fazio A, Plastina P, Meijerink J, Witkamp RF, Gabriele B. Comparative analyses of seeds of wild fruits of Rubus and Sambucus species from Southern Italy: fatty acid composition of the oil, total phenolic content, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of the methanolic extracts. Food Chem 2013;140: 817-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.11.010
- Jeon SK, Lee JW, Lee IS. Effect of antioxidant activity and induction of DNA damage of human gastric cancer cell by Rubus coreanus Miquel. J Life Sci 2007;17:1723-8. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.12.1723
- Lee JW, Do JH. Chemical compounds and volatile flavor of Rubus coreanum. Korean J Food Nutr 2000;13:453-9.
- Cha HS, Park MS, Park KM. Physiological activities of Rubus coreanus Miquel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2001;33:409-15.
- Lee JE, Park E, Lee JE, Auh JH, Choi HK, Lee J, Cho S, Kim JH. Effects of a Rubus coreanus Miquel supplement on plasma antioxidant capacity in healthy Korean men. Nutr Res Pract 2011;5:429-34. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.5.429
- Lim JW, Hwang HJ, Shin CS. Polyphenol compounds and anti-inflammatory activities of Korean black raspberry (Rubus coreanus Miquel) wines produced from juice supplemented with pulp and seed. J Agric Food Chem 2012;60:5121-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf205350k
- Ku CS, Mun SP. Antioxidant activities of ethanol extracts from seeds in fresh Bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miq.) and wine processing waste. Bioresour Technol 2008;99:4503-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.08.063
- Chou WH, Oinaka T, Kanamaru F, Mizutani K, Chen FH, Tanaka O. Diterpene glycosides from leaves of Chinese Rubus chingii and fruits of R. suavissimus, and identification of the source plant of the Chinese folk medicine "fu-pen-zi". Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 1987;35:3021-4. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.35.3021
- Hattori M, Kuo KP, Shu YZ, Tezuka Y, Kikuchi T, Namba T. A triterpene from the fruits of Rubus chingii. Phytochemistry 1988;27:3975-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(88)83061-9
- Ohtani K, Miyajima C, Takahasi T, Kasai R, Tanaka O, Hahn DR, Naruhashi N. A dimeric triterpene-glycoside fromRubus coreanus. Phytochemistry 1990;29:3275-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(90)80199-Q
- Lim JD, Yu CY, Kim MJ, Yun SJ, Lee SJ, Kim NY, Chung IM. Comparision of SOD activity and phenolic compound contents in various Korean medicinal plants. Korean J Med Crop Sci 2004;12:191-202.
- Kwon KH, Cha WS, Kim DC, Shin HJ. A research and application of active ingredients in Bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miquel). Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 2006;21:405-9.
- Kim HS, Chyun JH. Effects of dietary protein level on catecholamine concentration of laparotomized rats. Korean J Nutr 1992;25:248-55.
- Reitman S, Frankel S. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am J Clin Pathol 1957;28:56-63. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/28.1.56
- Wada M, Nagano M, Kido H, Ikeda R, Kuroda N, Nakashima K. Suitability of TBA method for the evaluation of the oxidative effect of non-water-soluble and water-soluble rosemary extracts. J Oleo Sci 2011;60:579-84. https://doi.org/10.5650/jos.60.579
- Peterson GL. Review of the Folin phenol protein quantitation method of Lowry, Rosebrough, Farr and Randall. Anal Biochem 1979;100:201-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90222-7
- Basu S. Carbon tetrachloride-induced lipid peroxidation: eicosanoid formation and their regulation by antioxidant nutrients. Toxicology 2003;189:113-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00157-4
- Sicilia T, Mally A, Schauer U, Pähler A, Völkel W. LC-MS/MS methods for the detection of isoprostanes (iPF2alpha-III and 8,12-iso-iPF2alpha-VI) as biomarkers of CCl4-induced oxidative damage to hepatic tissue. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2008;861:48-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2007.11.021
- Weber LW, Boll M, Stampfl A. Hepatotoxicity and mechanism of action of haloalkanes: carbon tetrachloride as a toxicological model. Crit Rev Toxicol 2003;33:105-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/713611034
- Mourelle M, Meza MA. CCl4-induced lipoperoxidation triggers a lethal defect in the liver plasma membranes. J Appl Toxicol 1990;10:23-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jat.2550100105
- Hsiao G, Shen MY, Lin KH, Lan MH, Wu LY, Chou DS, Lin CH, Su CH, Sheu JR. Antioxidative and hepatoprotective effects of Antrodia camphorata extract. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51: 3302-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf021159t
- Basarkar PW, Nath N. Cholesterol lowering action of vitamin P-like compounds in rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1981;19:787-9.
- Matsumoto N, Okushio K, Hara Y. Effect of black tea polyphenols on plasma lipids in cholesterol-fed rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1998;44:337-42. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.44.337
- Giannini EG, Testa R, Savarino V. Liver enzyme alteration: a guide for clinicians. CMAJ 2005;172:367-79. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1040752
- Activation of Nrf2 Protects against Triptolide-Induced Hepatotoxicity vol.9, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0100685
- Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Sponge Cakes with Rubus coreanus Powder vol.20, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2015.20.3.204
- Rubus coreanus Miquel extract causes apoptosis of doxorubicin-resistant NCI/ADR-RES ovarian cancer cells via JNK phosphorylation vol.13, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.4996
- Natural Products for Prevention and Treatment of Chemical-Induced Liver Injuries vol.17, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12335