- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors associated with Postpartum Depression and Its Influence on Maternal Identity
산후우울의 영향요인과 모성 정체성과의 관련성
- Jung, Yoen Yi (Division of Research and Development, Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation) ;
- Kim, Hae Won (College of Nursing, Research Institute of Nursing Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.11.27
- Accepted : 2014.02.11
- Published : 2014.03.31
Purpose: This study aimed to examine the factors associated with postpartum depression and its influence on maternal identity of postpartum women. Methods: Research design was a cross sectional descriptive study with a total of 89 women within the six month postpartum period. Associations of eating habits, overall sleep quality and other factors with postpartum depression utilizing the Korean Beck Depression Inventory (K-BDI) were done. The influence of postpartum depression on maternal identity was analyzed. Variables yielding significant associations (p<.05) were included in an adjusted logistic regression and a stepwise multiple regression. Results: Mean scores of postpartum depression was
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of selfreported postpartum depressive symptoms-17 states, 2004- 2005. MMWR: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2008; 57(14):361-366.
- Lee SO, Yeo JH, Ahn SH, Lee HS, Yang HJ, Han MJ. Postpartum depressive score and related factors pre- and post-delivery. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2010;16(1): 29-36. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.29
- Song JE. Influencing factors of postpartum depression between 4 to 6 weeks after childbirth in the postpartum women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2009;15(3):216-223. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.3.216
- Youn JH, Jeong IS. Predictors of postpartum depression: Prospective cohort study. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(2):225-235. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.225
- Yeo JH. Postpartum depression and its predictors at six months postpartum. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2006;12(4):355-362.
- Beck CT. Predictors of postpartum depression. Nursing Research. 2001;50(5):275-285. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00004
- Park YJ, Shin HJ, Ryu HS, Cheon SH, Moon SH. The predictors of postpartum depression. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2004;34(5):722-728. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.722
- Choi SY, Gu HJ, Ryu EJ. Effects of fatigue and postpartum depression on maternal perceived quality of life (MAPP-QOL) in early postpartum mothers. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2011;17(2):118-125. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.2.118
- Cho EJ. Subjective sleep quality in depressed and non-depressed mothers during the late postpartum period. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2009;15(2):108-120. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.108
- O'Keane V, Marsh MS. Depression during pregnancy. British Medical Journal. 2007;334(7601):1003-1005. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39189.662581.55
- Bowen A, Muhajarine N. Prevalence of antenatal depression in women enrolled in an outreach program in Canada. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing. 2006;35 (4):491-498. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00064.x
- Leigh B, Milgrom J. Risk factors for antenatal depression, postnatal depression, and parenting stress. BMC Psychiatry. 2008;8(24):1-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-8-1
- Barr JA. Postpartum depression, delayed maternal adaptation, and mechanical infant caring: A phenomenological hermeneutic study. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2008;45(3):362-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2006.10.002
- Logsdon MC, Wisner KL, Pinto-Foltz MD. The impact of postpartum depression on mothering. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 2006;35(5):652-658. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00087.x
- Kwon MK, Kim HW, Kim NS, Jang JA. Postpartum depression and maternal role confidence, parenting stress, and infant temperament in mothers of young infants. Child Health Nursing Research. 2006;12(3):314-321.
- Kim JI. A validation study on the translated Korean version of the Edinbergh postnatal depression scale. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2006;12(3):204-209.
- Kim JI. Related factors to postpartum care performance in postpartum women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2007;13(2):98-104.
- Kim HW, Jung YY. Influencing factors on antenatal depression. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2010;16(2): 95-104. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.2.95
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Lee YH. The relations between attribution style, life events, event attribution, hopeless and depression. [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 1993.
- Kwon MK. Antenatal depression and mother-fetal interaction. Child Health Nursing Research. 2007;13(4):416-426.
- Kim HW, Hong KJ. Development of a maternal identity scale for pregnant women. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 1996;26(3):531-543.
- Kim HW. Associations of dietary intake levels with ante-natal depression. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2011; 17(3):256-264. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.256
- Kim HW, Jung YY. Effects of antenatal depression and antenatal characteristics of pregnant women on birth outcomes: A prospective cohort study. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2012;42(4): 477-485. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.4.477
- Sung TL. Understandable statistical analysis using SPSS/AMOS: From descriptive statistics to structural equation model. Seoul: Hakjisa; 2007.
- Field T. Postpartum depression effects on early interactions, parenting, and safety practices: A review. Infant Behavior and Development. 2010;33(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2009.10.005
- Buysse DJ, Reynold III CF, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Research. 1989;28 (2):193-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- Leung BM, Kaplan BJ. Perinatal depression: Prevalence, risks, and the nutrition link-a review of the literature. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009;109(9):1566-1575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.06.368
- Kim HW, Hwang MS, Hong KJ. Primipara 's maternal identity and self confidence for caring the baby during the immediate postpartum period. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 1998;4(1):84-102.
- Song JE, Ahn JA. Effect of intervention programs for improving maternal adaptation in Korea: Systematic review. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2013;19(3):129-141. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.3.129